close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Need G22 advise please

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Ski2me, Apr 14, 2012.

1. Ski2me

Ski2me Glock Envy

I bought a G22C for my wife. Of course she complained about the recoil. So I bought a Lone Wolf 40-9 conversion barrel. We just tried it for the first time today. It would jam about three times per every magazine. We shot a couple hundred rounds. It would fire the round but wouldn't eject it. It would expand the case to where I had to remove the barrel and pry the brass out. It would always be about an eighth of an inch from being fully seated in the chamber. I was using the original spring and the 40 cal magazines.

I hope someone has had a similar experience and can tell me what to do about it.

Could poorly sized brass cause this to happen? I was shooting Bitterroot Valley Re-manufactured ammo. I've never had a problem with the 40 S&W that I get from them,.
    I have a G20 with a Lone Wolf 10-40 conversion and have never had a single problem with it. It would take any cheap crap I put through it.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2012
  2. kaech

kaech

sounds like the barrel isnt really a 9mm conversion barrel if the shell cases are expanding! also when you get the right barrel sent to you use G17 mags when shooting 9mm for reliable function

3. 40 S+W

40 S+W

I've shot thousands of bitteroot valley through my Beretta 92FS.. 500 shorty forty's through my G22, they have good ammo.. Call LW and don't shoot it no more!!! Sounds like a Ka Boom coming your way..

4. voyager4520

voyager4520 -----

Take the barrel by itself(not while it's inside the gun obviously) and look through the bore from the chamber end toward a light source, see if the bore looks abnormal in any way.

If you don't see anything abnormal in the bore, try some ammo from a major name brand like Speer Lawman. I'd stay away from Winchester White Box 9mm, there have been quite a few reports of squib loads recently with that ammo.

Also you should use 9mm G17 magazines.

Poorly sized brass would likely cause the round to fail to feed rather than fail to extract. If the brass is expanding and causing a failure to extract, it usually means the brass wasn't annealed correctly.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2012
  5. ScottieG59

ScottieG59

I agree with the comment to go back to Lone Wolf. Sometimes, conversion barrels are a little bit imperfect and may need some fitting done. I have been lucky enough not to have problems with conversion barrel fit.

It is possible it is the wrong barrel or the original extractor is not happy with the 9mm brass you are using.

In any event, it does not sound safe.

Out there in fly-over country...

6. Njanear

Njanear Nagant-ophile

Take the barrel out of the gun and then drop every round that you are going to fire into its chamber - if they don't easily drop into it, then either you have out-of-spec ammo or a too-tight chamber. If they drop really deep or through it, then you have a .40 barrel. :supergrin:

As was suggested above, also get some fresh factory ammo and then do the same - if they don't easily drop in, then your chamber sounds like it is too tight.

PS: you did clean the barrel and chamber out real good before using it, to remove any sort of grease or rust preventative?

7. Arc Angel

Arc Angel Deus Vult!

So, your wife is having trouble with 40 caliber recoil - Huh! How odd. ;)

First, I'd stop using that ammo. Something about it doesn't sound right. (Overcharged?) Reliability will increase if you use a 9mm extractor and SLB, too. If you look real close at your spent primers you should see the FP is striking off to one side rather than dead center. This is a characteristic of 40 to 9 conversions. Some shooters, also, change the magazine followers from 40 to 9, too.

Go to Wal-Mart; try some of their Federal, or Remington/UMC ammo. Expensive it ain't.

8. Ski2me

Ski2me Glock Envy

Thanks for the advise everyone. There were a lot of good suggestions. I took NJanear's suggestion and checked a new box of Federal. All of the ammo fit just as it should. So I went back to an unopened box of the re-manufactured ammo and tried 15 rounds. Of the ones I tried two wouldn't fully chamber. See my pics.

http://www.uppervalleyguide.com/brass.html

The first view is a normally chambered round. I've used BRV ammo for years and never had a problem but this is the first 9mm I've bought from them. Maybe the barrel has tighter tolerances.

9. Ejayisson

Ejayisson

The first time I went to use my Lonewolf barrel I loaded a G17 magazine up with re-manufactured ammo. I couldn't even cycle the gun properly as it was out of spec, and didn't seat right in the barrel. It was too snug, and wasn't far enough in the barrel. After switching to Winchester/Federal ammo from Walmart I didn't have that issue.

In the last 3 weeks I've put 600 rounds thru the barrel now, and no jams what so ever. The only problem I ever find is brass flying back into my face, which to be expected since I'm using a .40 extractor.

10. Arc Angel

Arc Angel Deus Vult!

Whoa! I'm surprised your pistol was still firing those out-of-spec rounds, OOB, like that; but, apparently, it was. Yes, LWD barrels have very tight, 'match-grade' chambers. If you want your particular chamber opened up, LWD will do it for the cost of shipping. All ya got 'a do is call them.

11. Ski2me

Ski2me Glock Envy

Thank you Arc Angel. I plan on reloading and shooting lead on the range so I think I'll have LWD do that.