close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Need advice from a LinkedIn expert.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Detectorist, Oct 10, 2012.

1. Detectorist

Detectorist

All of a sudden I'm getting a ton of emails from LinkedIn saying that I'm now 'connected' to so and so, whom I don't know or care to know.

How do I prevent that?

2. RenoF250

RenoF250

Did you send out a ton of invites? I would guess they are spam and not from linkedin at all. Probably trying to get you to click a link and give your password.

3. scwine

scwine ^%(#@$^!!!!!!!

Same thing happened to me. When joining they sneak it into the whole registration process just like everyone else(like linking to your Gmail, Facebook, etc.). Probably won't happen again. Just play around with your settings and the site. You can delete your connections as well.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2012
  4. MN-glock27

MN-glock27

As far as I know, you have to approve all "connections." My guess is it's some sort of phishing email trying to get your login info.

I know I get similar emails with facebook, saying so and so wants to be friends (most of the time I actually recognize the name) with a link to log in. However, when I actually login in on the real facebook site there's nothing there.

5. UtahIrishman

UtahIrishman BLR Silver Member

Might want to check and make sure your account hasn't been compromised. A number of Linked-In accounts were compromised a couple months ago. If you haven't changed your password since then there's a possibility your account has been jacked.

I'd change your password just to be sure, and check your own account not e-mails that may or may not actually be from Linked-In.

6. ca survivor

ca survivor

LinkedIn will do that, I can get rid of mine either, I just delete them and don't open.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2012
  7. Drjones

Drjones

If you look very carefully at the links, I'm pretty sure you'll see they are a scam; hover your mouse over & look at exactly where it's trying to take you, most likely not a legit site.

Be very careful.

8. Brian Lee

Brian Lee Drop those nuts

Simple delete your account completely like I did (before their big security failure - luckily). I was also dragged into getting an account with them totally by accident just because I was sent an email invitation from a business contact I don't really care to know in the first place, and like a stooge, I clicked on some sort of simple OK button to acknowledge rather than rudely ignore the guy.... Big mistake. Linkedin wouldn't stop bothering me after that.

Fact is, Linkedin is useless to me because it's so much easier to make truly worthwhile & profitable contacts face to face or on the phone in person. Linkedin just spreads my information around to people who'd only waste my time if I took their calls. Now I just delete every email invitation I get about joining. I still do have a few customers who are on Linkedin, but I already knew all of them and didn't meet them through the site.

Just another way to give too much information to people who have no business seeing it IMO.