close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Need bear spray???

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by Lucy's Driver, Mar 21, 2003.

1. Lucy's Driver

Lucy's Driver Got WMD?

If I'm carrying a .40? Haven't decided if it'll be the 27 or 22.

My wife and I will be hiking in grizzly country. I can legally carry there, but my only choices are my Glock 22 or Glock 27. Or a 10mm MP-5, but that might not go over too well on the plane out there. Bear spray is popular in the area, and most people cannot legally carry there.
    It would be a PITA to buy bear spray out there only to have to toss it a week later since I can't bring it home on the plane.
    Thoughts?

2. Bruz

Bruz

It would be a PITA to buy bear spray out there only to have to toss it a week later since I can't bring it home on the plane.

What I have heard a small cal. bullet will only tick a Griz off...I would either go, well, loaded for bear or take everything I can except the kitchen sink...might take that also after looking at pictures of people that have been ate by a bear. Take a look at a picture or two and the price for bear spray looks perdy cheap! You can always try to sell it to people going in as you are going out. Just take some of the pictures you reviewed and show it to them! ;Q

3. mpol777

mpol777 Feral Member

while bear spray is good, i see it as a last ditch. the pray's range is about 7-10 yards depending on wind. if one of those things is charging you at 35mph, no spray in the world is going to make him stop on a dime.

if it was me, i would look for a packable rifle chambered in something on the low end of african big game hunting. guns that are used to hunt these things aren't always good for protection. in hunting you are using just enough to cleanly kill, not stop dead in it's tracks.

the chances of actually being attacked are slim, but if it does happen it usually ends up really bad.

stay safe

4. davesglock30

davesglock30

you already have a good bear spray!! spray him down with 10mm bullets from that MP-5!! ;f i definately wouldn't want to have to defend myself with a small caliber pistol against a grizzly.

5. DonD

DonD

I find it hard to believe that a bear that wants you will be deterred by spray. I readily admit the issues are different but locally the police used spray, Taser, beanbag ammo to no effect on a drug user. I think bears that weren't serious may have been discouraged. Don

6. Sgt Tim USA

Sgt Tim USA 1 Shot 1 Kill

For what it is worth I heard somewhere that if a Griz spots you from a distance and starts to head your way, you can pop a cap off and most likey will scare the bear off. I shouldn't use the word scare I should say he just might not want to deal with you.

7. SGT109FA

SGT109FA Eat this Osama

Watch how you carry any kind of food with you. keep it well sealed or yogi will have you for lunch.

8. Rabon

Rabon

If you choose to use Bear Spray make sure you get the brand with 454 Casull stamped on the barrel;) .

9. SGT109FA

SGT109FA Eat this Osama

Lucy's Driver! Your traveling from where to where by plane??

10. MuRDoC

MuRDoC

ROFLMAO, you get a ;c for that one

11. duncan

duncan Lifetime Member Millennium Member

Your best option is to carry some small bells in your pocket.

so when you go hiking, any local bears hear the bells and stay clear of you.

No amount of bear spray, or a knife, and a small caliber gun is going to save you when you get betwen a sow and her cubs and she's pissed.

And stay away from the cubs.

Bells and make noise.