Need a decent "survivalist" forum...any recommendations?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by mixflip, Jan 12, 2010.

1. mixflip

mixflip

I was going to post some survivalist questions here in the GNG lounge but I think I would end up getting directed to a dedicated forum on the subject.

I am not a tin foil hat type person but I have thought about what I would do if all electricity goes out, all communications go out (cell phones satellites ect), no gas gets delivered, no food gets trucked in, no a/c or heat for the house, food in the fridge has gone bad, city water pumps stopped so no tap water or flushing toilets, ect ect. Your basic SHTF scenario.

I know I am not prepared and would like to start buying some basics little by little. I would like to formulate a family plan too. I think not having even a little preparation is foolish.

I just would like to know what to buy and what to not waste money on.

Thanks

2. USMCSergeant

USMCSergeant

3. PBCounty

PBCounty

Have you checked out our own resident survival forum? It's got some decent info. We've also got the best tin foil down there.

4. mikeflys1

mikeflys1 Pastafarian

5. stevelyn

stevelyn NRA Life Member

6. chineseboxer

chineseboxer

survivalblog.com

Just LOADED with info.

7. TheRogue

TheRogue

8. Spiffums

Spiffums I.C.P.

9. Marine8541

Marine8541 iseedeadpeople

There are some really good ones mentioned above and also look at:
    http://www.lds.net/forums/preparedness/

Unfortunately though I do post at GT S&P our forum is almost strictly for entertainment with too many John J Rambos, Walter Mitty's, and Red Dawn lovers.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2010
  10. Ghost361

Ghost361

www.thesurvivalpodcast.com has a pretty good forum. They also have a podcast with some pretty good info. Also check out frugal squirrels forum. It is just packed with info.

11. GAtkins

GAtkins CLM #58 CLM

12. Ronaldo

Ronaldo Ancient Member Millennium Member

13. Whiskey Six

Whiskey Six Marine 0369 Platinum Member

14. greatwun

greatwun Senior Member

15. DustyDawg48

DustyDawg48

16. mixflip

mixflip

LDS? = Latter Day Saints? Funny you mention LDS? Funny thing I learned just a few weeks ago about these guys. I am not for nor against anyone's religion btw. I am a true believer in... "you can believe what you want but dont force it on me" type guy.

I traded my old Mosin Nagant for a laptop to this guy on craigslist. When we met he jumped out of a 4x4 truck with his Maxpedition satchel "on him" that never left him. Being a paranoid/aware type person (a cop)...I thought it was interesting that he was sitting in his truck with his Maxpedition bag on? My first thought was he didnt trust anybody and he was probably carrying his CCW gun in there. No biggie since I had my off duty G26 too. An armed society is a polite society right? Super nice guy btw.

I gave him the old $89 Big5 special bolt action rifle and he gave me his old laptop (looked like it was used on construction sites but it worked)

Then he mentioned something about the Mosin being a decent budget survival gun and thats when I got educated on the LDS from this guy. Apparently they (or a section of them) are big time survivalist? End of the world preparers. He told me when SHTF Salt Lake City and other high elevation/mountain cities will be the go to places since they are easily defensible with lots of choke points. I am guessing like the Swiss and Afghanistan? No body wants to fight up in the mountains, especially in the winter.

He had mentioned some blogs and book authors. There was a side of me that thought... ok this guy is a tin hat wearing card member...but alot of the stuff he was saying made logical sense from an average persons point of view and he was a cool dude in general. I never knew the LDS were so SHTF prepared type folks? It made me wonder how many years have they been preparing for the SHTF scenario? Are these the folks buying up the dang ammo at gun shows in my area?

Anyway, it was just a funny thing I learned about the LDS. Religion aside, I bet they have some good ideas?

Last edited: Jan 12, 2010
  17. bocephus549

bocephus549 Bo Knows.......

18. dikaiosune05

dikaiosune05

Tagged...lots of good info here.

19. double07gt

double07gt

Yes they are/do. Both of my neighbors are LDS/Mormon and very nice people. Both families have a solid 1-yr supply of food/water stored on-site. That is a group of folks who definately take care of their own. No matter the situation they'd never go without food/shelter.....strong church following takes over in the event of problems. A lady at my office gave me a magazine regarding LDS stuff and it completely blew me away about how they prepare for the worst.

20. jame

jame I don't even know....what I'm doing here....