Need advice.....

Discussion in 'Band of Glockers' started by 6lock3d, Apr 5, 2005.

1. 6lock3d

6lock3d

I just bought a Glock22....I am now shopping for my 2nd firearm. I was considering a G17 or maybe a G19- but I am also temtped to buy a shotgun. In particular- the Remmington 870.... the primary purpose of this weapon would be for home defense (as the G22). I am new to this so I thought that I might benefit from the advice of some experts...Which would be a wiser "investment" ?
    Thanks in advance for your expert advice!!

2. cebuboy

cebuboy toy soldier

the shotgun would be a good choice as you already have a handgun:)imho, the shotgun is one of the best close range manstopper invented by man.

3. vega

vega

Get the shotgun first then you can get the G19 or G17 afterwards.

vega

4. antediluvianist

antediluvianist

I bought a serious of handguns (1911, Tanfoglio 9mm., Glock 17, and S&W .357 magnum.) , then bought a shotgun. For home defense, you just have to see what happens to a target at basically ANY house defense range when you hit it with a unch of pellets - even birdshot - from a shotgun. A shotgun is MUCH more powerful than a handgun. And it's easier to aim - it's a shoulder weapon with stability and a long sight radius, not a weapon in your hand that tends to wave around..

In my case I got the shotgun because my eyes are getting bad and I wanted something that was less demanding about aim (BUT you still have to aim a shotgun - it's just easier. )

I suggest you buy the shotgun. The Remington 870 is fine. A Mossberg ("Maverick 88", "500", or "590")will do fine too. And the Armscor shotguns will do fine for home defense too.

Try shooting any of the above. You will see that it beats any handgun for home defense. Damn fun too! (Keep your handgun, just add the shotgun.)

5. 6lock3d

6lock3d

I think I will go with the shotgun...thanks again for the advice.
    Speaking of Armscor....my cousin and I were in Turner's Outdoorsman and he fell in love with an AK22- he had to buy it. Looks like fun to shoot .......

6. trozau

trozau troy ounce gold

Good choice. Nothing beats a shotgun for home defense complemented by a semi-auto pistol (specifically a Glock). I chose between the Remington 870 and the Mossberg 500A and picked the Mossberg. Hope you will be happy with your Remington. Love my Mossberg. :cool:

7. jasonub

jasonub

dont forget an m16 if you want to reach out and touch someone.;f

8. cebuboy

cebuboy toy soldier

yup, specially the A1 kind with M193 ammo:) also a very good manstopper;f

9. Mang Danny

Mang Danny

Like this?
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

;I

10. vega

vega

Consider extra mags, where will you buy it? Nothing against Armscor but check with Turner if they will help you get an extra supposing you want another one.

He is in Kali...

vega

11. 6lock3d

6lock3d

Yep nasa Kali ako- sayang......I wanted an assault rifle but but no go here. As for the AK22 Mags....If I were to move to Arizona and live there- some guy pointed me in the direction of a dealer that sells some mags there- the nice "saging" kind. But....being in Kali, of course it would be illegal to bring them here.

12. deenoh

deenoh

Question. Isnt the SS109 a better manstopper compared to the M193 because of the heavier bullet weight?

13. Mang Danny

Mang Danny

Both types of ammo have mixed results coming from reports in Afghanistan & Somalia. Experts atribute it on the high twist rate of the M16A2 service rifle. I would not want to get shot with either one.;f

14. jasonub

jasonub

the 109s dont seem to tumble but has better range than the 193. thus a lot of through and through hits.

15. cebuboy

cebuboy toy soldier

in afghanistan and somalia where the terrain is mostly open, they engage targets at much greater ranges. their m855 bullets cant tumble with the reduced velocity caused by the shorter barrel of their m4s:) for philippine applications, our troops are quite happy with the performance of their a1s. engagements are usually less than 100 yards, which the m193 is quite a manstopper. try shooting some water gallons and youl know what i mean;f

16. brawnless

brawnless Junior Member

same problem here. considering pistol for back-up, m16/shotgun as primary.

never fired a shotgun yet. m16 feels great, but ears can't stand the blast. so...

shotgun: how does the recoil differ between one with a pistol grip and one with a shoulder rest? can it be left with one in the chamber (like glock) for an extended period of time? what models have parts available here?

m16: reliability issues - what should i expect? maintenance? barrel length? requirements for a civillian to own one?

thanks. :)

17. cebuboy

cebuboy toy soldier

usually a shotgun with pistol grip and stock would distribute most of the recoil back to your shoulder, a tendency for the gun to rise is noted with a traditional stock. for a pistolized grip, there are two kinds. the more traditional bolo which tends to flip the gun upwards and the pistol which transfers the recoil to your wrist:) i would definetly reccomend the gun with a stock. the pistolized models are more suited for the experienced shotgunner:) yup you can leave a round in the chamber. common here are armscor, mossberg, and benelli.

as for the m16, regular cleaning of the bolt assembly, barrel and parts in the lower receiver is a must. they are reliable enough:) and i preffer the 20 incher m16a1, unless you can take the higher blast of the shorter barreled variants. you cant buy em in stores, but it can be licensed in firearms amnesties:)

18. vega

vega

OT - Have you written your representative? Don't move yet, there might still be chance.
    http://www.glocktalk.com/showthread.php?threadid=367713

vega