close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Need advice, moving & law school, Western WA vs. Reno...

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by TED, Aug 17, 2012.

1. TED

TED Millennium Member

I live in Alaska now. I want to move either to Western Washington or Reno. I also want to go to law school in one of the two places.

What are your thoughts about Western Washington vs. Reno?

TED

Last edited: Aug 17, 2012
  2. teumessian_fox

teumessian_fox

My thoughts on law school. Don't waste your money unless you're going to an Ivy League institution.

Research the law suit law school grads initiated against their law school for (the law school) falsifying employment data.

3. squatchie666

squatchie666

I can't really offer any advice on either location other than to say that Nevada has some very gun friendly laws (with the exception that guns are banned on all school campuses included higher education).
    I am in my last semester of law school at UNLV in Las Vegas, NV. Something you should know is that the legal market is not great right now for trying to find a job as a new lawyer, but the comment suggesting only Ivy league law schools are worth it is incorrect. If you're in the top of your class and on Law Review from a decent law school then hopefully you'll be fine (I can't predict the legal market in 3-4 years when you graduate). In my opinion you don't get a better legal education at Ivy League schools, you just pay a TON more money and have an easier time finding a job. I don't know about the schools in Reno, but UNLV is ranking somewhere around 75th right now which makes it a decent law school.

Don't go to law school because you want to become rich, that is highly unlikely in today's economy and overabundance of attorneys even with an Ivy league degree. Go to law school only if you truly want to be an attorney, you want to do the job. I decided to go to law school on the spur of the moment because I was tired of my career and wanted a change. Now that I am doing an internship at the Public Defender's office I think I have found a job that I will really enjoy.
    I will say this again, only go to law school if you truly want to work as an attorney or maybe go into politics because I don't see any other valid reason to go. I know that I'm going to have a tough time finding a job when I graduate in December, but the numbers of new law students has finally started to decrease so hopefully there won't be such an overabundance of attorneys when you graduate and the economy will be better. I am an average student at an average school, but I consider my education to be as good as any so-called Ivy league education.
    So yes, do some research and understand what you're getting into with law school before you start incurring the debt. However if you truly want to work as an attorney then I would recommend you do it.

4. robin303

robin303 Helicopter Nut

I'm working with a guy right now that moved from Washington because he could not stand the weather. Here in Cen Tx all he talks about is the heat and the weather. :rofl: I would go to Reno. At least they have Air Races. :cool:

5. Powers77

Powers77

Can't speak too much to the law school aspect other than a very good friend of the wife quit her good HR job with a Fortune 100 to live her dream of going to law school.
    She did well, passed the bar etc... but has not even come close to the same wage in the five years since. Partially due to the current economy I'm sure but I think it was a real shock to her.
    We have been in Vegas for 3 years or so and have been through the Reno area a few times. I kind of like it. It is near skiing, the weather is pretty nice and NV has no state income tax. I've visited Western WA and I could not deal with all the rain personally.

6. The Dying Gaul

The Dying Gaul

Have you been accepted to a law school in either of those locations? Taken the LSAT?

I would suggest staying where you are, applying to your top five law school choices, once you get accepted move.

Make sure you really want to be an attorney. The legal job market is tight right now. When I came out of law school 9 years ago I had my choice of career option. Graduating in most locales now, not so much.

Examine why you want to be an attorney first, it is an extremely stressful career to say the least.

Also, Nevada does not have reciprocity with other states, so if you take bar there and then decide to move, you end up taking the bar a second time. The bar exam sucks, and I passed it the first time.

7. Mrs.Cicero

Mrs.Cicero Wayward Member

Law schools graduate 45000 wannabe attorneys every year. There are 25000 lawyer jobs available every year, and that number is projected to rise by only 7000 jobs per year over the next 20 years.

Law salaries, on average, are tanking. Unless you're at an elite law school (there are none in Washington state nor Nevada), you most likely will incur approximately $120,000-150,000 in law school debt (you have out of state tuition, except possibly Washington which has some kind of sharing arrangement with Alaska). Add on top of that the $30,000 per year opportunity cost that you could be earning doing real work, or that you could be using to go into a career with a future. Average salaries in most of the country are in the $50K - $60K range for a good private job. Because India (a) speaks English, and (b) is a common law country, there are hundreds of thousands of Indian lawyers who are trained to do most of the legal grunt work at $10/hour.
    Feel free to read the following blogs for a taste of what's waiting for you. Although this represents a bitter fringe, it's a very large, very realistic bitter fringe. IMO most law school graduates are now the bitter fringe.

Third Tier Reality: http://thirdtierreality.blogspot.com/ (warning -- every post is preceded by pictures of faeces)

Sallie Mae's Bi7ch (spell the last word correctly - I left out the "t"): http://almostdebtfree1.blogspot.com/

"but i did everything right": http://butidideverythingrightorsoithought.blogspot.com/

"Demosthenes of America" vendetta blog: http://outsideliesmagic.blogspot.com/

You'll get the general picture and a blog roll from there. Paul Campos' blog, "inside the law school scam" http://insidethelawschoolscam.blogspot.com/ http://insidethelawschoolscam.blogspot.com/is also excellent.

The best source, however, is Brian Tamanaha's most recent book on law school. He's brilliant, and he nails it. The Law School Tuition Bubble is also a balanced but absolutely dismal picture of the future facing the legal profession and explains in nauseating detail why law school is often not worth it if you have to pay. http://lawschooltuitionbubble.wordpress.com/

Go to veterinary school. Go to geology school. Go to engineering school. Go become a real estate broker. You will thank me later. Unless the school at which you are accepted gives you a free ride, the odds are that you will be a slave to your non-dischargeable (it will follow you for the rest of your life even through bankruptcy) debt with nothing to show for it.

Finally, the two states you're looking at are bad legal markets. Nevada has one law school and is already oversupplied with lawyers. I don't know about Washington state. The oil boom is good in ND and OH/PA/WV and TX/OK, but the lawyers who are already on the ground have most of the good work sewed up.

Cicero, hijacking Mrs. C's screen name.

8. TED

TED Millennium Member

I was on lunch when I posted and only had a moment.

I'm in the National Guard and my goal with law school would be to apply for a direct commission as an active duty JAG Officer.

TED

9. squatchie666

squatchie666

I have a friend in law school with me who is trying to get into JAG after she graduates. JAG accepts about 4% of applicants. If you just want a direct commission then you should find another way with a medical degree or MBA or something. Chances are you will be stuck with $50,000 - $100,000 in student loans and no JAG. Then you're stuck with either returning to your current career or becoming a civilian attorney so you'd better enjoy the job.
    The only reason I can recommend for you to go to law school is if you really want to do the work of a lawyer. This is just my opinion, but it is the opinion of someone who's done 3 years of law school and is about to take the bar and enter the legal world.

10. Happypuppy

Happypuppy

Washington is hugely expensive for school. In fact they have preference for out of state applicants to get more money. A class is almost $300.00 a unit vs some states it's $100.00 or so for the same thing. The Cost of Living last I looked was #5 in the USA. My children went from Kindergarten to College here, for grad school they are going out of state to Texas.

Sent via Mental Power

11. Tombstone

Tombstone

Don't believe there are any law schools in Reno unless UNR has one. Closest one would be Sacramento, McGeorge School of Law I believe.

12. The Dying Gaul

The Dying Gaul

If you really really want to be an attorney, do it. Just do it the right way. It can be done on a budget. For instance, I graduated from a very respectable law school (it was ranked around 40 nationally when I went) with only about 35k in debt. How did I do this, for one, I selected a law school in an affordable state. I was accepted to several private Universities, Syracuse was one of them. But I decided to go elsewhere due to the tuition and high cost of living in New York. I ended up in the mid-west at a public University.

After acceptance I used the tuition rules to my advantage and obtained in-state tuition. I made no frivolous purchases during the 3 years. I lived very simply. I worked for the local District Attorney"s Office after my first year.

It can be done on a budget. I continued to live like this for 2 years after law school, and in that time paid back all my loans and was debt free. It's possible, but you must be frugal.

Again, my advice is determine 5 law schools you would like to attend and research their admission criteria. Take the LSAT first and see where you are. If you bomb the LSAT it will limit your law school choices. If you ace it, scholarships will become available. If you would like additional advice or have questions about law school, PM me.

13. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01

The Nevada DMV SUCKS, and they bend you over every year when you renew your registration. Just saying.

Our gun laws are nice though. I'm leaving Sunday and moving back to WI though.

14. Gokyo

Gokyo

I like living western WA.

There are a lot schools to choose from.

The world needs more scientists and engineers and maybe fewer lawyers and politicians.

Maybe go into medicine and do the world some good?

15. TED

TED Millennium Member

It is interesting that at least two of you have mentioned med school as an alternative. I was previously considering becoming a doctor of osteopathy (DO). I started leaning heavily towards law rather than medicine due to what I perceived as being a shorter time in school and lower $$ cost. For example, if I want to go to law school, assuming I was accepted, I could goo directly, I would not need any more pre-req's and I would be done in 5 years. If I went to med school, it seems like it would be more like 8 years, esepcially considering pre-req's and residency, etc.

16. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

I went to law school. I wish I wasn't a lawyer and could move to Alaska. The grass is not greener in Washington or Nevada with a law degree.