Need a good dress belt

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by emt1581, Oct 31, 2010.

1. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

I generally wear through belts in 3-6 months and I'm tired of replacing them. I'd like something that isn't going to break apart or show a lot of wear from daily use. It needs to look like leather (black) with a silver/stainless type of buckle.

Any idea if anyone makes something that would work for me?

Thanks!

-Emt1581

2. awoodpd13

awoodpd13

3. nikerret

nikerret Mr. Awesome

What, if any, firearm are you carrying and with what holster?

4. matt c

matt c

Plenty of good double leather dress belts out there...I would suggest 1 1/4" ones. This size should fit through any belt loop and be better for supporting the holster than a 1" belt. Sometimes a 1 1/2" belt can be too thick for dress pants. Just google gun belts and you'll have tons of options to choose from. And you may just be able to find a good stiff belt at walmart or other stores even though they are not specifically "gun" belts.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2010
  5. djl240

djl240

Akers B21. Designed for carry, and nice enough for dress. I use mine for EDC. It's VERY stiff so it takes 6 or 8 months of EDC until it breaks in. I absolutely love mine! Perfect match with a MTAC. And for under $50, it's a heck of a deal.

http://www.copquest.com/24-0500.htm

6. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

:agree:

if you need 1 1/4, go w/ the B22.

7. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

My one rule for making belts last is to make sure it is made of a single thickness of leather - 2 layers stitched together is a recipe for a crappy belt. I get mine for $25-30 at Tractor Supply - plain, thick, single-layer black leather belt with plain silver buckle.

Reinforced carry belts are great for a good draw and I use them for competition, but they have a short life.

8. Bill Lumberg

Bill Lumberg

Not true when it comes to gunbelts. One piece or two piece gunbelts will last for years and years of daily use. Now, lookin for single-piece construction may hold true if you're looking at regular belts, but for gunbelts, quality is not determined by whether they are composite or no.

9. Blitzo

Blitzo

http://www.thebeltman.net/

I have used one for my everyday carry for 5 years and it still looks brand new. I have purchased a different styled one for use at the range. I would not consider using any other belts after wearing a beltman.

10. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

None. Where I'm working it would be illegal. I started this thread because belts are part of a carry setup and I have been wearing through wal-mart/dickies cheapo belts way to quickly. I figured it belts were good enough to handle daily carry use they could certainly handle being worn daily without a gun.

BTW, at my new job is the ONLY place I don't carry, and lucky for me there are guards at the door who do...which should give me enough time to get to my vehicle just in case.

EDIT: I just send Beltman an email. We'll see what he says. I've read great things about his belts before. I have a hard time believing leather won't wear but if it's true, I'm happy to pay $50-$100 for one!

-Emt1581

11. bluelineman

bluelineman Infidel كافر

You might consider horsehide if you go with the Beltman. I did & haven't looked back. He also sells additional buckles pretty cheap. I got two buckles with mine. That was probably 3 years ago & I haven't even opened the second one yet.

12. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

Is that tougher than bullhide?

To be honest, I used to have a belt made from elephant. I think my dad bought it overseas. Anyways, I wore through it in less than two years. Now I'm not sure how well it was made but the reason I said leather-looking is because I'm not sure how leather can hold up year after year with little or no maintenance and I figured there might be a synthetic out there that does a better job.

Thanks!

-Emt1581

13. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

14. Blitzo

Blitzo

All leather will wear out eventually. The oldest beltman I have is 5 years old, it is a 1.25" bullhide with a plastic stiffener. I have worn it pretty much everyday since I got it. I have pretty active routines and usually carry a full size gun, spare mags and a couple phones all on the belt. I am sure the plastic stiffener helps make the belt last longer. Also proper care of the belt will help keep it from wearing out . With all that being said I am sure this belt will out last me.

15. janice6

janice6

This is correct.
    Gunbelts are made to not stretch or "roll" because of stress on the belt. Mine (from The Beltman) is 7 years old and I wear it all the time. I did buy another because I wanted one in Brown also. Mine has not stretched over that time.

16. bluelineman

bluelineman Infidel كافر

Yes.

Another good read. Look at the paragraph right under the pics of the belts.

http://www.thebeltman.net/horse.htm

17. rd21

rd21 Rationalist

(not to hijack, but this could be of use to the OP as well)

Anyone in this thread wearing an Akers B-21:

Do you find that the 1.5 inch belt is actually a bit smaller, or did I just get a bad one?

I tried using it with the MTAC 1.5 inch c-clip, but it was too small and kept coming free.

I went ahead and shipped the clips back to exchange for standard, so hopefully that'll work with the B-21 a bit better.

18. swinokur

swinokur

I believe Highnoon makes single layer belts, I think they are called Rock Steady. Having said that I own 3 Beltman belts, 2 Bullhide in Black and Brown and 1 Horsehide Cordovan.

Horsehide is stiffer than Bullhide for someone who asked.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2010