Need Help!! CCW 1911(KIMBER OR SPRINGFIELD)

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by Glock26in, Feb 1, 2010.

1. Glock26in

Glock26in

Hi everyone, I have been on this website for a few months here but recently register!! Seeing how income taxes will be returning soon im in the market for a small frame 1911. I have been looking at the Kimber Ultra Carry and the Springfield EMP. I have picked up and handle both and unfortunately my local range doesnt have either so shooting them are not an option. PLEASE give me some feedback on these to pistols!!! Thanks alot and this website ROCKS

2. ronin.45

ronin.45

If it's just between those two I would go Springfield. I never cared for the Kimber's. I have had very good luck with the SA's I've owned.

3. Cole125

Cole125 Silver Member

Springfield EMP, hands down. I personally don't care for Kimber too much, a friend got one and it was a POS. Plus they are overpriced.

4. fnfalguy

fnfalguy Supreme Advisor

I've shot several Kimber Ultra Carry's and owned one of Kimber's first Compact 1911s and I'd strongly recommend getting either of these pistols!

;)

5. rfd339

rfd339 Silver Member

6. Southpaw69

Southpaw69

I think they're overpriced as well. The quality is hit and miss it seems.

7. chuckman

chuckman

Personally I wouldn't carry anything other than a full-size 1911, and my main carry 1911 is an alloy-frame SA Mil-Spec. I also CC a full-size SIG 1911. My two drachmas.

8. VanguardMP

VanguardMP

Between my wife and I we own five Kimbers. Two of them are Ultra Carry II's. All are extremely reliable and accurate. I was surprised at how accurate and easy to shoot the UCII's were. You won't go wrong with the Kimber. If you want a 9mm, Kimber also has an UCII model chambered for that, but I prefer the .45 ACP.

VMP

9. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

I've got five Kimbers. Four are Ultras.
    [​IMG]

Fiends have another 8 or 9 Kimbers.
    It wouldn't trouble me at all to grab any one of these Kimbers in a defense situation.

I can carry any gun I want and I choose the Kimber Ultras.

Even the least expensive Kimber, the Ultra Carry, is very accurate.

[​IMG]

I own no Springfield pistols but I like the looks of the EMP.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2010
  10. Wyoming

Wyoming

M2

Thank you for proving that Kimbers are not POS. I own booth brands and I'm considering getting a LWT Comander type for CCW. I own two H&K 45 UPSc that I carry. They do fine but are a little wide.

11. keninnavarre

keninnavarre bulletproof

I dont own a Kimber, so cant help there. I do have a Springfield EMP .40. Its a fine pistol but I think its overpriced for what it is. Very accurate, kind of heavy to carry here in Florida in the summer. My EMP will probably get traded one day.
    All my Springfield pistols have been great, by the way.

12. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

When I find something that works I stick with it. I was so impressed with the first Kimbers I shot years ago I had to buy one. It was such a great gun I bought a Ultra, then three more.
    Quite simply, if they weren't terrific guns I wouldn't buy them.

A friend was shooting one of my Kimbers. He was doing better than he usually does. After a few magazines he just stood there looking at the gun, the target and me.
    After a minute he said, "You know, I always thought you were a good shot but now I see it's your Kimbers". :supergrin:

I have no doubt that the other gun brands also make some fine guns to. I just haven't had an opportunity to try them.

13. Glock26in

Glock26in

Things for all the wonderful information. I have been leaning towards the Kimber but just wanted to get everyone else thought. I really do like the Springfield tho I have never liked their XD series but i sure there is a huge difference. What is the going price or a deal on a Kimber UC11

14. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

I haven't paid any attention to them in a while but I guess the gun show price is about $700.

This is a cool Kimber picture.
    I just started teaching this young lady to shoot and this is her second day, having never touched a gun before.
    I introduced her to the Kimber Compact Carry. She shot several mags at 10 yards, the furtherest distance she had shot until then.

For the heck of it I ran her through the Texas concealed carry qualification course.
    50 timed shots, from 1 shot in 2 seconds at 3 yards, to 5 shots in 15 seconds at 15 yards.

She scored 242/250 with the Kimber.:)
    [​IMG]

15. Zombie Steve

Zombie Steve Decap Pin Killa

I can't comment on the compacts themselves, but I had a TLE II that was a terrible experience - 3% failure to feed after a trip back to Kimber. Sold it. Bought a Springfield TRP. Works great. Love it.

My experience with Kimber's customer service was horrible. I got major attitude from everyone I talked to.

I did have to get in touch with Springfield once for an M1A issue - they asked me if I was comfortable installing the part (taller front sight) myself, asked for my address and shipped it. 3 days later, all was good.

Just my experience with both companies.

16. Zombie Steve

Zombie Steve Decap Pin Killa

17. DEADLYACCURATE

DEADLYACCURATE Senior Member

Not really a 1911 guy, but :welcome:.

18. VanguardMP

VanguardMP

I think most of the prices I've seen lately were $750-850. My wife initially had trouble with her UCII slide locking open an full magazine. I read some other threads about the same issue and discovered it was contributed to the slide lock. I called Kimber and spoke to one of their reps and asked him to send me a new slide lock. Within 2 days it was at the house. It totally solved the issue.

VMP

19. Magus

Magus Deo Vindice

Personally, I'd stay away from micro-compact 1911's from any company. It's such a deviation from the original design and there are noted issues with the compact models in terms of reliability and function.

If I had to pick between Kimber and Springfield though, I'd go Springfield any day of the week due to their customer service. It's second to none. You have an issue with your gun, they will make it right. Kimber in my experience and in the experience of others I know....not so much. Good luck.

20. Glock26in

Glock26in

Thanks for all the wonderful information everyone. Im really going to have to think about this purchase. Im going to try my hardest to shot at least one of the two!