Need help about these guns.. like this Colt SAA

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by Deaf Smith, Apr 1, 2010.

1. Deaf Smith

Deaf Smith

Guys,

A friend of mine as a few guns he want's to know the values of.

One is a Colt SAA. 4 5/8 barrel but the barrel has no markings. The frame as the serial number in the right place and the backstrap as the last for digits of the same serial number. But I can't find any stamped colt 'horse' on the gun, nor any markings on the barrel. I think it's 3ed generation. The grips are Colt, I think, gutta percha. The colt logo is very faded on them. I suspect a put-together.

He also had a Winchester '73, long 26 inch barrel, in 38-40. Decent shape and seems to work fine. It has all the Winchester markings for that period and I'm sure it's not a put-together (like maybe the Colt is.) All the markings are sharp.

He also has a Colt .32 cap-n-ball. 5 shot revolver. With all the Colt markngs and an ittsy-bittsy front sight on it. The mainspring seems to be broke as the hammer is very easy to pull back and won't fall forward. Also the grips have no screw and I can't tell how the grips are kept on the frame.

Oh, and his last gun is a High Standard Military .22 pistol. It has an exposed hammer and all the markings are sharp.

So if you have any advice as to what they are worth, or any other advice on them, please let me know.

Thanks!

Deaf

2. RonS

RonS Millennium Member

3. Deaf Smith

Deaf Smith

Much thanks. I'll check these out.

Deaf

4. arnold ziffle

arnold ziffle aka dingle

the saa is probably an early one that was rebuilt as a shooter. take out the cylinder and see if it has a removable bushing. the third gens do not. also take off the edjector shroud and see if the barrel is marked there. it might be marked christy. Christy gun works was a gunsmithing outfit that was known for rebuilding old saas. you can date it by the ser number. the earlier ones had no sa prefix or suffix. the earliest ones had the full number in three places and later the full number on the frame and a partial on the other two. sounds like one of the grip straps was replaced hence no number. if it's in good working order it's worth about 800 if it indeed is a rebuilt colt.

the Winchester and high standardwould have to be seen to to determine condition and originality.

the other colt sounds like an 1849 pocket model. a picture would help. again condition and originality mean everything. the grips are held on by the two backstraps and are one piece of walnut.

if you send me pics ,or I could send you pics of mine if that would help.

Matt