close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Need advice! Should the G-19 go? Then what!

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by albinlee, Jul 17, 2011.

1. albinlee

albinlee

Hey All,

I bought my first pistol, the G-19, when I turned 21 in Feb. '10. It made sense at the time as a perfect compromise of size and shootability, and has been a great (although a bit wide) carry gun. February of this year, I got into practical shooting such as USPSA, and it has become a huge thing for me now. In the past 6 months, I have gone from knowing nothing to being able to hang with B-class production shooters (although I am not yet qualified). Long story short I really want to get a competition gun, but will be sad to let that G-19 go. It has alot of sentimental value, but as a broke college student I just cant afford a second gun right now. :crying: Regardless, I feel like the extra sight radius would make a noticeable difference outside of 15 yards, especially when I shoot Friday nights at Sam's indoor competition.

Should I get the G-34? This is my first instinct, especially being a huge Dave Sevigny fan. The other option I would like to consider is the G-17c, compensated model. According to the what I have read online, compensated guns are legal in production if they are built into the gun from the factory. Any personal experience would be greatly appreciated!

P.S. Here is me shooting a qualifier. There are two strings, and I got a little confused so I cleared my gun in between, but it was my first outdoor match and I was pumped about it anyways. :supergrin:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8z9nm8kQVvM&feature=channel_video_title
    The second string was faster, pointers always welcome.

2. Shasta McNasty

Shasta McNasty

meh. not a fan of long barrel, or "C" glocks. that's just personal pref though. i'd rather have a g34 than any "C" model. why do you feel the need to tame 9mm recoil while increasing muzzle flash/noise?

get whatever you like. you're the one paying for it. :)

3. D.S.Brown

D.S.Brown Millennium Member

Keep the G-19 and practice with it. Saw the You tube vid, your performance looked solid.

A few things:
    1.) You're a broke college student. Selling the G19 will leave you "broker" as you'll have to get more money to get into a G17 or a G34, plus mags and equipment.

2.) So instead of going into the hole for more money, use the money you would have used to make up the difference and buy ammo and train.

3.) My understanding about Dave Sevigny was that he started out with and won his first major matches with a Glock 23. A little food for thought.

4.) I know we aren't supposed to get sentimental about this stuff, but if I could find the original Colt Government Model .45 that I bought way back when I was 21, (traded it towards a Sig P220 that I haven't owned in a very long time), I would buy it in a moment! A very good friend of mine still has the first Ruger GP100 that he bought when he turned 21 over 20 years ago. I sort of envy that.

Good luck.

Best,

Dave

4. byf43

byf43 NRA Life Member

Keep the G19.

If you are shooting it well, why get rid of it??
    You will be spending more $$$ on the G17L or G34, plus magazines.
    Then, you'll have more expense for training.
    Why spend the extra monies now???

I sold my first handgun (a S&W mdl 39-2) shortly after buying it, back when dinosaurs roamed the earth. I don't regret it one bit.
    I still have the revolver (S&W mdl 19-4), that replaced it.
    I regret selling a beautiful Colt Combat Commander that I sold to a friend, like a fool.

Bottom line. . . . Keep the G19. It is a GREAT pistol!!!!!

5. G26S239

G26S239 NRA Patron

Save up for a while and get whatever else you need later. There are guns that I never liked, or never warmed up to, that I don't regret not having. The 19 is a really good gun, I would miss mine if I got rid of it.

6. emore

emore

This one just won't die!!! It's the Zombie Internet Hype from Heck!
    One person sees a perfectly timed pic of an upward muzzle-flash and BAM! It's true! I can tell you from personal experience less than one week ago. I was using a comped barrel on a 40 cal G24 and not I, nor a single one of 30 other shooters/spectators saw ANYTHING above the barrel except clear air.
    But I could be wrong, I guess.

7. Shasta McNasty

Shasta McNasty

I guess the fact that I experienced the increased muzzle flash first hand when I fired a C glock doesn't count either according to you, right?

8. emore

emore

Please re-read last line...
    I said I could be wrong. More than some are willing to admit.

9. .50 cal

.50 cal

I say never sell the 19, I think it will be dearly missed later on as it was your first, if you don't have to sell it I say keep it as long as you can, the G19 is the most popular and everyone should own at least one, it was my first and I will never part with it, good luck in all future competitons and stay safe

Last edited: Jul 17, 2011
  10. BobTorre

BobTorre

I own a g19 and a g34. The latter I have turned into an open gun for uspsa matches. If I have to sell one the g34 will have to go.

Enough said

11. ArizonaPhil

ArizonaPhil

My advice is to keep the 19. You mentioned you use it as a carry gun. Life would really suck for you if you sold the 19, bought a 34 and no longer had a cc gun. God forbid you ever really needed it. Keep the 19 and when you have the money for a dedicated range gun, get the 34.

12. ronin.45

ronin.45

Keep the 19 and save your money to buy a 34 down the road. You are already comfortable with the 19 so you will improve faster with it than changing things up. It sounds like you are still early enough in your shooting career that improving your technique will help more than improving your equipment. As others said, it will still cost a decent amount to upgrade and that money would be better spent on ammo for practice. The 19 is more than capable of USPSA distances.

When you get money together I would get the 34 over the 17 because it comes with the lighter trigger and extended release from the factory. Those are nice features, and when paired with the sight radius, make for a nice competition gun.

13. Camu Mahubah

Camu Mahubah 9=Fine

Nice shooting TEX! Hey...keep that G19 and win yourself something else...and then trade what you win for a G34...so you know what you are shooting for...

I LIKED your video...

14. LT642

LT642

Keep the Glock 19, and save up for your next Glock. The G19, is the ONE Glock everyone should have, IMO.

15. FyreCalG17

FyreCalG17 Gen4 Fondler

Looks like you're doing a pretty good job with the 19 so I say keep it.
    Like a previous poster said, if you buy a different model, you'll have to buy extra mags for competition plus you'll lose money selling your gun.

Broke college student? Keep the gun, enjoy, practice, practice, practice.

16. Slugo

Slugo

how could you rid yourself of the most popular Glock!!

[​IMG]

17. JBarbaresi

JBarbaresi

i have to agree with everyone else...

18. R*E

R*E

Was it at an outdoor range with the wind to your back? The muzzle blast, unburned powder and flash is very prominent in an indoor range.

19. ViperGlock

ViperGlock

Do not sell the G19 to get the G34. You're not truly broke or you could not buy ammo in the first place. Mow some lawns, do odd jobs, find a few ways to cut on expenses for a few months...then get your G34.

20. robin303

robin303 Helicopter Nut

My first Glock was the G19. I also started to shoot USPSA and been doing so for two years. Then I bought the 17 just for USPSA and put high dollar sights on it and shot a few matches. Well crap I shot the 19 better than the 17. I can get on target faster and shoot better with the 19 and I shot over 10,000 rnds through my 17. I say keep your 19.