close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Need Advice on best AR around $1100.00

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by PA1911, Mar 23, 2010.

1. PA1911

PA1911

Hello everyone,

I am a newb when it comes to the AR but I have been studying. I want to stay around 1100 dollars complete. Yesterday I shot an AR for the first time, my friend got a Ruger 556. Now i have the bug. I do realize this a gas piston gun but i am looking for D.I.

I am looking for something around the size of the ruger (midsize?) I think. I have seen the Daniel Defense XV for $999 which is real tempting for a carbine. My reason for buying is mostly just to have an AR, Ive always wanted one. I need something that will do well at close and reasonably long range, nothing crazy. i wont be big on lights lasers or other accesories right now so the rail handguards arent mandatory but are a bonus. Flattop reciever is important (I may add an optic later)
    I basically want an all around AR that can see longer ranges, some home defense if needed, and general plinking.

I need to stay real close to 1100 dollars. I am leaning toward Daniel, LMT, Bravo Company, the higher tier guns because I want to buy the best I can afford now. I dont mean this to knock any other companies. I do realize some of the companies offer guns above my budget, and if convinced I can go a little higher

Thanks for the help, I know this is a common question

PA1911

Last edited: Mar 23, 2010
  2. djegators

djegators

You can definitely get a top tier AR in that price range, as long as you are fine with the basic model. Buy the BCM lower and upper, and you will get what you want in your price range. Also, probably can get close on Noveske, if you build your own lower (don't think they sell complete lowers)..also could buy a BCM or D lower, add a noveske basic upper, and that gets you to $1200 (Noveske basic complete rifle ~$1450). Should still be able to get a Colt 6920 for about that as well, if you are OK with a carbine instead of a mid-length.

3. WayaX

WayaX Lifetime Member

Get the Daniel Defense. Them, and BCM are the best bang for the buck in the AR world right now.

4. PA1911

PA1911

I think I want to shoot for a midlength, is that what the ruger would be? I really liked the size of it. Does a carbine feel alot shorter than a midlength?

I have to admit Bravo Company's site boggles my mind. I dont know what parts will work with what parts. will any lower and upper work?

5. WayaX

WayaX Lifetime Member

Essentially yes. Buy the upper receiver you want, then buy a lower receiver to go with it. The lower receiver has to go through an FFL dealer. The upper can come right to your door.

I just purchased a noveske upper from Rainier arms and am going to put it onto a Stag lower receiver that I assembled myself.

The noveske upper cost $865. A basic lower w/parts kit and stock would be around $200-250 depending on what roll mark you want on it (any fancy parts would obviously be extra).

6. PA1911

PA1911

I have just found out that the Ruger 556 I shot is actually a carbine and not a midlength, is this correct? If so, it really makes me lean toward the Daniel Defense DDXV for $999. If i added a quad rail later, it would feel similar in size to the Ruger correct?

Sorry for the Ruger comparison, it is the only AR I have handled for comparison.

7. djegators

djegators

Get the DD, or the BCM...you will most likely prefer it to the Ruger... ;)

Personally, I like the mid length better than the carbine....

Last edited: Mar 23, 2010
  8. furioso2112

furioso2112

carbine/mid-length refers to the gas system (gas tube, simply stated), not the barrel length. Look at BCM's website, look at their mid-length uppers, they are 16" barrels.

If no red-dot, remember to check if your upper comes with BUIS (back-up iron sights). You can get a set of MagPuls (MBUS - they are plastic and metal, very good for the price) for under $100, very nice iron sights can run over $200 - look at the Troys, they have a great rep. 'Little things' can add up quickly - you are right to start with a quality upper; lowers, probably get the best deal you can find, but if a 'matched' (by manufacturer, anyway) lower is not much more expensive, you might get a bit better deal getting both from same place. Remember to factor in a sling, case, mags and ammo. If you think you will want a quad rail, look into getting an upper with one already on it, as it takes a bit of work and tools, which will cost, to install many of them. Quad rails are expensive, but if you having a little voice that tells you that you are going to want one, think it through - 'buy once, cry once' is hard to do with an AR. All sorts of little bits and pieces can get expensive quickly. They are lots of fun - you will likely want to shoot it all the time. Might want to consider 1000 rounds of ammo to get a better per-round price...look into the available info on ammo purchases, too - Palmetto State Armory and Widener's are my go-to places, great deals, great customer service. Cheers.

9. ambluemax

ambluemax

I'm kind of in the same boat, looking for a carbine length AR pretty much just for fun/club level competition and as a close range woods stalking rifle for whitetails. Simular price range. Looking to keep it simple and don't want optics right off the bat. I know just enough to be dangerous.

In DI guns I like the Rock River Elite CAR4 or the Bushmaster Shorty carbine. They seem to reputable brands and these models come with full thickness barrels instead of the m4 profile which appeals to me YMMV.

I'm actually leaning more to a pistol style gun because I like the idea of the heat being out front instead of in the reciever. In piston guns I'm very interested in CMMG's design. Not sure on the specific model, but they had one at the local shot and I liked it. I also see that Smith and Wesson is coming out with a piston gun now, I'll probably look into that one too.

If you get an A3 or A4 style carry handle then the handle sight is attacked to a flat top rail so you can remove it and mount optics in the future if you want. With A2's and whatnot the handle and sight is permantly affixed.

10. PA1911

PA1911

I am really leaning toward the DDVX. Any opinions on this model in particular?

Seems like great quality for the price, and I can upgrade it later.

Thanks

11. turbobrian

turbobrian

12. djegators

djegators

Don't see how you could go wrong. Good rifle, good price, its what you want....so do it!

13. ArmoryDoc

ArmoryDoc

Need Advice on best AR around $1100.00

That's easy. Bravo Company.

14. Feanor

Feanor

I\'d say it depends on the features you\'re most concerned with obtaining for your money spent, I\'d go with a MOR AR and then just add certain better components as you go along. I did just that with a bushmaster saving several hundred bucks in the process and ending up with a weapon the equal of any on the market.

15. ArmoryDoc

ArmoryDoc

With all due respect, actually, IMO you didn't. Outwardly it looks like the other AR's but it still isn't. Maybe close, which is still debatable, but not equal. :wavey:

16. kabob983

kabob983 "Mostly" Dead

The Ruger is a gas piston so you can't really compare it to any length DI gas system, it will feel different. The DD rifles are great, buy with confidence. Also, the BCM rifles are pretty much the best bang for the buck you can find now.

Daniel Defense
    Colt
    BCM
    LMT
    Noveske
    LaRue

You can't go wrong with any of 'em.

17. NDC187

NDC187

For the money Daniel Defense. Top notch quality and everything is mil-spec.

18. thisaway

thisaway

The DD would be a good choice, they are well-regarded.

19. PA1911

PA1911

Thanks for all the help everyone. I have finally decided(99% sure) on my first AR. I found a great deal on a new one. It stretched the budget a little so ammo and accessories will be a little slower coming, but I couldnt pass it up. Oh well, I plan on owning this one for a while so I figured what the heck.

Daniel Defense M4V2

[​IMG]

20. djegators

djegators

Sweet! Good deal?

You are thinking like me, buy what you really want, because you will have it many years. Average out a few hundred dollars over a few decades, and it ain't that big a deal. Buy the wrong rifle, and have to buy another, well, that's not as fun.