Need advice regarding joining Army Nat. Guard

Discussion in 'US Army Forum' started by M_Dail, Jul 17, 2007.

1. fourdeuce2

fourdeuce2

My GT was 155 and I chose Infantry(11C) and spent 15 years in the Army. I did take a 3 year break from the Infantry, but went right back to it as soon as I could.:thumbsup: I was active duty for the whole time, though, and spent plenty of time away from home.:wavey: I wasn't looking for a job to keep me near home.

2. cavsct

cavsct

keep in mind it isn't a matter of if but when you get deployed. The OP tempo of the guard high. Odds are in you basic enlistment you will probably get deployed 2 times.
    As far as jobs go like it has been stated above just cause you are in job x doesn't mean your are going to do job X
    you may be doing jobs Y and Z
    pick what you want
    if you don't join no biggie but you will be thinking for the rest of your life what you could have done.
    either way
    best of luck to you

3. M_Dail

M_Dail Guest

thought I'd bring this back up on the list for those who may be interested. I requested my medical docs the other day and am looking at a 6yr commitment w/ the KS Army Nat. Guard. I spent a good amount of time looking into this, spoke with everyone I knew of who either was or is in the guard. Also spoke to an Army Reserve recruiter & spent some time reviewing the Air Nat. Guard but neither had anything to offer that interested me. Looks like if I can get the waivers on my heart & on my hand (past surgery on both) then I will be enlisting as a 13M with the intention of dropping my OCS packet at some point during my enlistment. My wife doesn't understand at all but I feel this is something I'll always regret if I don't do. I can't explain it effectively enough to let her understand but I'm not getting any younger so I guess it's time to get after it.

Thanks guys!

4. KG Dad

KG Dad Lead by Example

I've long said that every generation has a duty to defend our nation, and my generation (and I) got out of having to fulfill that duty. Sensing my own hypocrisy, I (finally) raised my hand at age 40 and joined the reserves. My wife wishes that I'd never said anything, much less sworn to uphold the Constitution, but she appreciates that I'm true to my values.

I'd rather have people sneer at me when they find out that I'm in the Army than have that come as a complete surprise. It's the difference between reputation and character. I'll take character any day.

Serve, serve well, and come back.

MJH

5. mjp66m

mjp66m Guest

i joined the NYARNG at age 41.im going to Ft Leonard Wood 20081004,MOS 31B.Im fit and im looking foward to BCT/AIT.

6. MrMurphy

MrMurphy ********* Moderator Lifetime Member Millennium Member

And I thought people were giving ME grandpa comments (at 27) though we had a 31 and 34 year old reservist in my BMT platoon......ouch.

7. Blitzer

Blitzer Cool Cat

My section commander, a Capitan, pulled me into his office for a heart to heart. This was 1977.

He spoke highly of me and was impressed with me. He told me of his younger brother who was two years his junior, making twice his yearly salary and enjoying life as a civilian. He asked me my intentions. I told him career NCO in the Air force. He responded I was much too bright and gifted and strongly recomend I leave the Air Force at the end of my enlistment!

I later found out I was going to fly a desk in the support office for the rest of my career due to a snafu that kept me out of an upgrade school, I needed to go to this school while in the US before my transfer to my unit in Germany. I would never get the opportunity to go to that school. As a result I would never get to fly as a crewman on the AWACS plane or work again in the RADAR section when I transfered back to the states.

I took his advice and left the military but not before an accident nearly killed me and left permanent disabilities I deal with to this day.

Wanna join the guard and serve in Iraq or possibly any other hot spot?

8. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

There are people who won't join the military because there is a war going on and there are people who do join the military because there is a war going on. My advice to those who want to avoid going to war is to avoid the military, but I'm glad we have plenty of the other type.

9. steelvipersedg

steelvipersedg 10mm Rules!

Gee, a 155 GT score that is real impresive. :wow:Considering the score only goes to 130. I know I have a 129 and in my whole Army career have only met one person with a higher score a 130.
    But congrats to the poster for choosing to serve. I am 31B active. we can use all the help we can get.

10. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

You are incorrect. My GT score, and all my line scores, are above 130 and I have seen higher. (11B primary 13B secondary, BTW). I actually had heard that it only goes to 150, but I have no confirmation of that.

11. sgtwunder

sgtwunder

FWIW... I was AD for four years, got out joined the National Guard. I am currently AGR status and am Training NCO for a FSC that supports an FA unit. IMHO, the National Guard is a great opportunity and I thank you for your interest. I spent 14months in Iraq as a medic with a FA unit that was retrained to do convoys. The point is that when you get deployed it will not always be doing your specific MOS duties or your Unit mission. My unit now has over half of our soldiers deployed as attachments to other units that were short. I dont know about your state, but here in Pa the Guard offers 100% tuition assistance and up to $15k bonus for 6 years. Granted, part of that 6 years will most likely be somewhere hot and sandy, but if you are considering military service, you should be already prepared for that. Best of luck and feel free to PM me if you want and more specific info or have questions. :wavey:

12. Currahee

Currahee NRA Member

ASVAB breakdown scores go to 130. Overal score goes to 99.

13. fourdeuce2

fourdeuce2

Did your whole Army career include the period from 1975 to 2002? That's when I was in.
    Anyway, here's a scan of my Personnel Qualification Record printout(with my SSN blocked out). Line 11 is GT score(It says GT SCORE).

[​IMG]

BTW, I knew another guy who had the same GT score, but he was an idiot. It was nice having him around, though. He made me look good, just in comparison.:wavey:

14. fourdeuce2

fourdeuce2

It's not just when you're deployed that you work outside your MOS.:cool: In 15 years active duty with the Army, I probably spent at least 5 of those years not working in my MOS(11C and 84B). Of course, that's not always a bad thing. It gives you some variety and the chance to learn something new. Of course, one of the downsides of that is that, even when I wasn't working in my MOS, I was responsible for keeping up with my proficiency in it. Every year, I had to take the SQT. They probably have something different now, but they still probably measure your proficiency in your MOS every year.:dunno:

15. Currahee

Currahee NRA Member

Not sure when it changed but the current ASVAB GTs only goes to 130. I guess back in the olden days the scales were different.

Soldiers who are impressed by their own ASVAB scores annoy me (not saying anyone in this thread, just in general). We had a guy in CO who had a 130 GT and liked to brag about it. Couldn't carry his ruck for 1 day by himself. In Iraq one of the other soldiers broke this guy's nose while they were on OP together cause he was annoying him so bad.

Hey if you are infantry a GT of around 45 is all you need baby!

I dunno FourDuece, you sure you didn't type that by yourself to win an argument on the internet ;)

16. fourdeuce2

fourdeuce2

Yep, you found me out.:crying::tongueout: That's what I do for fun. Notice on the paper I scanned, I made myself a SSG. I didn't want to make myself a General. That would have been too obvious.
    What's funny is this is the second time I've been called a liar(or just told I was full of it) on this board.:dunno: Over on the artillery thread I explained how I used to be a FO(forward observer) when the mortar platoons had their own FO's, and someone told me I was wrong on that, too. I guess I could be wrong, and maybe I never worked as a FO in a mortar platoon. :supergrin:
    Heck, maybe I never even joined the Army.:cool:

17. Currahee

Currahee NRA Member

FourDeuce - I just want to make clear that I was joking about you forging your records. Internet not good for joke sometime.

18. fourdeuce2

fourdeuce2

Got it.:thumbsup: I know some people actually do that and claim awards and experience they never got. :drillsgt:
    I guess it was good that I didn't mention the fact that I had made SSG just over 4 years from the time I went back in the Army as an E2. ;) Some people might have had a hard time believing that one, too. Not that it was that hard to do, since I had 6 years prior service before that.

19. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

AFQT definitely goes to 99. You may be talking about the line score parts of the asvab (GS, AR, WK, etc.), but the scores on your 2-1 are Army line scores (not the same for other services), such as GT, FA, EL, CO, etc., are composite scores made up of combinations of the ASVAB lines scores (i.e., GT score is ASVAB AR + VE), and they definitely go higher than 130.

My GT is 135. Searching a little on google, I just found a few references to a max of 140, others say 130, like you, and another saying 135 is the max for any line score (definitely wrong, because I have several above 135. I don't know what the max really is, but it is above 130 and others go above 140). This is a recent test (Nov. 2006) because nobody could come up with my 1980's scores when I was working with the recruiting office to reenlist. My 80's scores were lower, with a 121 GT (16 years old vs. 41 with a couple of college degrees). I don't know if the scores were different back then, although Mensa required a GT of 136 to join before 1980, but they no longer accept the GT.

20. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

AFQT definitely goes to 99. You may be talking about the line score parts of the asvab (GS, AR, WK, etc.), but the scores on your 2-1 are Army line scores (not the same for other services), such as GT, FA, EL, CO, etc., are composite scores made up of combinations of the ASVAB lines scores (i.e., GT score is ASVAB AR + VE), and they definitely go higher than 130.

My GT is 135. Searching a little on google, I just found a few references to a max of 140, others say 130, like you, and another saying 135 is the max for any line score (definitely wrong, because I have several above 135. I don't know what the max really is, but it is above 130 and others go above 140). This is a recent test (Nov. 2006) because nobody could come up with my 1980's scores from my high school test when I was working with the recruiting office. My 80's scores were lower, with a 121 GT (16 years old vs. 41 with a couple of college degrees). I don't know if the scores were different back then, although Mensa required a GT of 136 to join before 1980, but they no longer accept the GT.