Need both a Printer and PC over a single fibre

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by philkryder, Sep 8, 2005.

1. philkryder

philkryder

We have a courtroom application that needs a printer.

We have a single fibre link to the courtroom.

I would like to have a QUIET printer with its own IP address so that an Adobe print server can send to it through a firewall.

HP is our preferred printer brand but others could be acceptable if reasons were compelling.

We need to have a PC with an IP address at the same location serviced by the same fibre link.

If I add a small hub at the end of the link, what printer should I get?
    Is there a HUB with a printer port or USB that will give me status?
    I would prefer a printer that can report status like toner remaining and paper remaining.

I do NOT need:
    color
    laser (ink jet is fine)
    large paper capacity (100 sheets would suffice)...

recommendations please.
    Phil

2. jpa

jpa CLM

If you want quiet, don't bother with an inkjet. Even the new ones can still get a bit squeaky and irk the judge in court. Is this printer going to be permanent or does it have to be portable? Get a laser if permanent, a portable thermal or dye sub printer if you have to lug it around.

A hub should be fine to split the connection as long as your network's DHCP server has enough IP's to allocate. The printer status report isn't a function of the hub as much as it is the job of the print server/printer itself. I'd lean towards a HP with a JetDirect card installed, it's been a while for me, but possibly in the 4 series.

Make sure whatever printer you buy is SNMP compatible and you get the management software for it if you want remote status monitoring.

3. SomeGuyInAHat

SomeGuyInAHat

I'll second the HP LaserJet with a JetDirect installed. That's the only way to meet all of your requirements, especially the noise concern.

4. philkryder

philkryder

any specific model numbers?

5. kilroy2721

kilroy2721

I also would go with an HP printer with a jet direct card either internal or external. The question is how many pages are you going to be printing per month, and what size paper will you be printing? Are there different types of paper, are you going to need to do any duplexing? All of these questions need to be answered to determine what type of printer you should purchase.

6. ngray

ngray

if sound really is a concern, I think quill still sells those muffled printer boxes. if not, someone must. made a lot of sense on dot matrix printers, but it'd be a good way to make your printer decision on more points than it's db level.

it's basically a large mdf enclosure with closed-cell eggcrate on the inside.

7. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

You can get an HP laserjet 4, 4L, and most of the 5 series for about a hundred dollars. Those are single side, b/w only but they're cheap.

Keep the printer under a table and it's quiet enough.

8. briantf

briantf

Since you don't need a laser, don't need color, but DO need a JetDirect card, how about a $350 JetDirect card with a color laser attached?

I *almost* replaced my 2550L when Staples ran a $60 off deal on the 2600N, but decided to save the money for guns. Nominal list is $399 but expect something close to $350.

Realistically, the cost of a courtroom printer is going to be the fiber to UTP transceiver and the maintenance. The cost of a jammed up inkjet with $50 ink tanks is going to add up over 2-3-4 years. Lasers are cheap to feed and cheap to maintain - as long as they're HP.

I still have an HP 5 Si/MX with a $350 MIO card in it, forgive my smart aleck opening sentence, but HP is practically begging you to buy it.

Regards,
    Brian in CA

9. briantf

briantf