Need a new summer IWB Pistol...Kahr?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by zackwatt, Apr 7, 2012.

1. zackwatt

zackwatt That's a Bingo! Lifetime Member

Well it's that time of the year again....

I currently a Glock 27 and a S&W 442. I find the overall width of each a bit too much for IWB. So, I gotta go single stack!

I am thinking about the Kahr MK40, I would prefer .40 but I am also open to 9mm. Heck, I was even thinking about getting another HK P7 for this use. :supergrin:

Recommendations? (holsters too)

2. Caladan

Caladan

The Kahr MK's are a great little pistol with an excellent trigger, but they are very heavy. The slight gain (loss, really) in thickness you would get with an MK40/9 will be greatly offset by it's heavy weight and decreased magazine capacity when you compare it to the Glock you already have.

The HK P7's are indeed single-stack, and their slides are fairly thin. However, the grip is about as thick as your Glock, so again you would not gain anything over the G27 you already have. They are however an excellent handgun. I would not use mine for a ccw as it is too much weight/bulk for it's capacity.

If you are going to get something to replace the already excellent handguns you already have,, then I would say go with something that is substantially different. A much thinner handgun such as a Walther PPS (which is still as long, and taller than your G27), or Kahr CM, or Beretta Nano, or Sig P290 would all be great choices for a summertime carry (don't know if all these come in .40, as I do not use that caliber).

3. GlockFish

GlockFish Floyd

I have an MK9, and it is heavy for it's size. But it is still an excellent IWB pistol that disappears in the right holster. I carry mine in a Crossbreed Supertuck.

4. Caver 60

Caver 60

Got an MK9, PM9 with night sights, PM40 with night sights. The MK is absolutely great except for the weight. The PM9 and 40 are very comparable.

My only complaint about the forty is it beats the heck out of the underside of my trigger finger during practice. I'm sure I wouldn't notice that if I ever really needed it. Also it is a little more difficult to get back on target quickly during rapid fire.

Other wise all are good pistols IMO.

5. TN.Frank

TN.Frank "Don't Tread On Me!"

Get a set of DeSantis Clip grips for the 442, that way you can carry IWB without the need for a holster and it really cuts down on the width of the overall package. I run them on my 642 and they're great.

6. mj9mm

mj9mm

i carry the cm9 iwb, easy to forget i have it, i was thinking about pocket carry but that would most likely have to be a thinner 380, not crazy about that. maybe you should try to find a differant iwb holster that fits better for summer:wavey:

7. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

The Kahr isn't smaller than the 442, in my opinion.

My 642 carries easier, conceals better than, my PM9 as far as IWB.

The PM9 is easier to shoot more accurately, of course, for most mere mortals :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 7, 2012
  8. CharlestonG26

CharlestonG26

The MK40 might be a little bit heavy...but it a fine shooting pistol.

9. Deployment Solu

Deployment Solu Kydex Crafter

I am running a CW45 with two spare mags for extreme summer carry.

10. Sharkey

Sharkey

Carried my P9 today. Great summertime carry gun. Carried. in FIST kydex IWB appendix position.

11. mingaa

mingaa

I love my Glocks but carry a Kahr CW9 most of the time. I find the Hume IWB comfortable for long carry andthe leather has stayed stiff and well shaped for over two years. IWB is pretty much a must in my line of work. The deeper the better. I ran through 5 compacts to get to this setup - works for me BUT extra mags are a must.

12. Shock & Awe

Shock & Awe

What about the new Springfield XDS? Should be coming out any time and suppose to make one in a 9mm and .40.

I'm looking at the .45 myself.

13. Mr.357Sig

Mr.357Sig

The Springfield XDs in .45 ACP looks awesome. It's on my short list of top summer carry guns along with the Sig P938.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

14. DeadEye637

DeadEye637

I'm not a fan of the 9mm... but for summer, I carry a PM9. I will not carry a 380 or 22 anymore.

15. Big Bird

Big Bird NRA Life Member

Walther PPS, I carry mine IWB with a Comptac MTAC and couldn't be happier. I own a Kahr P40 now and have owned a PM 9 and others. If I were carrying IWB I would not opt for the smaller guns. No reason to really. The P series from Kahr only weighs a little more and length of barrel and grip is better for shooting. You can conceal a P9 easily as well as a MK9 in an IWB holster. But I like the Walther PPS better still. Thinner and the trigger is more Glocklike than the Kahr. My PPS came with a crappy rough trigger out of the box and most everyone I've tried in the gunshop were the same. But I promise, give it a few hundred rounds and it will smooth out and lighten up and now mine is a good as any of my Glock triggers.

16. buckshotshorty

buckshotshorty

+1 on what BigBird said. The PPS is a really fine firearm, and here in Florida where my year 'round dress is shorts and a Tee, the PPS is very easy to carry & conceal in my IWB holster all year around.

This is my PPS and a holster I made for it:

[​IMG]

17. zackwatt

zackwatt That's a Bingo! Lifetime Member

I'll have to look into the PPS, but I am still leaning toward a Kahr. :)

18. EL COLONEL

EL COLONEL

Khar cm 40 , when it comes out which should be anytime now..

19. mtnglide

mtnglide

I carry a Kahr P45 which conceals very well and gives me 6+1 in .45 acp.

20. mingaa

mingaa