Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
15,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After another sub-par range session with my G35, I'm in need of some guidance on increasing accuracy of this pistol.

Don't tell me it's me. It's not. My XDS 40 easily out shoots the 35. My G29 out shoots them both.

I bought a G29 last year for woods carry and was amazed at it's accuracy. I was getting just over an inch groups and the trigger was crisp and light. I installed a Lone Wolf .40 S&W conversion barrel and get similar groups.

I used it for GSSF indoor matches and did pretty good. I bought the G35 specifically for GSSF indoor matches.

Using some loads I developed for the G29 and some new loads that tend to do very well in most .40 S&W pistols, I shot it last weekend down at the cabin in less than ideal conditions.

Best group I could manage was 2 3/4" at around 25yds (cabin range distance wasn't confirmed). The XDS did an inch better, which is substantial. I noticed that the groups didn't have any odd fliers or anything; pretty consistently all over the place.

Some opined that maybe I wasn't getting a consistent sight picture with the stock sights so I ordered a set of Dawson fiber optic sights and installed them. I loaded up some more custom loads and took it to my dad's range today which is a measured 25yds, has a secure bench, sand bags, and is where I do all of my accuracy testing.

Best I could get today was 3 3/8" using some of the same loads as the cabin session and some new flavors. I had a clear and consistent sight picture.

The only area I know of to improve is the trigger. It has always been heavier and grittier than the G29's untouched trigger. I have already done the polish job.

That is the only area that I can improve on. Now, I use this for GSSF, so it has to remain stock for the Stock class(except for sights). Mods for the Unlimited class are wide open, but since I shoot both interchangeably, they need to be something that is easily swapped out.

I considered trying an aftermarket barrel, but I've found in the past that they really don't offer much increase in accuracy over stock.

What else should I be looking at?

The current accuracy is acceptable for self-defense and plinking and within Glock specs. For GSSF, I shoot two 10-shot strings at 25yds off-hand and need all the accuracy I can muster.

What affects Glock accuracy? I ordered the 357 trigger bar that some say helps the trigger, but other than getting the trigger as crisp and light as possible with factory parts, I'm not sure of where to turn to next.

Maybe my G29 is just an anomaly and 3" at 25yds is the best I can expect out of a Glock pistol.

Should I try a different stock G35 barrel?

Really at a loss if improving the trigger pull doesn't achieve results. The goal is sub 2" groups at 25yds.

·
Registered
15,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Cabin results:

Circle Smoke detector Carbon monoxide detector Games

Today's results:

Shooting sport Shooting Recreation Sport venue Electronics

Metal

Shooting sport Shooting Recreation Shooting range Sport venue

·
Registered
15,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Many are but not me.

What pray tell led you to conclude that by me shooting 3" groups with one Glock and then shooting 1" groups with another Glock, then shooting sub 2" groups with my XDS all at the same range session that I need more training?

I don't see how that makes any sense at all.

·
Banned
234 Posts
Not that it would really matter If i were you i would try different ammo. I know it's the go-to response but if i shoot crap i notice it big time. Plus sometimes with a new gun if i'm not feeling good about my groups right away i just change things. Maybe a mental game? I had a G17 and upgraded to a G34 and had accuracy issues at first as well. It is a different gun and maybe it's just me but it's taken more ammo for me to feel good about my groups. Also if you are not shooting the same exact sights as a gun you are comfortable with that will take some time as well. Its a good gun, practice and don't think about it.

Reactions: Alabusa and treg

·
Exploring Alternate Routes
5,429 Posts
Practice. Try different ammo.
Get off the "But my other gun does fine" because we aren't talking about the other one.
Every barrel has its own distinct prejudice, every pistol is a little different, and a shotgun group is usually not the weapon. It is possible, and put the thing back to bone stock, shoot 400-500 through it and see what needs to change. As strange as it sounds I've heard of similar shortcomings being discussed and the return to stock solved the problem.

Good Luck

Reactions: L-2 and porschedog

·
Registered
19,820 Posts
I wish there was a way that you could test a different Glock barrel (or two) without having to lay out some cash. :dunno:
You're shooting off of sandbags for some of your testing, so problems with flinching are not likely. The triggers and sights vary little from Glock to Glock, so I don't see the likelihood of a swap there doing much good.
That's why I'd guess it would be worth a barrel swap.
Easy for me to say (it's not my money).
Or, as suggested above, maybe that gun will like a particular brand of ammo better.

·
Registered
5,768 Posts
The G35 is just being passive aggressive in retaliation for the paint job....

Or the paint job is catching your eye when shooting and making you subconsciously flinch when shooting. :D

No, it's probably your barrel. Or the ammo. Start there and then go from there.
Maybe get a fun conversion barrel for it (like 357 Sig) so you're not just out the money for no reason if it turns out to be no different.

·
Registered
15,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have noticed a preference for lighter bullets with this one.

I have a 0357 Gen 3 trigger bar on order, which is supposed to help. I'll work up some more loads tonight with the 155gr Hornady XTPs and then wait to see if the lighter trigger helps.

The trigger on my G29 is just so much lighter and crisper than this one that it's the only thing I can think of that's noticeably different.

·
1911 lover
10,182 Posts
the glock is not a high accuracy pistol. your ability to hit much better with other guns tells me the problem is with the gun or ammo. the only thing i would try is running some different ammo types and brands. sometimes one gun favors one bullet weight or ammo speed.

·
Registered
15,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think I'm up to around seven different loads for this pistol that I've shot through it and 2 3/4" is the best that it will do.

Reactions: F14A

·
Registered
60 Posts
Different ammo may help. An after market barrel may be in order. I had a G34 that I struggled with for a while. I replaced the locking block with one from Lone Wolf and that made a lot of difference. Then I had Johnny Glock go through it and upgrade the trigger. He also tightened the frame to slide fit. It shoots a LOT better now.

The bad news; misses are my fault! Good luck with yours.

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
Honestly I would say the performance you are getting out of your 29 is an anomaly. The typical glock ( regardless of model or barrel length) is typically a 3” at 25 yards give or take a bit grouper and 3” or so at 25 is well within the design parameters of the gun. You may find a gun here or there or a gun that likes a particular load or bullet weight do better but those are exceptions to the rule.

·
Registered
835 Posts
the glock is not a high accuracy pistol. your ability to hit much better with other guns tells me the problem is with the gun or ammo. the only thing i would try is running some different ammo types and brands. sometimes one gun favors one bullet weight or ammo speed.
But https://www.instagram.com/defoorproformanceshooting and Glock is the #1 pistol among the top IDPA champs have to count for something?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Pierre!

·
Registered
11,689 Posts
Honestly I would say the performance you are getting out of your 29 is an anomaly. The typical glock ( regardless of model or barrel length) is typically a 3” at 25 yards give or take a bit grouper and 3” or so at 25 is well within the design parameters of the gun. You may find a gun here or there or a gun that likes a particular load or bullet weight do better but those are exceptions to the rule.
This!

1 - 20 of 122 Posts