close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Need GSSF experiences with G37

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by leedesert, Feb 9, 2005.

1. leedesert

leedesert Diss--Member

Hi everyone. I know it's been a loooooong time since i've been on the board and I apologize. My new career has left me little time chat like I use to.

I'm planning on purchasing a G37 and I want your opinion on it's performance.
    I know I could ask this in general Glock but I chose here because I know some of you and trust your experiences at GSSF matches. I'm happy with my 21 and 30 but am very intrigued with the 45 GAP.

2. Fireglock

Fireglock Which is worse?

Well you don't want my opinion on the 37 but it's nice to see you post. I'm sure our resident GAPites will give you plenty of info shortly. ;f

3. Don At PC

Don At PC Senior Member Millennium Member

WOW-----What a surprise. Have not seen you around for seems like years. Well here is my opinion, I do have a G37 and have shot it in 13 matches soon to be 14 after Orlando. Now IF you reload it is a great shooter for Stock Categories. It is very accurate but I prefer my reloads instead of factory for GSSF Shooting. You will find that if you load lite you can add the Glock +2 base on the standard 10 round mag and that will give you 1 additional round and will also cycle with 11 rounds loaded. If you use factory ammo it doesn't make any difference. Dan also built a U/L G37 with Red Dot and Carver Mount. It feels nice and shoots nice but I still prefer my G17L by far in the U/L category. There are several bullet manufactures that are marketing the Gap now but so far Star Line and Winchester are the only companies selling virgin brass. A lot of folks bad mouth it and even some ranges say they don't like it but that doesn't compute very well because once fired brass is hard to come by, or at least I have not been able to find one piece of once fired brass to buy.

Are you ever going to show up at another GSSF Match? Would be great to see you again.

4. MPG1737

MPG1737 Beer Me

What is your opinion on the 37? Biased? Annoying? Willfully ignorant? Or a little of all three?

5. leedesert

leedesert Diss--Member

I plan on attending matches again but my schedule forced me to re-prioritize some things.
    Let me rephrase that......due to my schedule my WIFE made me reprioritize some things.

Their...the truth always feels better...;f

I'm planning on buying this as an off duty gun in place of my G30. Someone offered me $550 for my modified G30 and due to my mid life crisis I felt like something new. I looked at a few other brands and as usual, I always end up back with a Glock. I figured the 37 would give me something new while staying with Glock.

6. Don At PC

Lee;

The new G38 is also a good consideration. The only drawback is the G38 is 8+1 where the 30 is 10+1 but the G38 is the G23/19 size frame except is a GAP. That is what they shot at the 1st Gunny Match and I have heard nothing but great reports.

7. Don At PC

Now, lets just lighten up here. Fireglock did NOT bad mouth the G37 he merely said he was not the person to give reviews on it. He was also conversing with an old friend that has been out of touch a long time. Afterall the G37 is not for everyone just like a Ford or Chevy is not for everyone.:)

8. Custom Glock Racing

Custom Glock Racing I did it first. Millennium Member

Like all small frame guns the finger grooves dont fit and I would resping the gun to speed up the slide. Other than that its a great gun, the 38 adn 39 shoot great also. GAP is a great cartridge, superior to the ACP and in a smaller package.

9. Fireglock

Fireglock Which is worse?

Oh my, I've been put in my place by a chimpanzee from Michigan. ;Q

It's not the gun we were shown at the Shot Show. I have one, ordered at the Shot Show in Orlando, but have never bothered to shoot it. I have shot DEJ's U/L and Bobby's stock gun but I'm happy to compete with my 17 and 17L. As to the GAP cartridge, I am neither hot nor cold.

Don't worry Don, I just stepped on a GAPite's toes. ;f Funny, it doesn't bother Rusty, Dannyr, Dan, Bobby, or you if I don't like it. :)

10. MPG1737

MPG1737 Beer Me

What do you have against Michigan, and chimapanzees?! Anyways, thats an orangutan.;)

11. GJM89

GJM89

Having been lucky enough to have shot the 38 at the SHOT show I was duly impressed. Having not shot the 37, I will say that people at the Gunny Challenge that have shot the 37 say that the 38 had less felt recoil, but as we all know that's all up to the individual. Also shot the 39 after the match with a 38 mag., it also ran very well. Published ballistics show the GAP and the ACP to be equals and I don't think a legetimate target will know the difference. Mag capacity at 8 + 1 or 6 + 1 for the 39 is enough, isn't that why spare mags were invented. Sorry Matt, can't agree with changing springs on a carry for real sidearm is a good idea, gotta believe that the Glock Engineers have got that figured out for factory ammo. At this time there is a much wider choise of holsters for the ACP family. Hey, for what it's worth I've carried every day for the last 33 yrs. and as long as it's a Glock I'm happy.

12. DaleGribble

DaleGribble Sandwich!

It's an orangutan!

;f

13. Rusty Phillips

Rusty Phillips Moderator Millennium Member

so, you are now without a 30? or did you have two and sold one of them?

if it's a GSSF gun / G30 replacement, then you really should wait for the G38 with 8 rounds (and pretty much a very similar profile to the G30).

Get the G38 (with 2 8 rounders) and then buy 4 G37 10 rounders and you would be good to go for GSSF.

I REALLY like my 37, but must admit that the only reason I initially bought it was because I thought I might win a Glock in the G37 raffle. If it hadn't been for that I was going to get a G30 (that I have been saving up forever for).

Of course I didnt win anything in the raffle..... but I bought a great new Glock!!!!!

If they do not continue the raffle next year (I dont think they will) I am not sure if I will shoot the 37 or go back to my 9mm's. As Don said - being that GSSF matches are lost brass matches - the fact that once fired GAP brass is not exactly plentiful kind of sucks.

The cost of the brass that you leave on the ground is not really all that much when you compare to putting gasoline in the beast and driving to Jacksonville or Richmond and back, but every little bit counts.

Having said that - if I decide to continue shooting my 37 in AmCiv it will be because I am able to shoot it so much better than any of my other Glocks. It baffles the heck out of my how that 37 can make my 34 and 24 look so bad!

Im going to be very interested in getting some trigger time on the 38/39.

14. Rusty Phillips

Rusty Phillips Moderator Millennium Member

you know, I could maybe sell the 34 and the 24 and buy a whole lot of Winchester 230 grain 45 GAP ammo,

or a G38 and a good bit of ammo.

15. Custom Glock Racing

I respectfully disagree. Glock sets up the guns for a average shooter and a broad range of uses and loads (aka lowest common denominator). When a gun it sprung for a certain job, load and shooter it can be vastly improved, even for carry and factory ammo.

16. Custom Glock Racing

I agree with you here, I shot one of the thin slide protos and it was awesome, I was very dissapointed to see the fat production slides.

17. MPG1737

MPG1737 Beer Me

The heavier slide makes more sense from an engineering standpoint. The original "thin slide" relied heavily upon it's spring to slow the otherwise excessive slide speed. The "fat" slide relies on it's natural mass to slow the slide. It also makes the gun more controllable for follow up shots.

I personally find the 37 to be the best looking of the Glock pistols. The wider slide actually is very proportionate, and well balanced.

18. Custom Glock Racing

And to me the fat slide just means I need to respring to gun to get the slide speed up again.

19. G7

G7 Mostly Metric

Matt -

What spring weights have you experimented with, in the 37? What weight works best for GSSF (with light target loads)?

Does the 37 use a 17# stock spring, like a lot of other Glocks?

Thanks !

20. Don At PC

G7;

Not trying to steel Matts thunder but I have found that the ISMI 13# spring works great in a G37 setup as an Unlimited gun for GSSF. Of course for all other GSSF Categories it must stay with the stock spring.:)