close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Need advice on training dogs for boar hunt

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by Tommy Gunn, Dec 29, 2002.

1. Tommy Gunn

Tommy Gunn 1911 user

How does one train a dog to pursue wild pigs?

I want to use dogs for hunting wild hogs, but I am afraid they might chase after deer and other game.

Can anyone give me some advice?

2. davesglock30

davesglock30

i have never done it, but a friend of mine told me how they trained their dogs. he said that they went out and caught a small hog (under 50lbs) and then put the dog and the hog in a fenced in area together. he said that when the hog would start freak out the dog would start to attack the hog and get its "taste" for hogs. i'm not sure if this is exactly how he does it but this is what i remembered him telling me. it may not be the "sanest" way of doing it either!;Q if i were you i'd wait for someone else to reply and ignore my post!;f :)

3. Tommy Gunn

Tommy Gunn 1911 user

I had thought about buying some pigs from local farmers for this...

It does seem like a good idea.

4. noway

noway

I second the above suggestion.

A good medium build dog when place in a fenced off field will learn to chase the hog. I think alot of the dog instincts is from sight and hearing vrs smelling. So the dog must know this animal when present should be chased. But who knows what a dog really would do, "I've seen hog hound chased deers, get side track and chase a rabbit or even chase each other"

5. bocephus549

bocephus549 Bo Knows.......

Be sure to carry needle and thread when you hunt them. It is very common for a dog to get cut up badly when they catch one.

6. davesglock30

davesglock30

yeah that's another thing i forgot to add is be prepared for the dog to get cut. don't take out a dog that's like a child to you! the guys i know take a kit with them that consists of needles, thread, disposable razor and some wierd looking antiseptic powder. when the dog gets layed open they shave around the wound, dump some of this powder on and in the wound so it doesn't get infected and then stitch him/her up! you can pretend your on ER!! your dog will probably look at you real funny though if you do that though!!;e ;Q

7. noway

noway

I've sen numerous dogs get hurt from baying up a hog but all where hurt from running and being dragged thru the brush by the hog and not by the hog directly. For some reason dogs seems to know better to stay out of the reach of mouthes and tusks.

Down here in South Florida, a avg hog is running at 100-150lbs with avg dog around 30-50lbs. If they grab at the hog rear legs or neck and get dragged thru palmetto leaves & catctus and such, then the dog will take a beating.

FYI:Once I saw a dog get ran over by the driver of the ATV. The dog cut off the driver and got clipped by the front right tire. Other than being shaken up and the soft mud/sand cushionin the weight of the vehicle, the dog was alive and looked to be uninjured.

You will be surprise as to how tuffs dogs can be.

8. bocephus549

bocephus549 Bo Knows.......

noway; you are right dogs are tough. I had a coon dog ( Female Walker )that had her ear split in two from the base to the tip by a coon she was fighting and she hunted the rest of the night without a whimper. They are a heck of a lot tougher than we are!!

9. Bruz

Bruz

True they are tough but my info is that hog dogs do not retire of old age...they sell Army surplus surgical scalples and stuff to sew up gashes on like www.gunbroker.com .