close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Need a New Desk Top

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by 9 and 10 mm Fan, Feb 19, 2006.

1. 9 and 10 mm Fan

9 and 10 mm Fan

It is finally time to replace my old Dell. I want to go with an AMD X2 chip this time. I have been looking around and have seen some interesting machines from Computer Builders Wharehouse. They also happen to have a shop about a mile from my house. Do any of you have experience with them/how was it? On the surface it seems a good deal with all known hardware going into the box. If there is anybody else you could recommend I would appreciate the advice.

Thank you

2. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

I'd recommend you buy the parts from the cheaper supplier, or online, and have a small local shop set the machine up for you.

That way you aren't giving anyone the incentive to steal from you via unneeded 'upgrades' or selling you junk for the cost of a good component.

And you get far better tech support from a smaller shop than you'll likely get from any chain store-type place that is like a Wal-Mart for computers (it seems like stupidest people get hired at those places while more knowledgeable folks go un- or underemployed. Talked to the guy/girl at the Sporting Goods counter about rifles lately? ;Q ;P ;Q )

Or, you could just buy the parts and spend an hour setting it up yourself...

Whichever you decide, good luck.

3. RaiderRodney

RaiderRodney Just Win Baby

I 2nd Fast's post. Check out newegg.com and zipzoomfly.com and build it yourself. You save money, get better warranties, and know EXACTLY what you have ;)

On the dual-core cpu...be sure to check out tomshardware.com and check those cpu charts. The San Diego 3700+ Athlon is very close to the mid-range X2's and is much cheaper.

4. 9 and 10 mm Fan

9 and 10 mm Fan

RaiderRodney and fastvfr,

Thank you for the advice. I will have to check out Newegg. If I decide I have the time, I could assemble it myself. I definitely want to know what really goes into this one. Past Gateway's and Dell's have been a big guess when trying to upgrade them.

5. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

I forgot to tell you the best part of eschewing those OEM nightmares--

The RAM, CPU, MOBO and most other parts will have far longer warranties on them than that available with an OEM PC.

Let's say you get a one-year (or six-month) warranty with your $500 Dell/Gateway/Sony/whatever...if anything goes wrong within that time they MIGHT try to help. Or not.

But with a REAL computer, you don't have to deal with a huge multinational corporation's faceless zombies, nor do you end up talking to a foreigner for tech support. You don't have to ship the tower back for 'repairs' since you can just pull the problem part and RMA it.

Leave the Gateways and E-Machines to the old ladies who just want to check their email and play online Bingo.