Need advice on which vest, 5.11 or Rothco Plainclothes?

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by astepup, Sep 23, 2015.

Tags:
  1. astepup

astepup

Hello all, just looking for advice on what some of you use and why. During the fall/winter I usually have on a jacket of some type that allows me to use my nylon shoulder rig for my 1911. Now that I've recently purchased a G19 and G17 those are the guns of choice (once I get in enough range time to get completely familiar with them both). I'm larger than the average "Joe" being 6'3" and around 270 lbs. When spring/summer is here and the temps get up in the 80's + wearing a jacket of any kind is out so I usually end up carrying a Sig 380 in a pocket holster. Since I'd much rather carry a Glock and avoid "printing" if possible I've been doing research on both the 5.11 TacLite and the Rothco Plainclothes vests. I'd be using an OWB holster with the vest. Which one would be a little longer to better hide a weapon on a belt? What are your thoughts on either of them as far as comfort in hotter weather and overall quality/satisfaction? Thanks for any input.

2. Acujeff

Acujeff

You might want to call the companies to ask if their particular vest will cover OWB carry.

I prefer IWB carry and enjoy the cover and the many pockets vests provide. I tend to use the great vests by the fine pro-2A friends at Concealed Carry Clothiers. Their vests are made for OWB and IWB carry. You can also talk to them about your needs.

Phone: 888-959-4500

3. zennashton

zennashton

I use a 5.11 vest when I work at places that do not want the public to "see" an armed guard and its plenty long enough to hide a full size handgun in a full size level 3 holster. Has served me well, hope that helps.

4. happyguy

happyguy Man, I'm Pretty

I saw a fellow wearing a Tru-Spec vest and it was really sharp looking.

Regards,
    Happyguy :)

5. Bruce M

Bruce M

6. Deanster

Deanster Cheese? CLM Millennium Member

I know nothing about the specific items, but I'd take anything 5.11 over anything Rothco without even looking at it.

Rothco isn't 'bad', but 5.11 is actively good across their lines. Rothco is pretty consistently 'just OK'.

7. zbusdriver

zbusdriver

Neither, the vest look is creepy: :freak:

Sorry, the truth hurts.

Find another carry method...

Last edited: Sep 25, 2015
  8. zennashton

zennashton

Lol alot of people like the creppy look. You must not go to the mall much wierdos everywhere.

zbusdriver likes this.
  9. zbusdriver

zbusdriver

LOL! "creppy" excellent word usage. The Urban Dictionary definition of "creppy:" creepy and crappy at the same time.

10. SCmasterblaster

SCmasterblaster G17 carrier since 1989 Millennium Member

What state RU in? It sounds like OH or PA. I take it that you have a CCW. The G17 is a great gun for CCW. I have been doing it since 1989.

11. astepup

astepup

I'm actually in Iowa. The plan is to use the 19 for carry. The 17...well...it was one of those "had to have it" moments in life we all seem to suffer from time to time. I seem to be having more than my fair share lately :supergrin:

12. Decutor

Decutor

I always felt like the vest thing would be for maybe a professional, like Zenna who carries / did carry at work.

I think you should look into maybe a different style of cover garment, like a workshirt, perhaps with rolled sleeves for warmer weather.

13. Sharkey

Sharkey

Agree. Try a camp shirt. Now would also be a good time to lose some pounds to help conceal as well

14. SCmasterblaster

I take it that OC is OK in your state.

15. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

He wasn't asking about OC. Do you even read the threads?

16. SCmasterblaster

I guess that I misread it, please forgive me.

17. fasteddie565

fasteddie565 Combat Diver

Let me throw you a curve here. If the goal is summer CCW in an OWB rig, consider the 5.11 tactical series SS shirts. They are designed to be worn OWB and they have them in XS - 2XL. I wear a 52 sport coat and size 40 pants and the 2XL is just a trifle too big, but much more comfy. LA Police gear has them on sale for $22 a piece. I have about 10-12 of them and wear them with shorts, jeans or 5.11 "Shoot me First" pants. My point in offering this is that the vest yells gun, especially in the summer. These shirts, made to CCW, are stylish comfortable, cool and ON SALE! I have the select, classic and performance models. The performance ones (first in the video) are the lightest weight and coolest in hot weather.

18. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

I have a bunch of Hawiian shirts for summer. I usually wear a shoulder holster under them, but they will conceal anything. Besides being much lighter than a vest, and not making you look like you are pretending you are on the mall ninja SWAT team, the pattern helps the concealment, by breaking up the outline of anythinbg printing through the cloth. If I'm walking my dogs on the street, I wear something bright, like orange or red - going in the woods I wear something in greens and browns, so it's camo for both me and my gun.
    [​IMG]

19. Jim

Jim

Bren-
    Which one of those guys is you?

:supergrin:

20. Jim

Jim

What about IWB with a plain ol' polo shirt?
    Readily available in different sizes and patterns to break up any printing. Just get one that's long enough and you may be ok even for OWB.

If I really needed the quicker access you get from an open front vest, then I might wear the vest. Or just stay home.