Need Help - Buying a shirt for a suit when your neck is too big

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Gino, Jan 27, 2013.

1. Gino

Gino Millennium Member

I'm a causal guy. No ties/suits unless I'm interviewing for a job (and that's been a while). My dad is in bad health and is not expected to last very long - funeral eminent. I tried on my last button down shirt, and my neck seems to have grown a bit since my last wearing it. (This shirt is prob older than some of you reading this.)

I have an 18 inch neck and a 32 inch long arm. Where the hell do I find a shirt that will fit? All the 18 inch necks I find look like a tent on me, and no 32 inch arms either.

I tried a neck extender, but the difference is too much. All the dept stores around me are a no-go.

Can anyone recommend a national retailer that sells these shirts? I don't want to spend big bucks on a tailored shirt. How about someone that sells over the net?

Thanks for any help,
    Gino

2. Patchman

Patchman Florist

First, make sure the 18-inch neck is comfortable for you. You can slightly increase the neck by moving the collar button a 1/4-inch or so.

Yeah, there are very few 18 neck shirts with 32-inch length arms. At best, the arms are 33-34-inches. Usually 35-36-inches.

Try going to a dry cleaner that has a tailor. See if the tailor can alter the arms for you, as well around the body (definitely the body is easy). Cost will probably be around $20.

3. 2bgop

2bgop

If you have a Dillard's close and have a few days, they could order you a 18 32x33 dress shirt. The gold label shirts they have are under $50 and not bad quality.

4. moeman

moeman

As long as your waist isn't big too, athletic cut shirts taper down from the neck/shoulders to a much smaller bottom. Classic cut, American cut and full cut make the assumption that if your nec is big your gut will be too.

You may need to order off of the Internet since that is a very short sleeve length for a 18 neck.

5. Mayhem like Me

Mayhem like Me Semper Paratus

Try finding a 19 1/2 by 37 tall that you can't hide a family of 4 in....I always have to get them tailored in a the waist.

Good luck .

6. Adjuster

Adjuster

Do you have a 'Mens Wearhouse' or something similar in your town? A measured and fitted shirt is not too expensive and since it is a dress shirt it will last you several years as long as you stay the same size.

/

7. JMS

JMS 02

Mens Wearhouse
    K&G
    Big&Tall

8. DoubleWide

DoubleWide

Honestly, there seems to be a lot of brands that will fit you in the neck and waist. I've seen extreme slim, slim, and athletic in the most major department stores and Banana Republic. The big problem is the 32" sleeves as most are 34/35. You'd have to get them tailored, but it shouldn't be too bad.

I can find 18 34/35 all day long in any type of fit. 18 1/2 shortens the list. After that, you need to get a tailor if you're not fat.

I've got to get 22" neck in shirts now. A Big and Tall will put the armpit seam about 5" from my arm pit. Ugh. I did the $20-25 starter special from ModernTailor.com. The shirt fit well, but I would make some adjustments on the next one. It's a thinner white shirt, but nice quality. I think it took 2 weeks to get. It's supposed to take longer if you get a custom fabric. It's really nice being able to wear a tie when required.

The other option is smaller shirt with no tie. I really wouldn't want to wear a tie to my dad's funeral anyways.

9. Hines57

Hines57 Simple Member

Sorry your father is not doing well

10. MrKandiyohi

MrKandiyohi Millennium Member

CasualMale.com is a big & tall store, and there are 3 in Orlando.

A fallback is to wear a short sleeve shirt under the jacket. I don't know if people would notice the missing cuffs. It shouldn't look bad with the jacket off either. It is hot Florida, of course.

11. DoubleWide

DoubleWide

You won't find anything at Casual Male as you're neither big nor tall.

12. bha0198

bha0198

Sorry to hear about your family stuff.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2013
  13. Huaco Kid

Huaco Kid

Ask Jabba.

Oh, wait.

In all the galaxy, he couldn't find a shirt, either.

14. mnhogrider

mnhogrider

Go to a men's store of your choice.
    Tell them you want to buy a dress shirt and you'd like to be measured because you don't know your size.
    They'll measure your neck, chest and arm length.
    They'll pick out several colors for you to choose from.
    Don't just pick one out, pay for it and leave. Try it on and make sure it fits.

Hope your Dads OK.

15. michael_b

michael_b Elementary, my dear Watson.

Do you have a Men's Warehouse nearby? They will have it or fit one for you.

Sorry to hear about your father.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2013
  16. RWBlue

RWBlue Mr. CISSP, CISA CLM

+1

OR

They make a button with a rubber band attachment. This allows you to wear your current shirt and have the neck a little larger. If I remember correctly these were very cheap. I am thinking Joann fabrics or .....Google may be your friend.

17. Short Cut

Short Cut PatrioticMember CLM

+1 on the Men's Wearhouse. They do pretty good on big and tall sizes and the have a tailor.

18. captainstormy

captainstormy

I have an odd build for suit shirts too. You probably won't get a great fit off the rack. I typically have to order my suit shirts because I need a 42 inch sleeve.

Best bet IMO would be to find an actual Suit Shop / Tailor and see if they can help you.