Need car suggestions. Same thread, new budget.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by EM87, Oct 30, 2010.

1. EM87

EM87

Some of you may remember this thread:

https://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1278050

This thread is being created for exactly the same purpose, but now my price limit is set at $5000 MAXIMUM (and this is firm) and I am actually looking for a car, not just preparing for the future.

Suggestions? Can I still get a Mazda 3 or Maxima for that price?

2. samuse

samuse

Whats wrong with the Corolla? If it's still a decent car (never badly wrecked)and you only want to spend 5 grand, you might be just as well off fixing the one you have.

3. harleyfx69

harleyfx69

ya .. 5k max is not much money to meet your minimums with ..

but 5k could do a lot to your current car ..

4. EM87

EM87

Meet my minimums? This will be a cash deal.

5. hpracing007

hpracing007

Acura Integra (they come in both hatchback and sedan)

oh wait, does it still need to seat 5 or more people?

Last edited: Oct 30, 2010
  6. devildog2067

devildog2067

At that price point, you should not be looking for a specific make or model of car. You should be looking for the nicest local example of a car that meets your minimum specifications, and you take 25% of your budget and throw it in the bank for when your $4000 car breaks down.

You can buy a lot of nice stuff for 4k, but again, you should NOT be thinking "I am looking for a Mazda3." You should be thinking "I am looking for the nicest, cleanest, best-kept Japanese 4-door compact sedan I can find."

7. wrx04

wrx04

+1

Even though its nice to pay cash for a car, paying for a low $$ POS is most likely gonna cost you more in the long run. Drive the one you have until it drops, or finance a nicer car than 5k.

That being said, i currently drive a honda cr-v with almost 200,000 miles that i bought for $4k. I sold a paid off WRX, bought an '08 M3, and realized what an idoit i was since i drive about 30,000 miles/year. The crv has been 100% reliable after 10,000 miles. There are reliable cars out there for that price, but you must accept that they could crap out at any minute...there lies the risk of losing all the money you paid for the car.

My theory is this: i bought a reliable POS honda that has already depreciated as much as it will (ones with 300,000 miles were selling for $3,500). I gambled that it wont break down, but if it does i eat a loss of $4k......big deal. Or i drive it for 100,000 miles and still sell for $3k. Not a bad gamble since 95% of the miles will be easy highway miles.

8. harleyfx69

harleyfx69

meeting your minimums of 4 door, sporty and reliable ..

5k is not a lot of money, you can buy something in the neighborhood of 5-10 years old with 100-200k miles ..

You have a wide range of potential things .. but your 8k goal was a lot more realistic for what you want,

you can have 2 of your requirements for around the 5k ..

9. Crazy KD

Crazy KD

I'd agree with this except I might expand to 200-300 mile range. The previous version of the Mazda 3 was the Protege5 which is a pretty fun car.

10. TalkToTheGlock

TalkToTheGlock Zombie Hunter

My friends bought a Camry that was in excellent shape with only 60,000 miles on it for a little more than 6 grand. It is immaculate inside, outside, and engine wise. Really comfy too.

11. EM87

EM87

It makes sense to look for whatever I can find for $5000 instead of a specific model. Whatever I find will probably have a good amount of miles but will have a good maintenance record. I'm sure I can find something reliable for that amount of money.

12. Entelodont

Entelodont

As previously posted, when you reach a certain price point, it has to the best maintained and Sunday driven vehicle regardless of make and model. One of my customers has a 2nd owner lady driven '99 Cadillac De Ville with 77K on the clock for $3,500. If there wasn't a 1 1/2 year old car in my garage, I'd take a flier on it.

13. chris in va

chris in va

Last edited: Oct 31, 2010
  14. EM87

EM87

Thanks for the links! I am going to be spending most of today car shopping, methinks. Since my realistic budget is not as large as my original, I have lowered my requirements. Now the only absolute requirements are a smaller car (corolla size) with a manual transmission and good maintenance record. I would stil prefer something sportier, but that may not happen. I'll let you all know what I find in case anyone's interested in the outcome!

15. tehan2

tehan2 NRA & GOAL

Ignoring Connecticut's Unconstitutional laws
    you could own my audi wagon for $5000. . . .performance tuned, seats 5, german engineering

16. DreamWeaver88

DreamWeaver88 ...............

If you mean looking for a car within a 200-300 mile distance from your house, I wouldn't go anywhere near that far (maybe for a 1 or 2 year old car, but not a $5000 car). I can't tell you how many cars I went and looked at that were complete pieces of crap in person, but looked good online. I was getting frustrated just looking within 10 miles of here.

There's no way I would have wasted even more time and money driving hundreds of miles looking at 6+ year old cars.

DW

17. Another Miller

Another Miller prankster

I second that camry idea,those are good cars.Madzas are good also.Honda,You might get 200k out of one,if youre lucky.

Consumer reports has some good advice too on cars. Unbiased and based on hundreds of studies. I should have followed their advice before getting the car I have now thats sitting at a garage,waiting for a transmission overhaul.

18. RonS

RonS Millennium Member

At that price individual variation is more important than anything else, you should shop for the best value you can.

19. EM87

EM87

I've found quite a selection of Jettas for under $5000. What are the opinions here on that?

20. Steve0853

Steve0853

Consumer Reports doesn't think much of the Jettas.....or hardly any of the VW's. Personally, I can give you some anecdotal stories of crappy VW's.

For the best odds on not having a lemon, stick with the Japanese nameplates.....unless you can sneak up on a good 2-4 year old Hyundai.