Need a Credit Card!

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Lichter21c, Jan 10, 2010.

1. Lichter21c

Lichter21c

Alright so heres the skinny,

I am a full time college student, I work two jobs, I am going to graduate college in about 4 months and I am in desperate need for a credit card because I have absolutely NO credit.

I have applied for about 15 credit cards so far, I did all the norms (visa,mastercard,AMX...etc) and all of the other ones like such as target.

I cannot get anyone to give me a card...have any of you have any advice what so ever? I have no idea what to do. The reason their are giving me for rejecting me is that I have no credit.

any help what so ever is G-R-E-A-T-L-Y appreciated.

Thanks, 21c

2. TuxthePenguin

TuxthePenguin

Do you have a job? I got my first one through a credit union.

3. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

The last thing you need is a credit card. Credit is way over rated. If you're not in bed w/ them now, thats a relationship I would never, EVER start.

IGF

4. trifecta

trifecta

I think my first was a gas card. Might try that. Avoid debt. We all know better and yet so many fall into it. If you can't afford something today, it is stupid to think you can afford it tomorrow at 16% interest. Establishing credit is important, because someday you will want to buy a house or car or something. Some jobs run credit as well.

5. Just1More

Just1More

Why get a credit card? Just start saving cash. You're thinking the way they want you to think.

6. Lichter21c

Lichter21c

Yeah right now im working two until my school starts again. then I will go back to one... I have a Debt card from my Credit union and it also works as a Credit. but it dosent build my credit.

7. Lichter21c

Lichter21c

well I dont NEED a credit card I guess. I am just really needing to build my credit to a healthy limit. I plan to be moved into my own place within a year and I dont see things going all that smooth if I have absolutely no credit.

thank you very much for the advice. if there was a way I could build credit without the card...I would do that in a heart beat.

8. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

:thumbsup:

You don't need credit. This is one of the biggest lies ever fed to the American people.

IGF

9. Lichter21c

Lichter21c

Yeah I tried Mobile, Bp, Shell and Quik trip... I was denied from them all on the spot.

Also, the thing I really wanted to do is use this credit card for exactly what you are talking about. I will use it for gas, going out to dinner and small expenses that I could make the full payment on the next day.

I do not plan on buying anything big with it... and if I do, I will save what I need to save then pay it off as soon as it shows up on my Statement.

And the whole "job running a credit report" is exactly why I want to start building right now.

Thanks for your advice, I can use everything my brain can soak up.

10. CitizenOfDreams

CitizenOfDreams

Don't listen to the hippies here who say "you don't need a credit card". You WILL need a good credit history at some point in your life.

Talk to your bank (you do have a bank account, right?). They will tell you how to start. You may have to start with a "prepaid" credit card which takes a small deposit and has yearly maintenance fees. That will start your credit history, so in a year or so you will be able to get a "real" credit card with no fees.

Read the small print. Pay your card in full within the grace period. Do not buy anything you cannot afford, unless it's an emergency (a new tire for your daily commuter vehicle counts as an emergency; a new gun or a Playstation does not).

11. GlockPride

GlockPride Glock 23

You can simply explain to the nice company that wants to hire you that you are great with money, thereby eliminating your need for credit and that is why you have no score.

Stay away from the credit cards! You don't need them. You can rent and pay on-time every month and have a job for two years and be manually underwritten for a home mortgage.

12. Lichter21c

Lichter21c

haha yeah I was pretty sure I needed a good credit rating also,

The advice to talk to my bank is a pretty good idea, I never really thought about that. I will talk to them later this week when I do my banking.

Thank you for the advice and I promise I am going to take advantage of that as soon as I can. oo and I usually dont make any spur of the moment decisions like new guns or play stations, although I am really tempted sometimes. I just couldnt see myself digging a huge hole that would kill me to get out of.

thanks for the help man, I appreciate it.

13. G21craig

G21craig

When I was younger, I would get the inserts out of magazines I read, fill them out, check the box that said bill me, they would, and next thing you know the credit card folks started sending me pre- approved credit card apps. Now that was more than twenty years ago too.

14. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

Credit cards CAN be a asset. If you control them instead of letting them control you. You don't need to FEAR them. (like some anti's fear guns) :)

As said your bank/credit union, secured credit card.etc

Yrs ago they gave anyone/everyone cards. Now they needed income in order to LOWER the credit limit on my FIL card. (his info was stolen I got it taken care of but they could have taken over $20k so now$5k is limits)

Have you checking account set to auto pay card (so no late payments) I would try Discover and gas cards as first cards.

15. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Cosmopolitan Bias

Some people have their first glass of wine and it eventually ruins their life and they never recover.

Others can have a glass every evening with dinner and a couple of beers with their buddies watching a game.

Credit is the same way. Know which one you are going in.

16. JRS

JRS

Not having good credit can and likely will, at some point, really hurt you. Even the most mundane things like what you get in terms of car insurance rates are nearly all, at least to some degree, based on your credit.

I did the Canada to US move less than 2 years ago and had to start over credit-wise.

After getting turned down for what I thought were shoe-in cards (some replies even came back as a type of application "error", and said that they declined me because they couldn't find ANY history), I got smart, and got the only secured (pre-paid) card still being offered, which is from Bank of America. I hate the bank and don't bank with them, but their secured card is what got my credit started down the right path.

17. CitizenOfDreams

CitizenOfDreams

Actually, I personally would advise against "auto pay" unless it's a fixed predetermined amount like your monthly cable bill. Even then you have to watch it carefully to avoid accidental overdrafts (and overdraft fees).

Automatic withdrawals are good for the banks (it's cheaper than check processing), so they will do their best to encourage you to sign up to as many automatic payments as you can. But it's not always in YOUR best interest.

18. cgwahl

cgwahl Sheriffs a near

http://www.cardoffers.com is an option...but I'd just start out with a card from your bank/CU or gas card.

Having said that, stop going crazy filling out CC apps...you're actually making yourself look worse cause they're doing a hard pull on your history each time.

If or when you ever get one, just be sure to pay it off each month. Don't believe the hype that you have to carry a balance (ie. pay interest) to help your score.

I don't know if they do it anymore since things are different now, but the first week of college, they'd have like a hundred tables/booths of stuff and a good chunk of them would be CC booths. Fill the app out for a bag or something. Can always try that I guess. Beyond that, just make sure whatever you do end up with doesn't have an annual fee.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2010