close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Need a suggestion for digital photo editing software

Discussion in 'Through-the-Lens Club' started by jmg, Mar 26, 2007.

1. jmg

jmg UCantFixStupid

Hey, all. Can you guys/gals suggest a user friendly, cheap (< $100) comprehensive photo editing program? Am new to digital editing. Also, is there a program that converts digital images to something like an 'infrared' image, like the 35mm infrared type/style?

thanks!

2. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

3. ponykilr

ponykilr Off The Porch

Elements is great for the money, Nikon Capture NX is a little over your budget, but if you want to shoot RAW it is a great program. Infrared "look" can be created in most any editor, there are various tutorials on the net. Tweeking after the shot is the best way to give your images that special look you are after, get your exposure right and then change the "look" to your style(I recently started shooting RAW and it is very easy to tweek compared to a jpg and it is lossless)

4. Blitzer

Blitzer Cool Cat

Photoshop Elements System requirements (Windows® only)

* Intel® Pentium® 4 or Intel Celeron® (or compatible) 1.3GHz processor (dual-core processors and those with Hyper-Threading Technology supported)
    * Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional, Home Edition, or Media Center Edition with Service Pack 2
    * 256MB of RAM (512MB recommended)
    * 1.5GB of available hard-disk space
    * Color monitor with 16-bit color video card
    * 1,024x768 monitor resolution at 96dpi or less
    * Microsoft DirectX 9 compatible display driver
    * CD-ROM drive

Photoshop Elements free 30 day trial offer :thumbsup: :supergrin: ;) :banana:

That being said I once called Adobe about outdated versions of their Photoshop software. At the time is was considered freeware and one could acquire it anyway they could and use it without support or upgrades of course. Manuals could be purchased if desired. I still use Photoshop v5. I use what is available when traveling and my Laptop isn't at hand.

Corel Draw, Adobe Photo Deluxe, IrfanView, MS Photo editor, MS Paint and other low end software packages can all work in a pinch.

:supergrin: :thumbsup: ;)

Just downloaded and installed IrfanView 4.0.Nice and the view and capture video feature works great, my new avatar proves it!

[​IMG]

5. sjfrellc

sjfrellc CLM

For simple non-comprehensive photo editing and photo organization I would start using Picasa. It's fantastic at what it does and comes at a great price. You can tune photos, use one click contrast/color fix, create collages,upload to Picasaweb (free webspace)so others can view, create your own blog for free, and print easily.

6. Blitzer

Blitzer Cool Cat

It looks good! I just downloaded it, time to play. With all it's features it is timely I get it now. I need to burn some DVDs to send to DAVE school as part of my application portfolio!

:thumbsup: :supergrin: :banana: ;) :) :hearts:

7. sjfrellc

sjfrellc CLM

Blitzer,
    Did you try the gift CD feature yet? Anyone can pop your cd into their computer and play a slide show.

8. Chuk

Chuk

9. nipperwolf

nipperwolf

10. Litespeed_67

Litespeed_67 LnL operator

I've always liked Ulead Photo Impact. Not as mainstream as Photoshop but it can do nearly as much (it doesn't have as many plug-ins availalbe). It's usually bundled with stuff or if bought separately is under 100. They have demo versions available.

11. nipperwolf

nipperwolf

here's something I just did with Elements 4. I got this pic of a rider who wanted me to get some shots of him at the races over the weekend. while I like this pic, the other rider is a big distraction

[​IMG]

it only took a few minutes using the 'clone stamp' tool to fix it

[​IMG]

it's not a tool that I use a lot, but it does come in handy. ;)

12. 10mm4ME!

10mm4ME! Bureaucrat

Your pretty good with the clone stamp tool. I have tried it with smaller objects and it takes some skill to do right (more than I have atm).

13. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

nipperwolf, you might want to get rid of the clone tool landmarks (circled). See the source of landmarks underlined in corresponding colors. Repeated patterns of landmarks like that provides visual clues as to what happened. Hiding them should make it almost impossible to figure out there was something else there before post-processing.

There are also a couple of shadowed sand structures along the lower right edge, but they are less obvious.

[​IMG]