close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Neat site for WW2 aviation enthusiasts

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Bullman, Mar 23, 2004.

1. Bullman

Bullman Deranged Deputy

I was looking around the net here a while back and stumbled across this site and thought I might share it with the rest of you. It has some very neat essays on different WW2 fighters and on some ships if you are into that sort of thing. I found that they had a very interesting outlook on some fighters that I have always considered to be dogs. For instance, the P-40 was never really given a whole lot of respect as far as being a great fighter, even though it was produced in very large numbers. The essay on the P-40 really sort of changes the outlook and shows it's successes, and how it should have been used. They even paint the Bell P-39 Airacobra in a favorable light.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/index3.naval_military_history.htm

hope that some of you may find it as interesting as I did.

2. engineer151515

engineer151515

The P40 and the F4F Wildcat held the line in the Pacific until the onset of the F6F and F4U. Slugging it out daily for about two years. Plus the P40 did service in N. Africa. Have to give the plane some credit. P38 is a real stand-out also. The only US fighter in production entirely through the war.

3. Bullman

Bullman Deranged Deputy

It is interesting that while the P-40 and F4F couldn't compete with the Zero on it's terms, They could compete if they made the Zero fight their fight, Teamwork and diving speed.

4. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine