Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Wake Up America
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a stout .357 Sig defensive load recipe. Which powder and how many grains? Which bullet?

I have been reloading for many moons and know about starting low and working up. :wavey:

·
Registered
637 Posts
I use a 124gr Hornady XTP or 125gr Gold Dot with 8.8gr of Hodgdon Longshot, and a WIN SP primer. This is not a max load(still .5gr under max) and makes 1380fps.

I've shot about 400 of this load in my G23 with a G32 barrel in it.

Edit: I have also gotten defensive velocities with Alliant Blue Dot @10.6gr, with 125gr bullets, but the muzzle flash is larger in my experience.

·
Señor Mombo
2,855 Posts
Gold Dot 125 grain with 13 grains of AA#9.

·
Registered
35,930 Posts
The only real suitable bullet is the 125grGD or XTP. I like this one, but it's mine.

Hey, if you are gonna roll your own, might as well cast em too. Seriously, there are so few good bullets avaialable to handload the 357sig, shoot factory; HST, RangerT, RGSB, GD, several good choices. If you must, AA#9 works, I like Longshot.

·
Wake Up America
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. have some AA#9 on hand. How does longshot compare? Is it about the same speed or faster/slower?

·
Wake Up America
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Fred, I roll my own too. I started casting about a year ago. So far only cast 9mm and .45ACP. Which mold do you use to get that hollowpoint?

The only real suitable bullet is the 125grGD or XTP. I like this one, but it's mine.

Hey, if you are gonna roll your own, might as well cast em too. Seriously, there are so few good bullets avaialable to handload the 357sig, shoot factory; HST, RangerT, RGSB, GD, several good choices. If you must, AA#9 works, I like Longshot.

·
Registered
35,930 Posts
Thanks guys. have some AA#9 on hand. How does longshot compare? Is it about the same speed or faster/slower?
LS is a bit faster, works well though w/ about 20% less powder.

·
Wake Up America
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I also read about AA#9 filling the case to a point to assist in preventing bullet setback. Sounds like a win/win with #9.

How does the muzzle flash compare between #9 and LS?

·
Registered
637 Posts
LongShot fills up above the shoulder of the case, and up to the neck if you run the max load. I've never had an issue with setback, as long as I use a suitable bullet.

·
Registered
35,930 Posts
Blast seems alittle less w/ LS. I haven't shot them at night, don't care, I only carry factory.

·
Wake Up America
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Blast seems alittle less w/ LS. I haven't shot them at night, don't care, I only carry factory.
Thanks. Can I ask why you only carry factory?

·
Registered
35,930 Posts
Thanks. Can I ask why you only carry factory?
Besides the possible legal ramifications, the bullets are better & not available to handloaders. I like the HST, Ranger & Rem GSB, none of those are available to reload. The 125grGDHP is a great bullet, but I only need a box ro two every 3-4yrs, factory works fine. I practice w/ equiv vel reloads using cheaper FMJ. My choice. If you are going to make your own SD loads, the 125gr GDHP or XTP are really your only options.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Fred,
What is your powder weight with Longshot and 124/125gn bullets?

·
Registered
35,930 Posts
Fred,
What is your powder weight with Longshot and 124/125gn bullets?
I load 125gr MG FMJ o/ 8.8gr @ 1.140"OAL, makes 1290fps in my 239 & nearly 1400fps in my USP. With a 124gr Berry's FP, 1230fps in the P239. I would consider that pushing max, so workup, especially if using the longer XTP or MG JHP.

·
Registered
938 Posts
I load 125gr MG FMJ o/ 8.8gr @ 1.140"OAL, makes 1290fps in my 239 & nearly 1400fps in my USP. With a 124gr Berry's FP, 1230fps in the P239. I would consider that pushing max, so workup, especially if using the longer XTP or MG JHP.

I just scored 2-1lb containers of Longshot at a PA gun show today for $15 ea. Are those standard or mag primers for the loads?

·
Registered
35,930 Posts
I just scored 2-1lb containers of Longshot at a PA gun show today for $15 ea. Are those standard or mag primers for the loads?
Standard sm pistol. Good score on the powder.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Thanks Fred. Maybe reloading some this week.

·
Registered
35,930 Posts
Thanks Fred. Maybe reloading some this week.
Let us know how you like it. I like LS in the 10mm & I'm sure it will be a good max effort 40 powder as well.

·
Wake Up America
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Fred,

I have a bunch of the 124gr Berry's FP. Have you loaded any of them with AA#9? If so, what was your load? Do they handle high velocities OK? I have heard of them coming apart at higher velocities. Thanks!

·
Registered
938 Posts
Fred,

I have a bunch of the 124gr Berry's FP. Have you loaded any of them with AA#9? If so, what was your load? Do they handle high velocities OK? I have heard of them coming apart at higher velocities. Thanks!
I load them with 13gn AA9 without issue although there is a lot of residue left inside the slide. That load is really meant to be loaded with magnum primers to get top velocity. The only issue is that when they go bang the other people in the indoor range think a cannon went off.:rofl:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts