Need a BUG

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by AcenJay, Jan 29, 2010.

1. AcenJay

AcenJay

I need a BUG that I can conceal in my pocket at all times for the very rare instance I might not be carrying my G23 or if the G23 is somehow unable to be drawn or used. I used to try to pocket carry a G27, but it felt like there was a brick in my pocket and a store clerk almost made me out, reaching for it and asking what I have in there. I'd like to see the input of others comparing the ones I'm interested in. My current frontrunners are:

Kel-tec PF-9 - Have seen less than favorable feedback regarding reliability and quality, but it's 9mm
    S&W 642, no lock - Kind of thick in the cylinder area
    Ruger LCP - Would be easiest to conceal, but .380 is miniscule and expensive

2. JUSTBOB

JUSTBOB

S&W 642 in a Desantis Nemisis pocket holster. The Nemisis helps blend the shape well.

3. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

My BUG is a S&W 642.
    There are smaller choices but for a BUG, I believe in UTTER reliability.
    And that means a revolver. The best for a pocket carry, for me, is the 642

4. Dan_ntx

Dan_ntx

My 642 is always in my pocket, and nobody knows it but me. I think you will find that the rounded curvy shape of the revolver disguises itself well under fabric, and the 642 or other centennial J frames are great pocket guns. Fewer places for pocket lint to get trapped and rock solid reliability are just a couple, but I like the round better than .380.

Just make sure your pockets are deep enough to avoid having the butt peek out the corner when sitting (that whole sentence was weird to write) and you are good to go.

I got my 642 a few years back and from day one it has been in my pocket 100% of the time.

5. Rick50

Rick50 average guy

I carried a colt Plus II in 380, very concealable

thanks
    R

6. Myke_Hart

Myke_Hart Handloader

Diamond back 380

AKA "mini glock"

Its pretty sweet!

[​IMG]

7. TwinFourFives

TwinFourFives

The kel tec pf9 is imo the best pocket gun out there. I've got one. It will be reliable as long as you can grip it tight. Keep your wrist tight. Only way it will jam up is by limp wristing - take it to the range and learn the ways of the little dragon.

8. Bilbo Bagins

Bilbo Bagins Slacked jawed

The more I read about the Diamondback the more promising it looks. It reminds me of the Kahr 380, just without that insane pricetag.

Speaking about Kahr, if you don't like the Kel Tec Pf9 you can always get a PM9

9. AcenJay

AcenJay

The reason I left the PM9 off my list is because of the insane price tag. I never heard of the Diamondback before, that's another interesting one to consider.

10. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

I like m LCP .380 with a CT in a Nemesis pocket holster loaded with 90gr Gold Dots.

11. Hugo R

Hugo R Gaff G26 User!

I actually forget I'm carrying my LCP the way it rides in my support side front pocket. I use a Galco PRO 460 holster and no one knows it's there except me.

Ammo is NOT that expensive if you have a decent shop where you live. Besides, you're only going to shoot ball for practice and training and not that much to boot. SD ammo you only have to shoot a little to know where it hits and how it feels.

Tiny is the way to go for me. So the LCP is perfect IMHO!

HR

p.s. and it works without any hiccups:cool:

12. EL COLONEL

EL COLONEL

13. AcenJay

AcenJay

Why an LCR over a 642 though?

14. hiram2005p0

hiram2005p0

Better trigger pull and less recoil and better price in my case.

15. adamg01

adamg01

I think the PPS is a spectacular weapon. Maybe a little much for the pocket though, you will have to judge that for yourself. I have 75 flawless rounds through my Micro Eagle and I thought it handled really well. It is put together better than your typical pocket pistol. The price and slightly extra weight shows it. It has a really long pull that takes some getting use to but I managed.

16. jsm190

jsm190

I thought so too until I bought a PM9, you get what you pay for. I had a PF-9 and as stated if you keep a death grip on it you are good to go, you can almost forget about shooting it one handed if need be as you will be lucky to get two shots before it jams. I try to get my PM9 to jam and can not do it, even with the old trigger finger thumb only hold (that one hurt but it still fed the next round).

I will say I have nothing against KT, I carry a P3AT 90% of the time. I am a Glock guy and never thought I would trust any other gun as much as my Glocks but I do my PM9. Just wanted to throw out my experience ( I've wasted a lot of money trying to find good carry guns).

P.s. 442/642 are also good recommendations if you can shoot them well. My target always looked more like I was using buckshot so I gave up on them, but others shoot them very well.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2010
  17. EL COLONEL

EL COLONEL

AJ LCR=better trigger , we-----ighs less , nicer grips , ..............

18. dosei

dosei

Ruger LCR...
    Better trigger than S&W's, light weight, good price, and I greatly prefer 38+P over 380 any day.

19. MO's Dink

MO's Dink Giant Member

Another vote for the 642/442 here.

20. AcenJay

AcenJay

Interesting about the LCR, turn-offs for me though include polymer and aluminum in a revolver frame, and out of principle I refuse to buy any guns that have internal locks. Thanks for the responses so far, the 642 is looking like the best bet right now.