Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My fiancé is going to college for criminal justice to become a cop then later FWC, hopefully. She's actually doing her psychological test right now as I write this. She has done 2 ride alongs and absolutely loves it. I'd imagine after the police academy finding a job can be difficult, so what advice can I give her? Is there an advantage to being a female applying since they are needed to frisk females?

So far I had her get her concealed weapons permit, figuring it'd look good. I've been helping her shoot and fixing her grip and such (she shoots very well now). I've been having her carry and not be scared of guns, but keeping safety in mind. I paid for her to join a crossfit gym to be as fit as possible (she's already in great shape, but I figured it can't hurt and it's fun she says).

She wants to get into tampa pd (or hillsborough I forgot) since they pay great, and we live in tampa. Is there anything else we can do to help her get a job out of the police academy? She's trying to get into the academy in January I believe.

Thanks guys, and we appreciate what you all do!

·
Registered
5,531 Posts
Besides English, how many other languages does she speak?

I'd say forget the CJ degree. Get a business or science degree. The PA will teach her what she needs to know. The important stuff she will learn on the street.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Besides English, how many other languages does she speak?

I'd say forget the CJ degree. Get a business or science degree. The PA will teach her what she needs to know. The important stuff she will learn on the street.
That's funny because I told her it'd be a good idea to learn Spanish. Yeah she only knows English and she's white (not being racist, but I know how it works these days). She is already pretty far into the criminal justice degree though since that is what she was told by the school that she needed. She already has the amount of credits she needs to apply for the academy. Maybe after that and after she gets hired she can major in something else. Can I ask why a science or business degree would help with being a cop or FWC? I'm not doubting, I'm just curious. I'm a cellular bio major pursuing to become a dentist, and was told by dentists that I should have majored in business. I can see that though since there is a huge business aspect to dentistry, but I don't see it for being a cop.

·
Registered
5,531 Posts
Business degree - fraud investigations, computer crimes, white collar crimes, embezzlement, organized crime, etc.

Science degree - homicide investigations, traffic investigations, ballistics, terrorism.

Remember - the JOB only lasts 20 years. Afterwards a degree in some field can be used as a jump start for a second career.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Business degree - fraud investigations, computer crimes, white collar crimes, embezzlement, organized crime, etc.

Science degree - homicide investigations, traffic investigations, ballistics, terrorism.

Remember - the JOB only lasts 20 years. Afterwards a degree in some field can be used as a jump start for a second career.
Gotcha! Great advice. Do most police departments help pay for schooling too if she works there? So she could work and go to school to get a second degree?

·
Super Moderator
18,797 Posts
Gotcha! Great advice. Do most police departments help pay for schooling too if she works there? So she could work and go to school to get a second degree?
Tuition assistance or reimbursement has been a traditional perk. It's one that seems to be getting cut in the current climate.

The money won't be the real stumbling block to a degree. The time will be.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
My department will only pay for a higher degree. If she has a BS already, then they won't pay for a second BS, only a MS/MA or higher.

I'd second learning Spanish, especially in Florida.

Also, her being female would put her higher on the list, even if she isn't a minority female. I'd also say, get a different major than CJ. If she's almost done, then finish it and get a masters in something else. Start the masters as soon after the police academy as possible. It's very hard to start studying again after several years away from it. And for the masters, pick a different field to get the degree in.

What is a FWC?

Other than the above, study hard, get good grades and keep your nose clean.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Regarding a degree, it really doesn't matter what the major is as long as she has the piece of paper. The mindset regarding this is a formal education such as a BA/BS, teaches one critical thinking skills and problem solving skills. These are vital to officers in the field and especially those involved with FWC as supervision and assistance are not always just around the corner.

One who has a BA/BS brings these skills to the table and should be able to utilize these skills in whatever complex problems come up. The policy and procedure books agencies use can only cover so many situations and scenarios. The rest is up to the individual officer. Again these are where the skills learned in college, not necessarily a cj program, are vital.

I did 8 years as the agency background investigator, hiring for law enforcement, corrections and civilian personnel from 2000-2008. Unfortunately for her, most agencies aren't that concerned with checking the "female" box on the demographic data as they with the other boxes related to race. Tell her to search her family history and turn up someone who was Native American.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My department will only pay for a higher degree. If she has a BS already, then they won't pay for a second BS, only a MS/MA or higher.

I'd second learning Spanish, especially in Florida.

Also, her being female would put her higher on the list, even if she isn't a minority female. I'd also say, get a different major than CJ. If she's almost done, then finish it and get a masters in something else. Start the masters as soon after the police academy as possible. It's very hard to start studying again after several years away from it. And for the masters, pick a different field to get the degree in.

What is a FWC?

Other than the above, study hard, get good grades and keep your nose clean.

Thanks for the good advice! I'll be sure to tell her and encourage her to do it. I know she will, she's a very hard worker and is very motivated to pursue her goals. So is there anything she can do to better her chances for getting hired after the academy?

FWC is florida fish and wildlife. You have to have cop or military experience to get into it they told her.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Regarding a degree, it really doesn't matter what the major is as long as she has the piece of paper. The mindset regarding this is a formal education such as a BA/BS, teaches one critical thinking skills and problem solving skills. These are vital to officers in the field and especially those involved with FWC as supervision and assistance are not always just around the corner.

One who has a BA/BS brings these skills to the table and should be able to utilize these skills in whatever complex problems come up. The policy and procedure books agencies use can only cover so many situations and scenarios. The rest is up to the individual officer. Again these are where the skills learned in college, not necessarily a cj program, are vital.

I did 8 years as the agency background investigator, hiring for law enforcement, corrections and civilian personnel from 2000-2008. Unfortunately for her, most agencies aren't that concerned with checking the "female" box on the demographic data as they with the other boxes related to race. Tell her to search her family history and turn up someone who was Native American.
Yep, sucks it is that way (talking about the race part to get hired, scholarships, etc). She is Cherokee Indian, and on both sides of her family too! Is that a big plus?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Yep, sucks it is that way (talking about the race part to get hired, scholarships, etc). She is Cherokee Indian, and on both sides of her family too! Is that a big plus?
Yes does definitely set her apart from all the other females. It could really help with FWC and the various state agencies that deal with Native American sites and such. It will always look good for those agencies to increase the rolls with folks who can check the Native American box.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes does definitely set her apart from all the other females. It could really help with FWC and the various state agencies that deal with Native American sites and such. It will always look good for those agencies to increase the rolls with folks who can check the Native American box.
Great to hear. She has been checking just the white box on everything her whole life. Does that matter if she changes now?

·
Registered
109 Posts
It shouldn't matter. If she is asked about it, she can state that she wasn't aware that all her Cherokee allowed for her to check that box.

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
LEARN SPANISH!!!

A criminal justice degree up here in Ohio is practically worthless.

Major in something that can help her in her career and after.

She's not going to be doing this job forever.

Not sure how it is down there, but here it is 25 years and age 48 and I can retire. I think it just changed this year, but I'm locked in. I can retire when I turn 49, but I might work a little longer. I have a Bachelor's degree in Physics with minors in mathematics and information science. Don't ask. I stumbled into police work and haven't left.

I can probably use that after I retire and right now it makes it look good since I'm on the crash invest team.

Every department is different in what they offer. A lot up here stopped offering tuition reimbursement or some offer it but you have to work so many years or you end up having to pay them for it.

Fitness wise, cardio, cardio, cardio, then some strength training. Most fights don't last long, but it does tire one quick. Whatever the physical is to pass her academy, she should be able to do it and do it well below the max time allowed/more than what they ask, etc.

Don't prepare for it when it's coming up, be ready for it before you even start. I've seen people fail the physical after spending months in the academy. It's sad.

and one final piece of advice. her schedule will suck! be patient with her. sometimes we bring work home and that's not good, but understand we need to vent sometimes.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts