close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Need advice- debating refinishing my glock never done this before

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by matt sanborn, Feb 10, 2005.

1. matt sanborn

matt sanborn

So my old G17 needs its slide refinished and I also want to finish some magwells and small parts.

would this duracoat starter kit on midway be a good choice?

I am seeing you need to blast it? Excuse my ignorance but is this something the home hobbist should undertake? Do I need to get blasting stuff as well as this?

http://www.midwayusa.com/rewriteaproduct/711180

thoughts? Any help is appreciated. I wanted a project but if it is too hard I will just send it off to get done.

thanks!

2. Rob72

Rob72

Don't know if I answered your post on a different thread, but...
    Unless you have extremely polished, glossy, spots on your slide, you do not need to blast. Duracoat is good; my personal favorite is Brownells spray-n-bake Teflon. Detail strip your slide and put it in your oven on 175 or so for 30 minutes. This will deform the firing pin channel liner, and you can remove it with needle nose pliers or a Swiss Army knife cork-screw. Let it cool, and thoroughly degrease with TCE (B-12 Chem tool is great),wipe off and allow to warm to room temp. Then you'll follow the directions on the spray of your choice.

Oh, yeah. You'll need to buy a replacement FP channel liner, they're about $2. Simple push-in replacement.

The factory finish is park over Tenifer, and is porus enough to take a properly applied spray coating.

Tape off the slide rail inserts and inside of your frame, and blast the frame with playground sand, and it will look factory new. Or leave it alone, if it dosen't show holster wear.

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/st...=1145&title=TEFLON/MOLY+OVEN+CURE,+GUN+FINISH

3. matt sanborn

matt sanborn

Thank you for the information...that was really helpful. Sounds like it is something I might try. It would be easier just to send it somewhere but projects are fun.

This might be a dumb question but can someone tell me if I were just to send my slide in somewhere, and it was just the slide...would I need to do all that ship back and forth via FFL?

4. Rob72

Rob72

Accurate Plating & Weaponry are down in FL, Ford's Guns did my P7's, Tripp Research also does HC. For the slide/barrel only, no FFL is reqired on either end, and you don't have to ship any special way (since it's not a complete s/n#'d gun). If you have a shop in your area that does powder coating/Teflon for industrial or automotive parts, they will usually do you up for $20-30. I've had Airborn Coatings in OKC do some parts for me. Overall, excellent work!:)