close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Need a Fly Reel

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by Dan in Alaska, Jun 3, 2003.

1. Dan in Alaska

Dan in Alaska

I am anxious to try my hand (and arm) at fly fishing this year. I bought a rod (9-ft, 6wt, G. Loomis GL3), but I haven't decided on a reel yet.

I looked at the G. Loomis adventure series reels. At $100, they seem to be pretty decent. Many fly shops are steering me toward a Ross for $155 or Scientific Angler for $135. I don't like the drag adjustment on the SA, so I am thinking of a Ross or G. Loomis. Can anyone help me out?

Thanks.

2. Esox357

Esox357

Greetings, go with the lumis or ross, I would stray from the Scientific Angler. Qualities that you want in the reel are the type of drag system, I believe disc is standard and the ability to take up extra line. You will have to play large fish off the reel so the reel is an important part of the rod. If speciality fishing such as saltwater you will need a different reel. For basic fishing needs such as Northern Pike, trout, panfish, bass, ect. You should be fine with either of those reels. Be advised flyfishing is addictive. Esox357

3. Dan in Alaska

Dan in Alaska

Ross is discontinuing their Gunnison series reels this year to make room for the latest and greatest. I picked up a size 3 for just a few buck more than the cheaper Cimiron series. I haven't used it yet, but it looks like a winner.

4. thisaway

thisaway

A friend of mine has a Bauer LM2 on his Sage rod that is nice as can be. A little pricey (over $200) but very slick action.

5. flyboy5432H

flyboy5432H Pull.Mark.Bird.

there are a couple others out there to consider on top of the excellent companies others have already suggested:

Reddington: thier large and small arbor reels are very high quality with a good drag system, very smooth and lifetime warranty.

STH: the cassette feature was started by them where your line is stored on a plastic spool that can be easily interchanged while fishing. can carry several different types of lines and swap when needed. the reel itself is of great quality, good drag and the reel is coated with an almost impervious coating that prevents any rust or corrosion no matter how hard the reel is fished.

i've played with the adventure series and they also felt like a quality reel, especially for the money.

take the rod with you when you are shopping for a reel to get an idea of the balance and feel on the rod.

good luck in your search.