close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

need advice on hog hunting in FL.

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by davesglock30, Nov 25, 2002.

1. davesglock30

davesglock30

hi, i am getting ready to go hog hunting in about a month here in central florida(gainesville area). i need any and all info that you can provide because i have never hunted hogs before. here is my list of ;d ;d .
    #1. what is generally the best way to hunt them? stand or stalk?
    #2. how do you field dress them? i've done deer before.
    #3. i'm going to be using either a marlin 45-70 or 12GA slug, that should be more than plenty, right?
    #4. is a behind the shoulder shot what you want to go for?
    #5. what kind of area's do they thrive in? basically what kind of area to go looking for them in?(eg. swampy area, thick woods, open woods) well these are about it for now. if there is anything you can add please do because i really want to have a succesful hunt!! thank you all!!:) also i was wondering if an AK-47 would be powerful enough to stop a hog reliably?

2. noway

noway

Here you go let me give it a stab;

1> You can stalk them on foot, in a buggy, run them down with dogs and if you like the easy boring way, in a stand over a feeder and just wait.Night time hunts are great if you don't mind the light attracting all sorts of bugs.

2> Pretty much same as deer, just watch out for urine and you will be okay.

3> Any one of those would be MORE THAN adequate

4> Behind the shoulder, in the head ( assuming not to be mounted ) or my favorite spot in the ear is almost always a final stopper. Any shot in the head area will almost always require a stationary hog and steady hand.Hard to shoot a hog on the run.the hogs heart is not in the exact same place as a typical deer so you might want to review the hogs anatomy to learn of the vitals. Just remember with a lung shot the hog still can run quite a distance and very fast at that.

5> I haven't seen any in very wet/swamp ground, but you can find them free roaming in some of the WMA or shell out the money and head to a outfit that has wild boar hunts. Here you will have a bigger easier time at getting that just right boar/sow. Down South there are numerous locations between Ft Myers and Stuart FL that have adequate Boar hunts. A few of the Public areas have wild hogs but all that I have seen where quite small maybe 80lbs or less more like 50 to 75lbs ranges. I've actually seen on more than 1 occassion hogs forging for food off of I-95 just north of Martin and Indian River cty.

As far as a AK47 goes anything that's bigger than a 22mag can take a hog with the right shot placement. I myself perfer a handgun like Smith in 357/44mag, 10mm pistol or a shotgun.If you do use a rifle or shotgun the shorter barrel comes in handing when working the ground and scrub brushes.....

Hope this helps out.

btw: Favorite spots in So Fla are the Big Cypress and reservation, all around the West and East side of Okeechobee and numerous locations in Hendry Cty.

3. davesglock30

davesglock30

thanks for the advice noway!!!:) i'm thinking about after i get a few hunts under my belt going out with my G30 filled with .45 supers and getting one!

also: i've heard some people talking about cutting their testicles off!? i know on farm hogs you cut them off when they are young so the meat doesn't taste funny when they are older. but why do it after they are already grown and dead? has anyone else heard of this?

4. noway

noway

True, my grand dad castrated piglets before their one 1month old IIRC. What and how it does on older mature males, I can't tell the difference but a sow and boar meat do taste different and the sow is very much better.

btw: Up in you're neck of the woods check out http://www.suwanneeriverranch.com/ I heard of various hogs that are in the 200lb+ and they actually have a photo of a 1kLb plus hog.

5. noway

noway

Davesg30,

and to add;
    I was in wally mart last night and the Fl Game&Fish magazine had the hotspots down in SOUTH florida for public hog hunts. I know it is not close to Ocala, but should give you and idea of what is availabel via the WMA.I'm actually planning a trip to JWcorbett/WMA ( Palm Bch cty) for tracking rabbits next weekend.You might want to check the Fl Game&Fish magazine out or better yet get a subscription to Boar Hunting magazines.I do belive most Barnes & Noble normally carry it or try Outdoors World.

Once you you hunt a few wild hogs the sport will get addictive. Also for outsider readers, deer in Fl ( specially south ) are mostly small as a pinto beans and the wild hog is the next best thing on 4 legs for hunting.