close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Need Advice - AR-15 Cleaning Supplies

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by PA1911, Mar 27, 2010.

1. PA1911

PA1911

Hey Folks,

I just ordered my first AR and it is also my first rifle. What do I need to get to clean and lube it?

Im looking for your help on specific items/brands. I seen the Otis cable systems, are they better than a rod? what kind of rod? Chamber brushes? Solvents/lubes?

Im lost on rifle cleaning equipment, need some help.

What do you use?

Thanks

2. WayaX

WayaX Lifetime Member

I cleaned my first AR today (so take this information for what it is). It really wasn't different from any other semi-automatic I've cleaned. Actually, it was easier than my Sig 556. I pulled out the BCG and charging handle. I sprayed the Bolt carrier and bolt carrier group down with CLP and wiped it down. It came clean pretty easily. I took a toothbrush with CLP on it and scrubbed out the dirty places around the chamber and upper receiver and wiped that down. I ran CLP down the barrel followed by my boresnake 3 times. On the last time I added a very small amount of oil to the end of the boresnake to leave it on the inside of the barrel. After that I just lubed what needed to be lubed and put it back together.

I think it helped that when I shot it today that it was wet with oil. When I went to clean it, everything just wiped right off (I'm sure this is also partly due to the chrome).

There are a lot of youtube videos on how to clean the AR, there is also a post in the GATE AR15 forum here.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2010

3. Kegel

Kegel

You don't have to clean an AR but maybe every 3-5000 rounds. They solved all the isses they had in Vietnam a long time ago. After your 3rd to 5th case of 5.56 just pour a can of WD30 (I prefer Mobile 1 Synthetic through the barrel (letting it drain out the chamber) and you're good to go for another 3-5 cases.

4. WayaX

WayaX Lifetime Member

I guess I didn't really answer your question - what do you need?

I prefer a boresnake to a rod system simply for ease of use. However, you should have a rod with a brass brush to clean it if it gets excessively copper fouled. You'll also need a slotted head for patches. A barrel shouldn't be left with any visible oil on the inside, but it shouldn't be bone dry either. To clean action, a toothbrush and old t-shirt (cut up) will do. As far as cleaners go, I have yet to have any firearm need Hoppes number 9 solvent to come clean. This is probably because I clean them after every range trip and haven't fired more than 500 rounds in any one trip (I hope to change that soon). I keep a bottle on hand just in case, though. For easy cleanings, I prefer Breakfree CLP. It's similar to WD-40, but I find it doesn't evaporate as fast. For lube, I use lithium grease (use only a very light coat). You can buy it at wal-mart in the automotive section. I've found that Rem-Oil works if you can get it to stay in the gun. It tends to just run out of everything I've tried using it for.

Also, nitrile gloves. Gun cleaners and oils are toxic. If you use them all the time you can develop allergies, or even nerve damage. Always wear gloves when cleaning your gun and use solvents in a well ventilated area.

Keep in mind, most of this advice comes from experience with other rifles, but so far, it's worked on my AR. I just started using the grease because of the AR. I don't use it on any other gun I own. The reason is the AR runs hotter because of the DI system. This allows the grease to do its job. For my pistols and piston rifles, I use CLP and oil.

In brief, this is my portable cleaning it:

Boresnakes
    Breakfree CLP
    3 Rags (old t-shirts)
    A childrens toothbrush
    A small container filled with lithium grease
    gloves

Last edited: Mar 27, 2010
  5. MrMurphy

MrMurphy ********* Moderator Lifetime Member Millennium Member

CLP/Breakfree is the old standby. SLIP 2000 works better for lube.

T-shirt. Toothbrush.

Pull through, though having a rod is handy.

Not much else. I've been cleaning the AR platform since '92 or so, and most people overdo it.

6. demusn79

demusn79

Do just about anything except this.

7. why

why

Your weapon is a machine, and rubbing metal parts require lubricant for proper function. Go to the Armalite site and read their tech notes on cleaning. It is applicable to all rifles.

8. rezin777

rezin777

It varies. Pick a cleaner. Clean it until rags, patches, q-tips are clean. Pick a lube. Find places where the metal rubs together and apply lube. Wipe off excessive lube.

With some guns, such as the AR, there are places you can't get with a rag, patch, q-tip. Soak these with your favorite cleaner and then blow them out with compressed air, if you have that option. If not, just do the best you can with the rags, patches, q-tips.

Don't jam cleaning rods down the barrel with brute force. They should slide without resistance. A brass brush will take out deposits that a bore snake won't.

It's not rocket science and if you care about your rifle you will do just fine.

9. Constructor

Constructor

Do not leave oil especially thick oil in the barrel it can cause high pressure issues when fired next and it can collect dust which compounds the pressure issue.
    Run a patch with oil down the barrel but then run a clean patch through to remove the excess.

ETA-the foaming cleaners require less brushing and less chance to damage the barrel from grit on the cleaning rod rubbing the lands. Always clean from the breech try not to drag a gritty brush or patch back in the crown, after a while the grit will round off the crown and accuracy will degrade.
    As far as the OPs question, a 1 piece coated rod and wipe it after every pass.
    Wipeout or Gunslick or KG foaming cleaner then Mobil 1 oil for the BCG, hammer and trigger pins, avoid thick sticky oils that will collect grit. JMO

Last edited: Mar 28, 2010
  10. vettely

vettely

Go to Walmart.
    pickup the .22 bore snake, some CLP, and the nice wood box cleaning kit they have. (for starters)