close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Need a cable router recommendation

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by TenMillimeter, Feb 4, 2006.

1. TenMillimeter

TenMillimeter

I've got two PC's running XP Pro, and Bellsouth DSL Lite with a Westell DSL modem. Only one is currently connected to the internet. I've installed Cat-5 cable from one wall jack to another, and now I'm searching for a good router. I'm clueless on what to get, so I'd like to ask for some recommendations on types and brands. I'm running Zone Alarm's free basic firewall, but from what I gather, it's only good for a single PC, and not a network, so I'd need a router with a built-in firewall.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

2. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

I've been buying refurbished equipment for my personal use and also for business use. That way you can get higher end equipment with more bells and whistles for low prices. However, you won't get a manual, and you have to be prepared to use your knowledge to set it up. If you know someone who is comfortable with it, it may be a way to go. For instance, I just found this on JustDeals (I buy from them quite a bit):

http://store.yahoo.com/justdeals/fvl328nar.html

That's a nice router/switch combo for home/small business use with a decent firewall and VPN tunnels.

Those things tend to be snapped up quick, but you can check their main page from time to time:

http://www.justdeals.com/

3. srhoades

srhoades

I got a great deal from justdeals on a refurbished router. Turns out everyone but me new the router was junk which is why it was so cheap. I can't fault justdeals since I didn't do my homework but the router itself was in great condition.

4. pyblood

pyblood

I have Bellsouth DSL with the Westel modem too, and I currently don’t use a router. The Westell modem also serves as a router. I am using a gigabit switch to share the DSL with my computers.

I would recommend buying a 802.11G wireless router, because they aren’t much more expensive than a regular router. Plus you’ll have the wireless feature in case you ever want/need it. You can always disable the wireless radio until you need it.

5. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

That's the danger, but it's independent of whether you buy refurb or new. I have a similar one on my home network to the one I listed above (by the way, I just checked, and they already sold it out - I was thinking of buying one for a friend of mine - JohnG27, did you snap it up?), and it's been flawless. I bought one with an Australian power supply, but those cost $5 extra at Fry's, so who cares.

I also have entire classroom equipped with hubs and switches from JustDeals, and they also travel with me round the world on presentations. It's amazing how much those little blue Netgear buggers can withstand. :) And even if the shipper manages to break them (I don't exactly baby them in packing), at the refurb prices I won't cry. :)

6. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1527514&CatId=0

Extremely easy to set up, great firewall, SPI, VPN, etc.

I'd highly recommend gettign a firewall, lot of Internet Nasties out there. I personally wouldn't be online w/o a firewall. I've saw several probe attacks turned back by mine, and I come up completely covered on any port probe I use....

Good luck
    IGF

PS:
    srhoades, what kind of router, was the "junk" router from justdeals?

7. Blitzer

Blitzer Cool Cat

Then add Zone Labs internet security suite with firewall, anti-virus, anti spyware, malware, etc.

I currently use the product ZoneAlarmPro and it is very good.

www.zonelabs.com :cool: ;f

8. srhoades

srhoades

Netgear WGT634U. And if you have any doubts go check out the netgear support forum. The DHCP server in the router didn't even work until the 3rd firmware release.

But the most annoying part is that the wireless function will just disapear. Your connection will drop and the router is not accessible via the local login nor does it even show up in the listed wireless networks detected by windows. Only thing that will fix it is a power cycling of the router, which you end up doing about 3 times a day.

Oh, and the dynamic ip updating service never worked either. And I also forgot that the attatched storage feature would just disapear as well.

I just replaced it with a Lynksys WRT54G and couldn't be happier.

9. astrolux

astrolux

i've used linksys, netgear and apple's airport extreme base station and been pleased with all three.

all routers act as a firewall in the sense that they "hide" your IP address. a hacker will be able to see there is a computer at such and such IP address, but they won't be able to see specifically where it is. by no means does this mean you shouldn't run a personal firewall in addition to the router. xp service pack 2 has one built into it, you can also try mcafee's or norton's internet security software.

10. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

Please do not confuse a NAT device with a full-blown stateful firewall. If you value your network, you should have the latter in addition to NAT on your router. Personal firewall is not a substitute for that, but an addition at best.

11. astrolux

astrolux

exactly

12. TenMillimeter

TenMillimeter

No, I ended up installing a Belkin that my Dad had laying around and gave to me. It has a built-in firewall. We tried a Gigabit (forgot the model #) that he also had laying around, but could not get it set up to work. Extremely user unfriendly.

BTW, I had to disable Zone Alarm (free version) and revert back to the Win firewall once I hooked up the network. I had McAfee firewall on one machine, and ZA on the other. I could not access the internet at all on the machine with ZA, but I could on the one with McAfee. Now, if I could only find a good free firewall that will work on a network. My McAfee subscription runs out in a couple of weeks, and I don't plan on renewing.