close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Featured Glock 17 Nearly a new owner (talk me into it).

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by G19G384, Jul 13, 2017.

1. G19G384

G19G384

I'm currently selling a couple of pistols I own to consolidate my stock for the moment. I'm relatively new to the gun owning world and I think I'd be better off with one for now instead of two. The one that I would have normally kept is too hard for me to field strip these days. Anyway, I'm looking at a Glock 19 or 17 as a be all end all gun. Both are gen 4. I'm leaning toward the 17 because the grip on the 19 causes me to scrunch my pinky into my ring finger to get a good grip. The 17 gives me more room. There's a few other guns from different companies that I'm also interested in. Should I go for the Glock? Why?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kennydale likes this.
  2. loc

loc

Depends on your intended use on the model you choose. As for Glock vs others. They all have pros and cons. Buy what you like. I buy Glock for dependability and easy to operate and minimal moving parts. Ford or Chevy? Ping or Taylor Made? Dark Chocolate or Milk Chocolate?

3. OBG17

OBG17

I have both in Gen4. I carry the G19 more than the G17 but I like them both very much. They are very reliable and fun to shoot. I also have the CZ PCR (G19 size) and the CZ 75 BD (G17 size) and like them a whole bunch too. They also are very reliable and fun to shoot. You should try out the ones you are interested in before buying. I've made too many mistakes on buying solely based on written/video reviews and/or forum opinions.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
    n2g and G19 fan like this.
  4. DADoser

DADoser

5. Cdivebum

Cdivebum

G17 absolutely in my humble opinion

Sent from my SM-J727T1 using Tapatalk

HEXE9 likes this.
  6. HEXE9

HEXE9 Shootin' Fool

+1 Cdivebum

The G17 is what all others are judged on and aspire to be.

You will not find a more reliable and tested firearm anywhere, regardless of price or country of origin.

nikolaz and Cdivebum like this.
  7. Taco Junkie

Taco Junkie Female bicycle seat thief

Don't do it.

Why get something reliable, accurate, thoroughly vetted under the most stringent conditions, that has a wide array of parts and accessories readily available and easy to use and maintain?

Save yourself a bunch of money and get a Hi-Point and avoid all of the above nonsense.

dj45, nikolaz, jayglocker and 7 others like this.
  8. halfmoonclip

halfmoonclip

If the 19 is a bad fit, then get the 17. It will run all the time, the sights are easy for anyone to see, and it is a mild kicker.
    Glock triggers do take some getting used to.
    Moon

9. First shot

First shot

If someone has to talk you into it, that's not good. lol. Either one of those pistols are top shelf IMO. What does the field stripping problem stem from? Arthritis, eyesight, harder than a Glock? Just curious, no disrespect intended by any means. I can do my Glocks, my M&P 45, and my old 1911. I've done a Bersa that's not mine a few times, took a few tries, but that's the extent for me. I know, from videos, that some can be tricky at first.

10. G19G384

G19G384

Screw hi point! Lol it might jam on me during dry fire. But, good points. The "other brands I'm looking at are top brands like Sig, S&W, H&K, just to name a few.

11. G19G384

G19G384

My SD9VE was the problem. I just have trouble holding the take down mechanism. It was an issue when I bought it but figured I would get used to it. No rounds through it but I just can't get it.
    Anyway, I also have that trouble with the APX. I forgot to try field stripping the M&P 2.0, or the VP9. However, I can field strip the Steyr M9A1 and the P320.

12. Borg Warner

Borg Warner

"The one that I would have normally kept is too hard for me to field strip" That's one very good reason to get a Glock. they are very easy to field strip, And if the G17 is the best fit, that's the one to get. Glocks are reliable and durable and over the years many Glocks have been subjected to many thousands of rounds of ammo and just kept on working.

I've owned and carried handguns since the Mid 1970's and at first only revolvers and 1911's then I tried different semi-autos but never found one I liked or felt that I could rely on except for a Smith and Wesson model 39 which was reliable but had a DA/SA trigger which I don't like.

When I for my first Glock, a police turn-in Generation 2 G19 I was very impressed by it because of it's reliability with any kind of ammo. I didn't like the trigger at first and had a trigger job done but now I've owned and shot other Glocks and other striker fired pistols the Glock factory trigger is fine once you get used to it and once it's broken in. What I like about Glocks most of all is their basic simplicity.

Wastedgenius313 likes this.
  13. G19G384

G19G384

I've heard that about Glocks.Is this still the case for the Gen 4?
    Don't get me wrong guys. I am going to do my own testing but am curious as to what others think.

14. ThrowinRocks

ThrowinRocks

The easiest pistol to take down that I've ever owned was a Bursa Thunder Ultra Compact Pro 9mm. Another is the Sig P250/320 and my new H&K P30SK.

As for Hi-Points?
    Watch DemolitionRanch How tough is a Hi-point. lol
    It survives a direct hit in the chamber and still shoots.

15. svtpwnz

svtpwnz

You answered you're own question and the Glock 17 is what you seek my friend. Every firearms enthusiast should own a G17 or G19 or both!

G19 fan, G19G384 and Cdivebum like this.
  16. ThrowinRocks

ThrowinRocks

Why? Just to say you own one? or?

17. Cdivebum

Cdivebum

FOR myself it's the only handgun I trust 100% in combat situations which I have been in much to much Times.
    To each there own & everyone has an opinion. Personally I don't own any other autoloader pistol except GLOCK

Sent from my SM-J727T1 using Tapatalk

18. ThrowinRocks

ThrowinRocks

Trusting any one handgun 100% doesn't make the best of any gun.
    Like you said. Opinion. lol

19. GlockFan7

GlockFan7

The 17 and it's .40 cousin the Glock 22 are probably my least favorite Glocks. I prefer the 19 and 23.

Camdenbullit52 and Scrappy like this.
  20. maxmanta

maxmanta

Heh..... I thought you were talking about the Hi Power for a moment.