need budget video card and power supply

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Specks, Sep 26, 2007.

1. Specks

Specks

The wife was on the computer this afternoon when it made a loud pop and shut down and smelled of burned electronics. When I got home to check it out there was no power. I called up a buddy with a spare power supply and some hardware know how.

We pulled my power supply out and connected his to the mother board and pushed the power switch. A small chip on the video card started smoking and popping, even had a small flame. Quickly cut the power and blew the flame out. We pulled the video card out and connected the power. With the power swith off, the light on the motherboard came on, but when I pushed the power switch nothing happened. There is no onboard video and I think we had at least the cd drive plugged in to the psu. The cpu fan didn't come on either and I'm pretty sure we left that connected to the motherboard so it should have come on. The motherboard showed no obvious signs of burning so I'm assuming I need to have a video card plugged into the motherboard for it to boot up.

Long story short, I'm looking for a decent but budget power supply and agp video card. I don't plan on doing any gaming and I'm on a tight budget. What would you recommend?

eta: I'm looking at something like these:

Antec PSU
    ASUS Video Card

2. HAVOC

HAVOC Remember CLM Millennium Member

3. HAVOC

HAVOC Remember CLM Millennium Member

If the board is still good, the CPU and PSU fans would come on when you hit the power button. If they didn't, the motherboard is cooked.

4. Specks

Specks

Forgot to add that I need the psu to have at least 2 connectors for sata drives.

5. Specks

Specks

So the green light on the motherboard is not a strong indicator that the board will work?

6. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Not at all.

I'm guessing your board is fried. Video cards flaming, bad smells, etc. Nothing good.

Prepare for a new PC or to build. Second, a cheap power supply is ALWAYS a bad idea. Even on an old PC. A flaky power supply can fry a system, so if you value its components, bite the bullet and get a good PS. Video cards, you can find tons of cheap ones that are on clearance at Newegg and Tigerdirect. If you're not really a gamer, that will be easy to find.

Just as an example, AGP video cards listed low to high on Tigerdirect. They have some 128mb ATI based cards as low as $20

IGF

7. tous

tous GET A ROPE!

Uh, we try not to test suspect power supplies with stuff we don't want to destroy. :supergrin:

Best to test a known good system with a known good or assumed good PSU than confirm that the old one is defective by frying yet another piece of equipment. :wavey:

Most PSUs have SATA power connectors or you can get Molex/SATA converters for about a buck each.

I agree with some of the others. If the PSU failed and the 12-volt rail was open, it likely damaged the main board.

Sorry to hear of your troubles. Best of luck with that. :thumbsup:

8. Specks

Specks

I agree with the point you made, but I don't think I did this. We removed my power supply (the suspect one) and connected by buddy's power supply he had left over after he upgraded about 6 months ago.

I think I'm going to assume that the mb is fried. I'm also going to assume that the CPU may be damaged as well.

So, with that, I'm in the market for a budget system.

Lets start with the CPU. I'm open to either AMD or Intel.

Here's what I've found:

AMD Sempron 64
    or
    Celeron D

any other recommendations?

9. tous

tous GET A ROPE!

I agree that the proc is probably toast.

I'm not impressed by Celerons. For a few bucks more you can get a dual-core proc. AMD has more choices in the $50-100 range.

Both the 775 and AM2 sockets have good future upgrade paths.
    :thumbsup:

Don't forget memory.

10. g29andy

g29andy CLM

I have a GeForce FX 5200 (AGP, I think 128MB)that was working when I upgraded cards. You can have it if you want.

11. Specks

Specks

what's everyone's opinion on A-DATA brand memory.

Newegg has 2 - 1GB sticks for $65. It has 344 reviews with 77% giving it a 5 egg rating.