Need advice while camping in CA

Discussion in 'California Glockers' started by jfrey123, Jul 23, 2007.

1. jfrey123

jfrey123

My knowledge of the laws in your awesome state is a little on the uninformed side. I want to bring a revolver camping with me this weekend. It will be in a National Forest area, however the lake I'll be camping at is a private owned lake. There are no signs banning firearms, only shooting them.

How do most of you Cali guys camp? Open carry? Concealed Carry (seems impossible to get a permit)? I'm a NV resident if it matters.

My plan is to avoid open carry, since I don't want to scare the poor libs up at camp. I will transport unloaded and locked, then load and holster my revolver when we get to camp and unpack. Then this gun is going in the tent. My goal is protection from Mr. Crazy Bear or Mr. Crazy Deliverence Guy, no target shooting.

On a side note, does anyone shoot in National Forests? I've shot in Toyiabe Nat'l Forest since I was a kid on Boy Scout campouts, and with church campouts as well. I always see other signs of people target shooting and have never been bothered by rangers. Typically, when hiking up there, I open carry and haven't had any problems.

Advice for a redneck from the cowboy state? Unofficial is ok, I'm not taking anything as gospel.

2. Juliet Lima

Juliet Lima Hawaiian Guy

I conceal carried while camping at Lake Mendocino. Since it was actually Kyen campground, which I believe was owned by the Army Corps of Engineers, I made sure to keep it hidden. I was still under the impression that it was allowed, I just wasn't sure about it. I read it and clearly think it's okay, then read the note and became unsure. For what it's worth no one realized I had one while camping and I definitely had it either on my person while in the immediate vicinity of the campsite, locked in my truck, or in my tent while I was sleeping.
    Here's the legal mumbo jumbo from the CA DOJ:

Firearms in the Home or Business

Any person over the age of 18 who is not prohibited from possessing firearms, and if otherwise
    lawful, may keep and carry a firearm or have a firearm loaded at his or her place of residence,
    temporary residence, campsite, or on private property owned or lawfully possessed by the person.
    (Penal Code §§ 12026, 12031(h) and (l).) Any person engaged in any lawful business (including
    nonprofit organizations) or any officer, employee, or agent authorized for lawful purposes connected
    with the business may possess a loaded firearm within the place of business if that person is
    over 18 years of age and not otherwise prohibited from possessing firearms. (Penal Code §§ 12026,
    12031(h).)

NOTE: A person’s place of business, residence, temporary residence, campsite, or private property
    may be located in areas where possession of handguns or other firearms, whether loaded or
    unloaded, is otherwise prohibited. Such areas include, but are not limited to, state, federal, or private
    game reserves or refuges, federal and state parks, and other public lands. Questions regarding the
    applicability of such laws should be directed to your sheriff or chief of police, federal or state fish
    and game officers, or federal or state park rangers.

3. Victoriagotagun

Victoriagotagun

CA does not honor out of state CCW permits unless you are a LEO. Juliet Lima coved the laws as to whether you can have a firearm at your campsite.

4. HarlDane

HarlDane

You can also carry concealed without a permit while hunting or fishing or on the way directly to and from hunting/fishing. It might be worth it to pick up a fishing license and carry a small pole that can break down while hiking around. the woods.