close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Need help buying fishing gear.

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by -, Jul 13, 2004.

1. Guest

I am about to embark on recreational fly-fishing, to be guided by a friend. Also will include my 14 yr old son! NOW - I'll need to buy rod/reel combo. Need input on where to buy a good value - whether new or used - the equipment. I just refuse to go buy at a sporting goods counter straight retail. Figure there must be some used market in such stuff as there is for firearms.

2. Nowhere Man

Nowhere Man

Was your first gun used? I think you would do much better buying new. FWIW.

Dave

3. Dieseler

Dieseler Temet nosce

Check around the usual suspects, I got a killer deal on a graphite 8ft fly rod at a local pawn shop.

Do a search on Google for flyfishing forums, such places always have a FS/FTT section.

Guns I have no problem with used, but for some reason I prefer to buy the majority of my fishing gear new.

4. fajizzle nizzle

fajizzle nizzle

Cabela's has a good selection of combo packages. Just be sure you know what size/weight of rod you'll need for the fishing you'll be doing.

5. shrpshtr

shrpshtr

if you can give me the info of what you'll be primarily using the fly rod combo for i could make a couple of recommendations.

i.e. trout, bass, pike, etc.

6. Dogbite

Dogbite DNT TREAD ON ME

Sometimes you can find some used stuff at a pawn shop or such places,but usually it is really worn out.I started fly fishing with a "kit".It was a scientific angler kit with a line and rod matched and a booklet that showed the sometimes hairy knots used in fly fishing.I love it and have caught some fish--so it worked out well.Good luck!!!

7. Esox357

Esox357

Your better off buying a combo kit from cabela's or like. I bought a St James Combo for a little under a 100 dollars and used that for everything from pike to bluegills. They now offer a Sweet Water kit that is mostly for panfish, trout, and bass. I bought a light rig to make the "fight" that much more on our small fish here in Nebraska. I think the kit cost me a little over a 100 dollars with a case and "upgraded reel". Depending on the species of fish I will recommend a few things. For fishing pike and bass only you should be in the 9 1/2 foot length of rod, With a 8-10 weight line. (I like the two piece rods.) for small creeks panfish and trout to 10 inches. Esox357

8. striderglock

striderglock HVACR

I have yet to find a decent place for used fishing gear. What I have seen used is overpriced and/or in bad condition. I would prefer to buy new anyway. Bass Pro has a huge sale in the spring, I pick up what I need then.

9. A_Swede_17_1911

A_Swede_17_1911

Why dont you ask your friend who is going to be your guide what he suggests, I have a St Croix fly rod and i really like its on of the entry level rods and it was around $100 and Im using a Cortland reel if i remeber right, I would suggest buying quality equpiment, you dont have to buy top of the line but you want well made and built equipment and dont go cheap on the fly line either get a good quality line, since its the wieght of the line you cast. I would ask some local guides that guide fly fishing trips what equipment they suggest. Since they want good reliable equipment.