close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Need advice on a GPS unit

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by Petra, Sep 11, 2004.

1. Petra

Petra

I'm looking to get a simple GSP unit. My wife and I go camping and would like to have one for when we're in unfamiliar territory. I've been looking at the Garmin eTrex. I like it because it seems very simple to use and it's inexpensive. Has anyone used this unit and what do you think?

Mark

2. lomfs24

lomfs24

I have heard good things about the eTrex. I have not used one personally but I have a friend who loves his. They don't do all the stuff that I want a GPS to do but then again, I am running GPS against a mapping program and logging to a database. If you are looking at hiking in to unfamiliar country you may want to make sure it has topo maps or that ability to download maps to it. If you are looking for a GPS to go in the car you may look to find one that has the ability for street maps.

I don't think that anyone can tell you which one is the best, first decide what you want it to do and then find one that has those features.

You also might like the Rhino, I think it is also Garmin, It combines the GPS capabilities as well as the family radios FRS, I think. They also exchange GPS data between radios so that you can keep track of or find other people in your party who also have Rhino's. I think they are in the low $100 range. May even be cheaper on line or at eBay. You could always buy one Rhino now and one later as budget permits.

3. isp2605

isp2605

I've got a Garmin 12MAP and a yellow etrex. For traveling and geocaching the 12MAP is my primary because it has the built in road maps. I use the etrex for geocaching and hunting.
    I'd recommend a Garmin Legend. There's some pretty good prices on the Legend out there right now. It has the built in road maps and it's not that much more than an etrex. You can also download some topo and detailed maps, altho the memory isn't all that large.
    Those with Magellans like theirs but I've never had a Magellan so can't comment.

4. lomfs24

lomfs24

I have used Magellan every since I bought a Magellen 315 a while ago. And I still use it even as late as this very morning. I have also used a Magellen Gold and it worked very well. I bought and returned a Magellen Platinum (I think) it was the one with the electronic compass. Just a word to the wise, the electronic compass doesn't work. If you told it to use the compass from GPS data it worked fine, but only when you were moving. If you used the electronic compass it would swing as much as 25 degrees while the compass is sitting still.

I probably wouldn't pay the extra money for the Magellen Color.

5. peter_atl

peter_atl

I have an eTrex Vista and bought my dad a Magellan Meredian Platinum for Christmas. If you're going to buy the more expensive eTrex, I'd recommend that you go for the Magellan line as they have larger displays, better buttons, removable flash memory for maps, and are somewhat newer than the more expensive Garmins. For just a basic GPS, the lower end (yellow and one above it) Garmin eTrex's are fine units and are very easy to stash away size-wize.

The canonical site for GPS information is of course: http://gpsinformation.net/

The only problem with the eTrex is that it is a little older than some of the new models from Garmin and other companies, but it fills the niche well.

Good luck!

-Peter

6. noway

noway

I have 2 magellans ( 310 & 330M ) and both are more than adequate with the 330M model being faster satellite pickup and alot more waypoint and the topo or street maps are very good and detail, other than the cost and arm and leg to buy ( at least the topo maps )

7. rfb45colt

rfb45colt safe-cracker

I've had a Magellan 2000 since 1995. It's only use is for hunting.... finding tree stand locations before sunrise, and back to my truck again after dark. But when I took it off my closet shelf last week, to install fresh batteries for the upcoming hunting season, it would not lock onto any satelites. This happened once before, and I did a re-initialzation (which took almost 24 hours before it would lock on). So I tried that again. I left it on, in "search" mode. After 30 hours, I gave up and orfered a new one.

I received my new one from Cabelas last Friday. It's a Cobra 100 ($99). It's GREAT, so far... I've been "playing" with it for the past 3 days. Initialization was complete in under 2 minutes (which I did in my living room... instructions say to do it outdoors), and when outside, it has locked on and given me a "fix" in under 1 minute every time (the Magellan, when working, always took about 4-5 minutes for an initial fix). My Magellan 2000 is admittedly an old unit, but the speed of the Cobra is amazing!!! And so is the accuracy. I took a position fix while sitting on my picnic table in my front yard. I then drove 30 miles north into Michigan, did a "go-to" to that "fix", then drove back home. I was a measured 12' from the original spot when it said I had "arrived at my destination". As I walked from my driveway to the picnic table, it counted down the feet remaining until it reached "zero", when a beeper sounded and the screen said I was there... I was about 4 paces away.

The Cobra 100 doesn't have any mapping features nor maps "in memory"... but for a no frills, inexpensive way to find your way to an exact spot, it's a good choice.

BTW... before throwing the Magellan away, yesterday I decided to try it one more time. It's now working again. ???

8. Jeep274

Jeep274 Member When?

I have a Garmin Venture and really like it. Very easy to use, compact and affordable. I would recommend the Legend or Summit as they have the added features I want. The Summit has mapping as well as the electronic compass. The Legend and Venture compasses only move/adjust when you are moving. You should be able to get the Summit for under $200.

9. skfullgun

skfullgun

I have the Etrex bottom of the line model ($99 from Walmart) and it does everything I need it to. I use it to locate reefs and sandbars in Matagorda Bay and use it to locate hunting stands and find my way back to camp.

I have used it, just for kicks, to map out reverse road trips, and it appears to be very accurate.