Need advise on a new Heat Pump,

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by BSA70, Mar 19, 2010.

1. BSA70

BSA70

Well my gas pack is 12 years old and has issues to where it will be better to buy a new unit than pour money into the old furnace. With propane prices see sawing, and seems to go higher, has made me consider an electric heat pump.

I hear the newer units are better than what was out years ago. I live in eastern nc, Where it most of the time stays below freezing except in Jan and Feb. I live in an older house, built in 65, The attic insulation has been upgraded to blow in, windows and doors replaced.

Will I be making a mistake going with a heat pump? I have thought about duel fuel option, electric/propane. Will the heat pump really keep you warm and save money?

Thanks

2. MooseJaw

MooseJaw NRA Lifer CLM

Heat pump doesn't blow very warm air, compared to a furnace..

The performance drops off as the outside temps drop..

Personally, I'd stay with a high efficiency, condensing type, furnace and a High SEER, variable Speed, dual compressor AC System.. Like a Trane XL-xxi (insert whatever SEER you can afford)..

YMMV.. good luck..

3. G30Jack

G30Jack .88 Magnum

I have a Carrer Infinity unit. It's heat pump and propane. I'm on heat pump to 35* outside and it has saved up a bundle.

4. garyo

garyo Millennium Member

I live in Raleigh and we just got two new heat pumps installed. They are both Trane XL models and work very well. As said above they do not blow very warm air, but we don't keep it real warm in the winter either, usually mid 60s during the day and lower at night. The efficiency does drop off below 35 degrees and when that happens I supplement with the fireplace or kerosene heater. They seem to cool the house faster in mid-summer than they do in warming up in winter. They are more efficient than what they replaced. Above all the only advice I can give you is to get a good customer-oriented service company to do the job. We got a guy whose been doing this for over 30 years and his whole family works with him. Very nice, honest, and good people. Good luck.

5. 814

Yes dont put money into that old of a system.
    Go ahead and grab a heat pump and dont get to far into all the hype of seer rateing. Once above 13 seer IMHO they really dont save enough to pay for them selves.

Get yourself a GOOD 13 seer system of your choice and make sure you get a 10kw or larger heating coil put in the air handler and you will stay nice and toasty :)
    I would probably put you in a 15kw heat strip. Although not the cheapest heat strip to use it would still end up cheaper then gas.
    YMMV

6. IA Glocker

IA Glocker

Whether they actually save you any money is dependent upon what energy rate you get form your utility company. If you have a good electricity rate, it is the way to go.

Does your electric company offer a cheaper rate for using a heat pump? For example, my heat pump is on a seperate meter, and that rate is about 1/4 of the normal rate during winter.

However, if I didn't have the seperate meter, it would be a financial mistake. I am on a rural COOP, and electricity is around 13cents per KwH. Propane would be a much better solution if that was the case.

You really need to check your electric rate before you make a decisiion.