NE, NJ, CT, TN Info Updates. Handgunlaw.us & State Contacts

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by Gary Slider, Feb 14, 2020.

1. Gary Slider

Gary Slider

Nebraska/New Jersey – Nebraska will no longer honor the New Jersey Permit to carry. Not sure why they dropped them. https://statepatrol.nebraska.gov/services/concealed-handgun-permits/nebraska-reciprocity

Tennessee now has a two tier permit system. They changed the name of their regular permit to Enhanced Permit and now issue a “Concealed Only Permit” that doesn’t allow for open carry, is cheaper and takes less training. This permit will not be honored in as many states as their Enhanced Permit. North Dakota and Nebraska have already stated they would not honor the Tennessee Concealed Permit. https://www.tn.gov/safety/tnhp/handgun/apply.html

Connecticut’s Office of Legislative Research has put out a Summary of State Gun Laws. It is very comprehensive and has links to all the relevant laws coving each section. For Connecticut residents it is a must read to keep up with all the laws you must abide by.
    https://www.cga.ct.gov/2020/rpt/pdf/2020-R-0025.pdf

Politics - Seems there are more anti-gun bills being introduced in state legislatures this year than I can ever remember. It also seems to me there are more and more anti gun politicians. We all need to contact our state/national reps and voice our opinions on bills we like or don’t like. Links to all state Legislatures can be found at https://www.congress.gov/state-legislature-websites

www.handgunlaw.us – February 6, 2006 Handgunlaw.us came online. We are now in our 14th year of supplying carry information on all the states. The above changes will be updated on Handgunlaw.us late this evening or early tomorrow.

Lord, Caver 60, rayzer007 and 11 others like this.
  2. Professor Zero

Professor Zero

Thank you, Gary. Your work is appreciated

Lord, Caver 60, n2g and 3 others like this.

3. rock_castle

rock_castle "Give me liberty or give me death!"

We really appreciate the good work you do, Gary. Thank you.

Caver 60 and Gray_Rider like this.
  4. oregon9mm

oregon9mm

Thanks much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

5. sixgun2

sixgun2 packin heat

Thx very much. This is my go to site for all related an up to date state laws.

6. First shot

First shot

Yes, you certainly deserve a “Thank You” for bringing this to our attention...I myself have been doing a little digging and putting a lot of thought in to what’s been happening recently across our nation from the “anti-gun” crowd...Here’s my version...President Trump himself, along with his policies, his stubbornness, his courage to fight back with the MSM, his no BS attitude, has set the Leftists back a long long way in a very short time...THEY ARE NOT HAPPY, and that is plain to see.. I’ve read hundreds of posts in the past year referring to how the Left is still using the same 40 year old playbook from the Clinton days..Yes they are!!! Gun control will always be a big issue to them and we all know that... This latest wave of attacks on our 2nd amendment rights are damned scary to me...But, at the same, I know that the Left is just falling back to the playbook.. This time however, President Trump has them in such a panic that they are doubling-down on it just to fight back...I think that if we understand our opponents motives, it will help us defeat them....

7. Gary Slider

Gary Slider

Thank you gentlemen for the kind words. They are very much appreciated.

sixgun2, Caver 60, n2g and 1 other person like this.
  8. Syclone0538

Syclone0538

I've checked the site several times before going on trips. Never knew a Co-Owner was a GT member. Thank you for the awesome site, and all the hard work I'm sure it took to put together.

Caver 60 likes this.
  9. Kentucky fan

Kentucky fan

The more the left attacks guns the better off we are. The fact of the matter is that this isnt 1992 everyone has access to the sum of human knowledge at their fingertips. I know many hardcore pinko commie liberals who when they see that gun laws are looser than since the 1960s but every year violent crimes go down they tend to lose interest in gun control. This is something that will happen more and more, however we have to do our part spread facts dont be mean to antigunners be the bigger person and show them that they are wrong with hard verifiable facts. Take a liberal shooting I have a gay couple I am friends with whom I took to buds one time, after seeing the sales staff treat them like adults and talk about their needs they bought matching g19s used their free range time together and then took a class. Now they are starting to question all of their other liberal beliefs and I would guarantee they will vote trump 2020. Sometimes all we have to do is communicate and if done in a calm and concise manner people will listen.

First shot likes this.
  10. First shot

First shot

Thanks for reading my post and a big thanks for the reply...We are definitely part of a fast growing team... Gotta keep it rolling...lol...

Kentucky fan likes this.
  11. redneck ron

redneck ron

Thank you for your hard work.

12. Mudshark100

Mudshark100

Thanks for the information. Was not aware of the changes in Tennessee. Do you know if Tennessee reciprocity considers out of state permits the same as the Enhance Permit or the lower tier concealed carry permit? Can I open carry in Tennessee with a South Carolina permit?

Caver 60 likes this.
  13. FastEddieFL

FastEddieFL

Thank you Sir, very much appreciated!!

14. Gary Slider

Gary Slider

Any valid permit issued by another state is valid in TN. That permit would be the same as their Enhanced Permit. You need a TN Enhanced or any permit issued in another state to open carry in TN.

39-17-1351. Enhanced Handgun Carry Permit Handgun Carry Permits.

(r) (1) A facially valid handgun permit, firearms permit, weapons permit or license issued by another state shall be valid in this state according to its terms and shall be treated as if it is a handgun permit issued by this state; provided, however, this subsection (r) shall not be construed to authorize the holder of any out-of-state permit or license to carry, in this state, any firearm or weapon other than a handgun.

(2) For a person to lawfully carry a handgun in this state based upon a permit or license issued in another state, the person must be in possession of the permit or license at all times the person carries a handgun in this state.

Caver 60 likes this.
  15. Mudshark100

Mudshark100

Thanks Gary. I read this and don't see where it says if reciprocity is with the Enhanced Permit or the Concealed Carry Permit. Am I missing something?

16. picrthis

picrthis

New Jersey issues concealed carry permits?? who knew, please tell me more :)

17. G19 fan

G19 fan

On the site, it states:
    The following states have standards equal to or greater than the standards contained in Nebraska's Statute:
    I have OR resident & UT non resident permits. (both are listed) Since there was no range time or real demonstration of competency involved, just a 4 hour class/discussion, NE standards must not be all that strict either.

18. Mudshark100

Mudshark100

FYI. I went straight to the source and asked the Tennessee Department of Safety & Homeland, Handgun Permit Unit. I received the following response:

The Tennessee Concealed Handgun Carry Permit requires the handgun to be carried concealed where the Enhanced allows you to carry open or concealed.

T.C.A. §39-17-1351 makes a facially valid handgun permit, firearms permit, weapons permit or license issued by another state valid in this state according to its terms and shall be treated as if it is a handgun permit issued by Tennessee. This does not authorize any firearm or weapon other than a handgun.

“According to its terms” means if your permit specifies concealed carry, you may only carry concealed.

- See a list of handgun related laws at: https://www.tn.gov/content/tn/safety/handgunmain/handguntca.html

19. rayzer007

rayzer007

Thank you for updating us; it's really appreciated! :flag: