close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Need a recommendation on a new reasonably priced AK

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Mr981, Dec 1, 2012.

1. Mr981

Mr981

A good friend is looking for a reasonably priced semi-auto rifle--can't decide between the AR platform and an AK.
    Since I have both and know this will be just a house defense gun--as opposed to precision shooting device--I'm trying to push him in the direction of a AK in 7.62.

I called a couple AK rebuilders I know, but the parts guns which used to be the raw materials for them have pretty much dried up along with that portion of their business.

So, the question is can anyone recommend a new AK in the $500-700 range that doesn't require rework to get things straight? I know Arsenal makes a good rifle but that runs in the $900 price range.
    Thanks for any help in advance.

2. Restless28

Restless28

Saiga. Convert it.

3. NH Trucker

NH Trucker Needs coffee...

I bought an older M70 Yugo from my step father a couple years ago. I only have several hundred rounds through it at the moment, but it's been reliable so far. I have no idea what the round count was before I bought it. Newer ones are getting quite a bit of money right now, but if you look around you can probably find a good deal.

Or he can go this route. They don't cost much, the parts for the conversion run a couple hundred, and it's really easy to do.