close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Need data for a light plinking 40s&w 180 grn lead + Unique load

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by anyplainjoe, Mar 7, 2010.

1. anyplainjoe

anyplainjoe Nobody special.

Need data for a light plinking 40s&w 180 grain lead + Unique load. Thanks in advance.

2. kubura

kubura

From the 'Loaddata.com":

Warning! Notes: Do not use reloads in Glock or similar guns with chambers that do not fully support the cartridge due to the intrusion of the feed ramp. CAUTION: With NEVER EXCEED LOADS maintain Minimum Over All Length or longer. Small Pistol Primer. (MODERN RELOADING Second Edition - Richard Lee)

Be Alert: Publisher cannot be responsible for errors in published load data.

Wt. 180 gr
    Bullet: Lead Bullet
    Powder Manufacturer: Alliant
    Powder: Unique
    Charge: 5.2
    Velocity (FPS): 919
    Remarks: start load; min. OAL: 1.125

3. Motown Fire

Motown Fire Everett

I load my 180 grain lead bullet loads with 4.7 grains of unique at 1.125 OAL. I have no leading issues after 1000+ rounds fired from my G23 and G27 with the stock barrels.

4. WiskyT

WiskyT Malcontent

Check Lyman for lead bullet data. I use a starting load of Unique which mirrors the load posted by kubura. I get 925fps out of my G27 with it and it shoots great. It is not a light plinking load, it duplicates factory ball ammo.

For a light plinker I use 3.2 Bullseye. 3.0 cycles the gun, but I get crud coming back at my face with my Beretta 96. 3.2 eliminates that. With that load, the brass falls right at my feet and I get real ggod groups.

5. fredj338

fredj338

I shoot 5gr under a 175grLRNFP for about 950fps. Unqiue is not at it's best for "light" loads in any caliber. You might want to drop to a slightly faster powder if you are trying to get good 800-850fps loads; W231, WST, RedDot, etc.

6. WiskyT

WiskyT Malcontent

Red Dot is very bulky. I bought a pound of it to see if it is about equal to Bullseye for light loads. My guess is that it will be. The extra bulk would be a good thing with the lighter loads to make the powder charge more visible. Load density would be better too, not sure if that is a big deal in 40SW or not.

I still have about 3# of Bullseye, which is a lot of Bullseye. One of these days I'll get around to trying the Red Dot. It's a new bottle and it has red flakes scattered in it. Did the old stuff have that? It's a good idea really.

7. GioaJack

GioaJack Conifer Jack

Huh? Red dots in a powder called Red Dot... who would'a thunk it. :supergrin:

Now if I can only find a powder called 'Easy Pieces'... really would provide quite a bang. :whistling:

Jack

8. fredj338

fredj338

Yep, the "Dots" have always had that colored taggant. It is a good fast powder for larger cases as it is pretty bulky. I have shot #s of it in 45colt for light loads. It works well in the 45acp too.

9. WiskyT

WiskyT Malcontent

I've gone through a few pounds of Blue Dot and Green Dot and never seen any colored dots. I guess those Ishihara tests were right!

10. dsmw5142

dsmw5142 NRA Member

My load is the same with near identical results except 180gr Missouri bullets, or BBI moly at 1.135" oal. Softer than factory for sure, but by no means a powder puff.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2010