Need a way to schedule appointments thru a website

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Drjones, Feb 12, 2010.

1. Drjones

Drjones

Hey guys, I'm helping a friend who owns a hair salon to bring him into the 21st century and he could really use a system where clients would book appointments through his website - what's the best way to accomplish this? Are there programs we can download & plugin or what?

Thanks!!

2. jtm62

jtm62 CLM

You could set up a simple database to handle this. It is a really easy process, even for someone new to this type of stuff.

You would need a form that interfaced with the database to pull available times. And that same form would input the user choices back into the database. From there you could have it email the time to the requester and owner or even text the information.

If you want to know more feel free to PM me, I'll provide as much assistance as I possibly can (I have a lot of code like this written already).

3. StuntPilot

StuntPilot

4. Drjones

Drjones

Email sent!

5. Drjones

Drjones

Any idea at all of the costs involved with that system?

6. Sgt. Schultz

Sgt. Schultz Annoying Member

What about Google calendar? Users can share it and allow friends to edit it ...

7. Drjones

Drjones

Yeah, not a bad idea, but I think he'd want something more professional-looking; something integrated into his site.

I took a quick look at my Google Cal and I guess we could embed it in his site, but can we make it so that people can only add events and not edit other peoples?

Also, how would he get notified that someone added something to the Google Calendar?

8. StuntPilot

StuntPilot

Shoot them an email. The founder of the company wrote some of the first code, and likes to help small businesses.

9. Sgt. Schultz

Sgt. Schultz Annoying Member

I can't answer your questions but I have a friend that uses it, I'll ask him.

10. jtm62

jtm62 CLM

For anyone following this thread or interested in an outcome, I have been working with DrJones for about 10 days. I am putting together a mock up database for the the business at this time.

You can view it here: http://jtmccauleyonline.com/jtmccauleyonline/HairPlace/make_appt.php

I know... it isn't very pretty, but function takes place of form in the beginning of a model. Those that have done this know that style is simple where logic is something that takes a lot of time to develop.

For those interested I am using a MySQL backend database. The main page is built in PHP, and EVERYTHING else is called via DOM/XML/external PHP.

Thanks,

Josh

11. jtm62

jtm62 CLM