Near new glock had round rusted in the barrel. Hoppes bore foam?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by alfred10, Sep 25, 2020.

1. alfred10

alfred10

I bought a gen 4 model 22 new 4 months ago. I fired 500 flawless rounds and cleaned it. I chambered a round and it sat. I go to unchanged and the slide feels stuck. I pull very hard and the round slowly comes free. It has rust all over it and the chamber. Could this be the Hoppes bore foam after effects?

Glock said to send the barrel back. Can a serial numbered barrel be shipped without an ffl?

2. Small_Axe

Small_Axe

Idk about "bore foam", but if you leave residual Hoppes no. 9 in the bore and then leave a round chambered, it will react with the metals of the cartridge. Make sure to follow-up with a dry patch after using a bore solvent.

Paul53 likes this.

3. Nagoya10

Nagoya10

Yes, you can send the barrel without an FFL. And also Yes, the bore foam probably caused the rust since apparently some others have had the issue, doing a Google search. I would guess you need to follow up the bore foam with Hoppes #9 or an oil cleaning to remove the bore foam crap.

Hoppes #9 is all you need to clean with, period. Then use oil and grease for lubricants.

ETA: Hoppes #9 will not cause rust on a chambered round. Especially if you run some dry patches through after use. #9 can cause the oil or grease to turn slightly green, however, from any residual copper remains but will not rust. It takes moisture for rust to occur.

lilPerut, GlockyQ, Bus007 and 2 others like this.
  4. ShipWreck

ShipWreck Beretta 92 Nut!

Guns made in EUrope has the serial # on the slide, barrel and frame. US made guns (and US law) only requires in on the frame/receiver.

So, you might end up with a non matching # on the barrel, if they replace it. But, yes. The barrel can be put into US mail.

ONLY the receiver cannot be mailed by you (unless you use fed ex or UPS - but not by USPS unless you have an FFL)

spork likes this.
  5. Small_Axe

Small_Axe

Have you tried cleaning the corrosion out of the barrel? I have a feeling it's a byproduct of the Hoppes working on the metals of the cartridge. Your barrel/chamber may be fine underneath it.

Buckshot Barry likes this.
  6. alfred10

alfred10

What should I use to clean it

7. MajorD

MajorD

Generally for glocks I use a dry bore brush ( brass not the soft nylon one supplied with the gun) a few passes then a few passes of a dry clean patch. I use no solvents at all and it comes out just fine. I only tend to clean every couple months and average round count interval between cleanings is about 500-750 rounds.
    My typical cleaning session lasts 5 minutes or so.
    If I get something really dirty for some reason, regular hoppes #9 or whatever else I happen to have on hand. A 4 ounce bottle of solvent lasts me years.

8. oldmick

oldmick

I think I would just do a few passes with a dry bore brush then wet a patch with CLP, run it through a few times and let it set for a few minutes. Then a clean dry patch with a cleaning jag and repeat until you get a clean patch. Then inspect barrel.

It might just be good to go.

Bus007 likes this.
  9. Small_Axe

Small_Axe

Seriously? How have you been cleaning it? Just spraying the foaming stuff down the bore?

Try running an oiled patch through the barrel a couple times, then use a bronze brush. Follow that up with a dry patch.

10. KindOfBlue

KindOfBlue

Yes it can and I highly recommend Glock's customer service. They will take care of you I guarantee it.

I also discovered the tornado brushes which are awesome for cleaning. They have steel coils that don't scratch the barrel but are tough on powder, lead and copper. Much more thorough than the nylon brush supplied with my Glock.

external-content.duckduckgo.jpg

11. Bradd D

Bradd D

I stopped using solvents years ago. I just use a Boresnake after each shooting session now. I field strip and wipe everything down every 1000 rounds which is about once a month.

If you're going to use some sort of solvent, you need to run a oiled patch and then a dry patch through the bore when you're done cleaning.

I would just use a bronze bore brush and some Hoppe's No. 9 to try and clean everything up before sending the barrel to Glock.

Bus007 likes this.
  12. domino1

domino1

Was it a steel cased round?

-JCN-, rogn, Grumpy_old_man and 2 others like this.
  13. 4949shooter

4949shooter

I always dry out the chamber and breach face with a clean patch on my carry carry guns prior to loading. There is no telling what solvents and oils will do to your primers. We don;t need a squib load when it counts.

Kudos to you for checking your gun and chambered round.

14. cciman

cciman MacGyver

Shooting FMJ?? There is no real need to use anything special.

I use the plastic bore brush and dish soap and water- maybe once a year, if that. 25 year old Glock -- hits targets just fine. I can't tell the difference between a clean barrel vs. a dirty one-- all place holes where I want them.

Grumpy_old_man likes this.
  15. Small_Axe

Small_Axe

[​IMG]

16. Intolerant

Intolerant

Last edited: Sep 25, 2020
  17. amd65

amd65

A patch wet with CLP, wrapped around a brass brush, does a great job on dirty chambers.
    Nah, I wouldn’t bother Glock unless a proper cleaning effort had no effect on whatever is in that chamber.

18. Small_Axe

Small_Axe

Just f**king swab the bore out. I accidentally did the same thing with a S&W revolver. Hopped reacts with different metals if left in contact. The Glock barrel finish is very hard and I'm almost 100% certain it will be fine with a little gun oil and elbow grease.

Bus007 likes this.
  19. Bradd D

Bradd D

The recommendation is based on the OP not being solvent averse. I never would have been in the OP's position.

20. Grease Gunner

Grease Gunner

Wait you clean a Glock?? I just pull the slide off mine then toss it in the dishwasher.....mean it’s shootig Tupperware right?!

Seriously tho I use Hoppes 9 and call it a day when I actually clean my EDC and that’s once a month no matter how much I shoot it.