close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Need a program for a total newbie, 54 yrs old - how to use a computer... tutorials??

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by pangris, Feb 1, 2005.

1. pangris

pangris Moderator

My dad had never used computers at the ripe old age of 54. He must learn as he is driving everyone crazy at work. Can't send e-mails, can't type, can't burn stuff to a disc, etc etc etc.

We're about to lynch him.

I saw a program a few years back where it was a "learn to use a computer" tutorial where you put the CD in and it taught you the basics - what a mouse was, how to save, etc.

I need something like this for him before I beat him with my laptop. Suggestions?

Paul

2. Nyper

Nyper

I just googled and found this link:
    http://www.seniorlink.com.au/

I have NO CLUE whether it is any good or not, so I'm not recommending it. Just passing on the link. :)

3. David_G17

David_G17 /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

4. JCM298

JCM298

pangris,

Go easy on the "old man". Always remember that old age and treachery will overcome youth and in-experience. I'm older than your father but six years ago I didn't even know how to turn on on of these "devil's devices". I still can't type, even though I took a typing course at a local college. I had to learn computor basics but I was lucky in that I had a good instructor, who had a lot of patience.

See if there is a community college, high school, learning center, etc. and get him to take a course. Set him up at a home computer and let him play. Find a kid that is willing to tutor him. There are some senior centers that teach "old farts".

I used to bug my grand-kids with questions. I don't know how many times I've called them asking how to do something. After they stopped laughing because grand-pa was so dumb, they'd help and I learned a lot from them.

Show him how to get to this site and let him read the various posts. I come here daily and have learned a lot and never been ridiculed for asking dumb questions.

John

5. alex954

alex954

go to barnes & noble and for 15.99 pick up a copy of PC for dummies

6. grokdesigns

grokdesigns

I agree with the community college idea. Most of them offer a very basic introduction to computers (around here it's CIS105) and I think that would be very helpful. Another good site for him to ask advice on is broadbandreports.com.