close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Need a new shotgun

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by Historian, Jan 30, 2003.

1. Historian

Historian NRA Benefactor Lifetime Member

Howdy,

Everyone needs a good bird gun. Mine is not. Therefore it’s time for a change. What I would like is a side by side. I’m looking for something under $1400 or so. Anyone have a suggestion?

I’d also enjoy recommendations for an over under.

2. paulito

paulito

hey there,
    i own an awesome over/under. Baikal, made by the EAA (European American Aromory) is producing some awesome shotguns right now. i think the factory where they're made is in russia somewhere. anyway, i own the IZH-27. <http://www.the-armory.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/page13.html> and <http://www.colonialarms.com/ct13.html> you should check them out. i know you cold probably buy three or four on your budget. but if you're looking to spend 1400 you might want to check out the ruger red label. i REALLY like their over/under stainless gun. it's a bit heavier, but you don't ever have to worry about that gun rusting on you. >http://www.ruger-firearms.com/sgred.html> good luck in whatever you decide. don't forget to post a picture of it!:)

paulito

3. jeffs430

jeffs430 Uno más martini

$1400 will buy you a very good O/U field gun. The B guns (Beretta and Browning) will be best for resale. For SxS I'd recommend a Browning BSS and then a SKB 385.

My experience with the EAAs have been okay but they have been known for the trigger group not to cycle to the second barrel so you may miss the 2nd chance on a bird.

4. Seaworm

Seaworm

Historian,

I agree with Jeff. $1400 will get you an extremely nice, yet practical, field O/U. Try looking at the Citori (Browning). Depending on what your shooting (dove, quail, duck) a 28 gauge would be a nice purchase. Check out Jaqua's in Ohio http://www.jaquas.com The have an extensive gun list.

Good luck and be safe!

5. Historian

Yeah! I got a Beretta catalog and have been drawling over a few of them the whitewing and it’s darker counterpart. They look like just the ticket! But are it and the Browning’s really worth that much? What should I be getting for these lovely weapons. Are the Rugar reds really all that good?

What about a side by side? I’m not afraid to order something that’s no longer in production but still a classic fine shotgun.

Excluding Parkers. I don’t think I can go that far. ;f Thanks for the responces...I think this next season is going to be my best Dove/Duck season in the last few years. It looks like I'll have a little more time.

6. jeffs430

jeffs430 Uno más martini

I've got a 20ga Whitewing that has worked well for me but I'd like to upgrade it to 12ga. Its a small frame gun and I'm a large framed guy. The quality is fine. The "engraving" is actually coined in. This model is very light and easily toted around the field.

7. Michigun

Michigun Miss Michigan?

8. Craigster

Craigster

Ithaca side by sides are very nice guns. The older ones built in N.Y. can get a little spendy but those built by SKB Japan are very nice and not a lot of money. For many years Ive carried a 20ga Ithaca SKB SBS for pheasant over my Britts and love it. The friends I hunt with and I have always enjoyed the more traditional SBSs. A Parker or LC Smith is on the want list but I think a Winchester 21 will be my next step up.

Stick with the side by side and for $1400.00 you should end up with a nice classic.

Let me know what you get

9. Historian

Wow! The Winchester model 21 looks like just the ticket! Sure looks like a great choice for all around bird hunting. This is exactly what I'm looking for.

There's only one problem. I can't seem to find a price for one under $4,000...what should the base price for such a lovely weapon be?

10. Ljunatic

Ljunatic On The Fringe

The Winchester Model 23 was not as nice as the 21, but the price would be more in your range

11. Craigster

Craigster

I agree. Didn’t mean to get you revved up about a Win 21 the only reason for mentioning it was because someday that’s one of a few I would like to work up to. The Win 23 is a very nice piece and more inline with your budget.

23rd edition Blue Book Values
    Win 23XTR in 60%=$650.00 100%=$1650.00 Other grades go much higher.

AH Fox is also a very nice classic SxS. The Fox Sterlingworth is within your budget, depending on grade condition. BB Values range $375.00 to $2000.00. I would own one if it was nice and it fit.

Again, if you can find one, Ithaca is a high quality SxS for the money. Some of the older ones are very collectable and prices can be over the top but the more recent can be found within your budget.

Most important……..As you know what ever you buy must fit. IM a large person and when trying on older 20ga’s they were all too small, fit like a toy. My Rooster huntin buddy for 25 years owns an old gun store in Lewiston Idaho and he knows his stuff when it comes to fine shot guns (but can you believe he thinks short hairs are better Bird Dogs than Britts?). Anyway after four years looking we finally found one with a longer English stock rather than a Pistol type and I have been very happy. Fit, Fit, Fit.

Keep us posted
    Craig

12. Craigster

Craigster

PS. I thought I might relate this just as a side note.

For many years I carried my 12ga Browning Superposed over the dogs. It is longer (OAL) and much heavier than my 20, fits me and I shoot it very well. But even with long barrels on my 20, it took quite allot of practice to slow my “swing” down. You didn’t say what you have been using but barrel length/balance is also something important to consider. I prefer the longer for forward weight and balance.

13. Historian

Craigster,

Those model 21s look like what a side by side should look like…long and slender. The gun just wants to go for a long lazy walk while thrown over your shoulder. Much nicer than the old beat up Mosburg Maverick series I’ve used for close to five years (it may stay as a “bad weather” gun for duck season).

The last couple of days have been very interesting as part of the information you guys have given me has gone on to shed light on other options. The Ithaca’s look great, there’s an AH Fox in my range not too far away, and then the Browning BSS series looks like a tank of a weapon.

There are just so many shotguns…I fear it may end up being a situation were I find then 12 gauge and then save for a nice 20 as a companion. As one person recently said it, shotguns like these are historic in nature, they don’t make’em like this much anymore.

14. Craigster

Craigster

Hey Historian,

I waited a long time for my Browning even longer for the one I carry now, when IM ready for my 21 it will take even longer than that. Your friend is right they closed the factory on classic SxS’s and you can’t order them, but with patients the one you want will fall in your lap (if you haven’t spent the money first).

Use what ya got until you find what ya want, the roosters wont know the difference.

Good luck and stick with the 20g.

15. jeffs430

jeffs430 Uno más martini

There are some small gun makers that are producing beautifully engraved SxS that are destined to be classics. Double triggers and english style stocks are the rule.

Connecticut Shotgun Mfg is reproducing the Model 21. Starts at $9500

Merkel has a very nice line of SxSs starting around $3500+.

Beretta has their Silverhawk and Giubileo.

And there is a whole slew of beautiful engraved SxS imported form Europe.

Double Gun and Shooting Sportsman are two periodicals that feature new and old "classic" field guns.

16. MrMunster

MrMunster

Historian--

Sorry to jump in late, but you should take a look at the Browning Citori.

If I (still) lived a little closer, you would be welcome to take mine for a test drive. Of course, you (and anyone else you want to bring) are welcome to come visit me any time you like.

FYI: JAX to Philly was on sale for $138 round trip if you want to take me up on the offer!

17. TJC

TJC "No Compromise" Millennium Member

While I agree with all the comments about the O/U's and would not trade any of mine, especially the Winchester 101 Pidgeon in 20 ga., take a look at the Fabarms S/S's. They are quality, look nice, shoot well, and come with I think 5 choke tubes. The Classic Lion II, I think that is it, is a nice gun. A bit more than you are looking to spend but not that much.
    The lower end one, don't know the model, is probably less than your $1400 budget.

In answer to the question, the Brownings are worth the money. The new ones may not be quite what the Superposed were, but are a quality O/U.

18. Richard Ogle

Richard Ogle

Take a look at the Verona O/U. I've shot probably 100,000 rds through Citori's and they are hard to beat, Beretta's are good too. Hang around a trap club or sporting club like I do and you can get some great deals on used Citori's etc. Good luck, have fun.

19. Hucklebarry

Hucklebarry Native

http://www.weatherby.com/shotguns/sbs_athena.shtml

I've never shot one, and know nothing of their quality or characteristics. But, it's in your price range.

I have a Remington 870SPT that is my "everything" shotgun. It doesn't meet the approval of shotgun snobs, but it knocks the birds down. Regardless of their species.