Need help. 100% CPU usage playing video or on facebook

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by DTLarson, Jan 6, 2010.

1. DTLarson

DTLarson

I have a problem that my computer uses 100% of the CPU and slows way down when I am playing internet video such as Hulu or using facebook. Both IE and Firefox will end up maxing out the CPU usage. It doesn't happen right away. It is usually takes about 5 min for the slowdown to start happening.

I have Norton Internet Security 2010, I have run Spybot and AdAware. Spybot originally found two things and cleaned them. The problem persisted.

I have a Dell Inspiron 2200 1.4GHZ and 1.25GB of RAM. running Win XP home Service Pack 3.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. GIockGuy24

GIockGuy24 Bring M&M's

Norton 2010 should be better than Spybot and Adaware even for spyware. Norton is pretty heavy by itself. It should not have any other security software installed with it. You can try Malwarebytes if you think Norton is missing something. It sounds like your Norton is new. I don't know if you paid for it or can reinstall it but Microsoft now has Security Essentials. It is very fast and fairly easy on the system. It is complete and works well. If you install it make sure you fully uninstall Norton and restart first.

3. GIockGuy24

GIockGuy24 Bring M&M's

Oh, since it seems graphics / video related it's important with laptops, and especially Dell laptops, to use graphics / video drivers that are directly from Dell. Even if Windows updates tells you there is a newer version you can download you shouldn't use Windows update drivers in laptops.

4. Isaiah1412

Isaiah1412

Are you sure it is IE/Firefox that is pegging your CPU? As in you are watching the CPU usage for that process in Task Manager and it is climbing to 100%? It sounds like malware, but if it was it would happen all the time, not just when watching video. Could be bad drivers as someone mentioned, or a codex issue in whatever is used to stream video from that source. Make sure you have the latest versions of Flash/Quicktime/Whatever and all drivers for your hardware are up to date from the vendor.

Oh I just noticed you have Norton installed, is the stupid "web security" thing turned on? Norton is notorious for being a CPU hog during scans normally, and the "web security" option or whatever they call it scans not only data your are downloading, but also checks links on sites as you visit them. If you're trying to stream video with it on I'm surprised your system hasn't fled in terror yet.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2010
  5. M4inCA

M4inCA pho_kit_all

I see two major problems.

First off, Norton IS is a joke and really robs resources from the PC.

I would suggest AVIRA or AVAST free edition.

For anti-spyware - Windows Defender (also free)

Additionally, you are limited by the 1.4ghz proc (Assuming this is Pentium M) and only 1.25GB ram.

Upgrade the ram to 2GB (PC2700 DDR SDRAM sodimm) which you should be able to get for under $60 for 2 sticks of 1GB/ea.

Lastly, if you REALLY want to get better performance, ditch XP and go Win7.

YES, you can install Win7 on your 1.4ghz machine. (I have it on a 1.2ghz HP with 2GB of ram)

6. GIockGuy24

GIockGuy24 Bring M&M's

Speaking of Windows Defender, first Microsoft says it's no longer being distributed by MS (others still have it) but they still offer definition updates. Now even they don't seem to work anymore. But the biggest issue is many new up to date antivirus programs conflict with Windows Defender. For some just switching off the real time protection of Windows Defenders will work. Others require that it be completely uninstalled. Many newer antivirus programs go deeper in to the system will conflict with other antivirus / antispyware programs.

7. Isaiah1412

Isaiah1412

While not a blazingly fast machine, a 1.4ghz Pentium and 1.2gig of RAM is perfectly adequate for surfing the web and watching streaming video. Hell millions of people do this on cell phones with no more than a quarter of that. If its running at 100% CPU while doing this something else is going on. I am leaning towards Norton.

8. JK-linux

JK-linux

Video sucks down processing cycles, especially Flash video. What video format are you streaming?

9. DTLarson

DTLarson

I disabled Norton and it seemed to run a bit better, but the video was still jumpy. I will check the video card driver tonight.