Need advice on first glock

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by MetalSlugIV, Jan 11, 2010.

1. MetalSlugIV

MetalSlugIV

Not only will this be my first glock purchase but my first gun purchase. I went to my local range a few times and rented a Berreta 92FS and then the next time I rented the Glock 17. I loved the Glock 17. When I found out about the GSSF and the LE price they offer I became even more set on a Glock. The distributor I am near is OMB guns. They have a Glock 17 listed for $398.20. Is this a good purchase for a first timer? Should I browse gun shows for a better deal? I need some direction here. I'm tired of renting at the local range.

2. GarryK

GarryK

I've had my G17 for just over a week, and I LOVE it. It was my first pistol purchase, and I couldn't be happier. I didn't know about GSSF before I got it, and I paid $530. $400 is better than you would find on a used one. Having said that, I'd go pay $530 again if I had to. I'm looking at doing the GSSF now for a G20, possibly. It seems like a great program.
    You're on the right track, and you're likely to get some great advice on this board. Good luck, and welcome!

3. shootindave

shootindave

Shoot a G19 too. You might find it fits your hand better and is an easier gun to carry.

ETA: I know people who have had good and bad expiriences with OMB (almost all good though). Just make sure your gun is IN STOCK before paying.

Dave

4. Butch

Butch RetiredDinosaur CLM Millennium Member

Yup, that's a good price, an excellent choice, and the perfect gun for shooting the GSSF matches! If they have a couple extra magazines, it's best to have at least four for GSSF uses.

And, in case no one's said it yet, welcome to GlockTalk! You too GarryK!

5. MetalSlugIV

MetalSlugIV

The guy at the range recommend the G19 for the same reason. They had both for rental. I was there with a friend so we went with G17 since he had not shot a pistols since he was 12. Neither of our hands are very small and we didn't have a problem gripping the G17. We split the cost of the rental and ammo and just took turns.

I can't get a CCW permit for another year. I'm 22 and the age for CCW is 23 in Missouri. So getting a gun for carry is not a priority. I might go back and rent the G19 to see if I like it.

I will be going to OMB in person. It's a bit of a drive from where I live but I will just call ahead and make sure they have whichever model in stock before I commit and use up the gas!

6. Sol

Sol

Thats a very good price, gret pistol.

7. greatwun

greatwun Senior Member

Go for it. Cant beat GSSF price

8. alwaysshootin

alwaysshootin

Get the 17, that's a great price, doubt you will beat it anywhere. That being said, I'd take the 17 over a 19 any day of the week, or a 26, or a 34, or the 17L. Just dumped a Beretta for the second time. Shooting it along side a 17 there is no comparison in the way they feel. IMHO the 17 is the best shooting, feeling, 9mm I've ever shot, and I've owned somewhere around a dozen different ones. Bought the 17 yet? :cool:

9. robertwh

robertwh

Buy it! That's my advice!:wavey:

10. MavsX

MavsX The Dude Abides

do it do it do it buy the 17 now!

11. youngvr4

youngvr4

12. mad.gunsmith

mad.gunsmith NRA and GSSF Life Member

buy it GSSF price is the best price for a new Glock any were

13. mhmills

mhmills

OMB is in Kansas so they will probably need to send it to a Missouri FFL to do the transfer. You may not have to drive there.

14. MetalSlugIV

MetalSlugIV

Thanks for that tip! I just called OMB and sure enough I can't go and get it. I have to get it sent to a Missouri FFL to do the transfer. That will tack on a $35 fee from my local gun store but oh well it will still be a sweet deal. Like I said, this will be my first firearms purchase ever so this kind of thing never even crossed my mind. I guess if I wanted to buy a gun from Cabela's (in KS) I would have to do the same thing. It sucks living so close to the state line. I'm withing spitting distance of Kansas. Three blocks down the road is the Missouri River!

Last edited: Jan 11, 2010
  15. Steel Head

Steel Head Tactical Cat

You cann't beat GSSF prices even with a transfer fee tacked on
    Before you decide try the 19-if you want more mag capacity buy some 17 mags of even a couple of 18 mags:wow: for it-they fit great

16. DEADLYACCURATE

DEADLYACCURATE Senior Member

:welcome: BUY IT NOW actually I think you should look at the 19 first and then make the choice

17. glockguerilla

glockguerilla

18. Armed-N-Ready

Armed-N-Ready Glock Clone

That's an excellent price for an excellent pistol, now have an excellent day and buy the G17 along with some extra mags!

19. jesse2205

jesse2205

I just got my first glock a couple months ago. I too decided to go with the g17, it just fit my hands better. You will not regret your purchase! Don't think this will be your last glock! Its addicting.

20. beforeobamabans

beforeobamabans FYPM

There's a reason Gaston invented the 17 first. It was his best, first effort. Buy yourself a modern day classic and enjoy. You'll have plenty of time to add to your collection later. But you will never regret buying the 17 first. You already know in your heart this is the pistol for you so just go with your gut.