close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Need a good dry rub for pork shoulder/boston butt

Discussion in 'Food Forum' started by lwt210, Aug 17, 2004.

1. lwt210

lwt210

Got me another smoker on layaway at Walmart.....I know, if it is a sickness consider me a chronic case.....big offset smoker thing with plenty of space.

Anyway, I need a good dry rub for the pork.....something with some brown sugar, paprika, pepper, and other goodies thrown into the mix. Nothing store bought, want something that I can do from scratch.

And sauce recipes will be most appreciated as well.

I'm going to cook all weekend when I get the new one home and want some pork shoulder with some kick to it to go along with everything else I am going to fire up.

Thanks in advance.

2. noway

noway

Here's what I do;

get some mustard any old mustard but I love
    The British Elsenham, hard to find but it is good.

>Rub the sholuder/butt/ham

> In a small-medium bowl add the following ingredients

brown sugar
    cracked blk pepper
    garlic salt
    ground parika & cheyenne in smaller quanities

You need to adjust the seasons to your likenings (sp? ).
    Rub this coating over the pork cut and then let it set in the refrig for about 2-4 hours wrapped.

Run some oak/hickory and mesquite wood in 50/50 portions and smoke the meat until the inside temp is right a 170-180degs.

the mustards holds the seasoning to the meat and provides a crust along with the brown sugar and the seasonings provides a good overall taste to the pork. You might need to make bashing solution and nop the meat or flavor inject it.

3. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

is

Salt,Black Pepper,amd Paprika.

Thats all and it still tastes great.

4. Mild Bill

Mild Bill Millennium Member

5. Garweh

Garweh CLM

Rub:

3 Tbs. coarsley ground black pepper
    3 Tbs. packed dark brown sugar
    3 Tbs. paprika
    2 Tbs. coarse salt
    1 tsp cayenne

Rub pork butt with rub and refrigerate for 8-10 hours. Smoke the pork at 250 degrees for 6 hours. Remove pork from smoker, wrap pork in heavy duty aluminum foil and continue to cook for ~3 hours at 250 degrees-->this seals in the succulence.

Shred/pull the pork and mix in any juices collected in the foil. Add 2 cups good commercial BBQ sauce or use the following:

Chipotle BBQ Sauce

1 tablespoon canola oil
    2 cups diced yellow onion
    7 cloves garlic, minced
    1 cup ketchup
    1 cup chipotle red chili paste, recipe follows
    1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce
    1/2 cup strong coffee
    1/3 cup packed brown sugar
    1/4 cup cider vinegar
    1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
    1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
    2 teaspoons kosher salt

In a large, heavy saucepan heat the oil over medium heat and add the onion and garlic. Sauté until they begin to wilt. Add the ketchup and chili paste and sauté for 4 minutes. Add the entire remaining ingredients stir and let simmer for 30 to 40 minutes. As the sauce thickens, stir more often so it does not scorch. Remove the sauce from the heat and allow it to cool. Place the sauce in a blender and puree. Store in the refrigerator.

Red Chile Paste :
    4 ancho chiles, seeded and stems removed
    4 Mexican dried chiles, seeded and stems removed
    3 cups chicken stock
    1/2 white onion, diced
    3 cloves garlic, minced
    4 chipotle peppers, seeded and stems removed

Place the ancho and Mexican chiles in a large saucepan and cover them with the chicken stock. Add the onion and garlic. Bring the stock to a boil over high heat, reduce heat and allow to simmer for about 15 minutes or until the peppers have absorbed some liquid and have become soft. Put the pepper mixture, cooking liquid, and chipotle peppers into a blender. Blend on low speed, increasing to high speed as the puree combines.
    Yield: 3 cups

The pork will absorb the sauce. I serve this on rolls with cole slaw and a thin vinegary sauce (1 c. cider vinegar, 1/4 c. ketchup, 1/2 tbs. brown sugar, 1/2 tsp. salt, 1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper, 1/2 tbs. black pepper). VERY, VERY TASTY!

We cannot get good BBQ in upstate NY (except at the Dinosaur in Syracuse), so I have developed this recipe and it is GOOD!

6. GlockSpeed31

GlockSpeed31

Even though you are asking for a good dry rub for pork shoulder/boston butt. I use this rub for ribs or tenderloins or really any pork product. You may want to adjust it accordingly to the type of meat you are cooking. It is intended for cooking in an oven. It is a recipe from Alton Brown of FoodTv.

Dry Rub:
    8 tablespoons light brown sugar, tightly packed
    3 tablespoons kosher salt
    1 tablespoon chili powder
    1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
    1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    1/2 teaspoon jalapeno seasoning
    1/2 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning
    1/2 teaspoon rubbed thyme
    1/2 teaspoon onion powder

Braising Liquid:
    1 cup white wine
    2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
    2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
    1 tablespoon honey
    2 cloves garlic, chopped

Preheat oven to 250 degrees.
    In a bowl, combine all dry ingredients and mix well. Place each slab of baby back ribs on a piece of heavy-duty aluminum foil, shiny side down. Sprinkle each side generously with the dry rub. Pat the dry rub into the meat. Refrigerate the ribs for a minimum of 1 hour. In a microwavable container, combine all ingredients for the braising liquid. Microwave on high for 1 minute.

Place the ribs on a baking sheet. Open one end of the foil on each slab and pour half of the braising liquid into each foil packet. Tilt the baking sheet in order to equally distribute the braising liquid. Braise the ribs in the oven for 2 1/2 hours.

Transfer the braising liquid into a medium saucepot. Bring the liquid to a simmer and reduce by half or until of a thick syrup consistency. Brush the glaze onto the ribs. Place under the broiler just until the glaze caramelizes lightly. Slice each slab into 2 rib bone portions. Place the remaining hot glaze into a bowl and toss the rib portions in the glaze.

*This recipe makes several batches of dry rub. If more rub is needed, it can be extended by any amount, as long as the ratio of 8:3:1:1 remains the same.

Just a side note: these ribs are not your typical BBQ. It has a different taste, but good and tender. Slide off the bone tender.

Two things that I do differently is
    1) Remove all the "Silver Skin" from the backside of the ribs. I learned this from the main cooking instructor from Chili's restaurant when I worked there.

2) All the dry rub spices, I put in a blender to make a fine powder, seems to be able to get more consistant flavor that way.

Hope you enjoy this if you try it.
    GlockSpeed31

7. lwt210

lwt210

Outstanding! Thanks to all of ya.

And I have heard of taking off the membrane from ribs before cooking them. I have to get me a catfish skinner soon along with all of the other tools that I have on my list. I read/saw somewhere that tool works good for such a purpose.