Need Butterfly/Safety Razor Recommendations (and blades)

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by xTerpx, Oct 16, 2019.

1. WABOOM

WABOOM

I tried it and it did not work out very well for me. I need to be calm, take my time, and be able to see in the mirror very well as to exactly what I'm doing.

syntaxerrorsix likes this.
  2. xTerpx

xTerpx

Nice. This was a question I have been thinking about. My whole S/shower/shave/dressed to go routine is like 20 minutes door to door, so was hoping this wet shaving doesn't add a bunch of time.

I am sure I'll get faster as I become more proficient, but was watching video reviews on some creams/soaps, and lots saying they make multiple passes—lather up the cream, apply, shave with the grain, rinse, reapply, shave against, etc...some even did a third sideways.

[​IMG]

I hope this doesn't become a timesink. I'll have to follow your advice about doing the fancy lathering multi-pass approach when not pressed for time, but hoping a one-and-done or two-tops approach can shave time off the process. :)

3. syntaxerrorsix

syntaxerrorsix Anti-Federalist CLM

I do all four passes in well under 5 minutes. The trick is to just use enough pressure to keep the razor in contact with your face. The weight of the razor itself is sufficient to get the shave.

As others have stated, oil is superior to cream. By a large margin in my opinion but as the lady said.... Ain't nobody got time for that, so I just use whatever soap is in my dispenser and that's usually whatever the SO bought at Walgreens during the last run.

If you really want to invest in a timesuck start using a straight razor.

xTerpx likes this.
  4. JGIORD

JGIORD

I like the MERKUR razor. They don't need to be expensive This is like $40
    [​IMG]

I also use Persona blades. Approx $10 - $15 for 100

[​IMG]

I use a boar hair brush and really like this shave cream
    [​IMG]

5. PatinAz

PatinAz

I don't bother with foofy soaps and badger brushes. My Merkur 34c and dove soap in the shower works great for me.

jtm129, xTerpx and syntaxerrorsix like this.
  6. sharpshooter

sharpshooter Member Millennium Member

I use a Mercur similar to the one shown above, and Feather blades. A 100-pack of blades lasts me 2 years changing blades once a week. Taylor of Old Bond feels and smells nice but lathering takes too long. I just wet my face and use a dab of my wife's hair conditioner with each pass, works great and is cheap.

xTerpx likes this.
  7. seamaster

seamaster

8. sharpshooter

sharpshooter Member Millennium Member

My routune: I have a travel size conditioner squirt bottle I refill with my wife's hair conditioner and use instead of shave cream. I put that and my Merkur razor in an old Taylor of Old Bond bowl full of hot water to warm it up for a few min. Wet my face a few times with warm water, spread a marble sized dab of warm conditioner on my face. First pass is straight down, rinse razor. Wet face and add more conditioner. Next pass splits my face down the middle, left side I shave to the left, right side to the right. Rinse razor, wet face, and add conditioner. Final pass is straight up or diagnal up.

xTerpx likes this.
  9. Lagamor

Lagamor

I’m curious about lather now...
    I feel that a coating of something oily is necessary. Really reduces the nicks you get.
    How does a lather help out?

10. litework

litework

I've been using either a Mergress XL or Muhle R41 with Derby blades for several years. I use Pre de Provence or Tabac soaps in the summer and Mitchell's Wool Fat soap in the winter. I use a Simpson brushes mostly. These soaps work well even when I feel brave enough to use a straight razor. Just let the razor do the work.

xTerpx likes this.
  11. mmcbeat

mmcbeat

I use a Merkur. It has a closed comb. Astra blades, a nice cup and Williams soap. The most expensive part was the brush, a silvertip Badger brush.

. . . there are a couple of shaving forums but those guys are more opinionated than GT.

xTerpx likes this.
  12. Bead

Bead Millennium Member

A good lather will provide the cushion but I believe technique is the key and more important. As said a few times here, don't apply pressure, let the weight of the razor do the work.

xTerpx likes this.
  13. Danielsuzuki

Danielsuzuki Happiness is where you find it

I use a Gillette 109 Adjustable, and feather blades.
    I’d look at the razoremporium.com for razors and accessories.
    Perfectly fine to start with a Parker and see how it goes at first, though I wouldn’t recommend a feather blade or a Wilkinson’s sword blade on a non adjustable razor unless you know it to be a mild razor. They’re all different in terms of aggressiveness.

gillette six o’clock green blades are pretty mild, derby’s too.

i use a cheapie brush and poraso soap in a cup - just after a hot shower, but my beard is quite coarse.
    Experimentation with a sample pack of blades will help immensely.

best o’ luck! Been shaving this way for years!

14. nitesite10mm

nitesite10mm Sheepdog

I do the brush and soap on slow days. On work mornings I use either Dove Intensive Repair Hair Conditioner or canned Nivea Sensitive Skin shave gel. Nivea is the BEST canned shaving gel/lather I've ever used. I also really enjoy CREMO Sandalwood. It gives an amazingly slick and smooth shave.

Razors are Muhle R89, 1958 Gillette Flare Tip, 1970s Schick Krona, or Merkur HD34 or 25C.

@xTerpx , you will really like getting into wet shaving. Remember that your disposable cartridge blades are not nearly as sharp as a DE blade and you have, like all of us, learned to press fairly hard when you shave. You can't do that when wet shaving, as you will learn. The shave you get might possibly be the closest you've ever had.

xTerpx, 1L26 and Lagamor like this.
  15. syntaxerrorsix

syntaxerrorsix Anti-Federalist CLM

If we have to use cream I'm gonna go with C.O Bigelow.

Oil is better "Shave Secret" or a do it yourself version.

xTerpx and Lagamor like this.
  16. nitesite10mm

nitesite10mm Sheepdog

The aerosol can? I am not that impressed with all the air. Might as well be Barbasol. :)

They make a nice cream in a tube tho' for brush lathering. I put it on wet brush tips and face lather. I have two tubes. I need to break one out.

<edit> I just got a tube from under the sink and I found that I also still have like eight sticks of ARKO. That's some really good Turkish shave soap. Now I have two more to get out and use!

xTerpx likes this.
  17. fx77

fx77 CLM

xTerpx and 1L26 like this.
  18. jtm129

jtm129

Merkur razor and personna blades i give A+. Platinum, shark....not so.much

xTerpx likes this.
  19. JK-linux

JK-linux

An Edwin Jagger razor and some Derby Extra blades is a good way to start out. Not too much invested, and you'll get a good shave if you develop a halfway decent technique. The blades are sharp enough to cut through whatever, but not so sharp you'll have a red face. I use Proraso soap and a 100% badger brush. YMMV.

All that said, I use an electric BraunSeries 7 M - F to get out the door to work. Weekends and special occasions I take my time and use the safety razor.

xTerpx and nitesite10mm like this.