close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Need .223 Remington Advice

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Kentucky Shooter, Feb 7, 2010.

1. Kentucky Shooter

Kentucky Shooter NRA Life Member

I have loaded lots of .223 Remington, but recently loaded up some inadvertently with a shorter OAL than I am used to. They were loaded to 2.185" OAL with 25.8 grains of H335, a 50 grain Remington Soft Point bullet and winchester small rifle primers. I usually have an OAL of around 2.235" for this load------long story on what happened to cause me to have this shorter length. Does anyone anticipate this shorter OAL will cause me problems in terms of pressure (or anything else)?

2. Brass Nazi

Brass Nazi NO BRASS FOR U!

How many did you load? If under a hundred or so pulling them and reloading them may be the best option. Although, using an inertia puller with the light bullets sucks!

It will raise pressures. How close to a max load were you? If it were me if it were a starting load or close to it I would shoot them. If it was a medium to a max load I would work the load up with different powder charges using the too shot OAL. If the current load is proven OK after the work up they should be good to go. Bear in mind that the different OAL may affect the accuracy obtained.

3. unclebob

unclebob DFC, MSM, 13 Air Medals.

In my Speer manual #13 it list Using H335 powder with the Speer 50gr. Spitzer SP bullet at 2.185 with a powder charge between 25.0 and 27.0gr. They also used a CCI Magnum primer with that load. So in using those parameters I would say you are good too go. Shoot a couple and check for pressure signs.

4. Kentucky Shooter

Thanks-I loaded about 25. I don't have any way to pull the bullets----25.8 grains is not maximum but a pretty strong load.

5. Kentucky Shooter

I think I will try 2 or 3 watching for pressure signs and a chronograph to check velocity-----thanks for the advice.

6. dudel

dudel

I have some factory PMC w/55gr FMJ loaded to 2.19. I bought the stuff for the cases.